Hybrid motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbecks

Reaction score
I know where not aloud to discuss technique of building rocket motors so let's not do that.

Has anyone here tried to build their own hybrid motor? Has anyone here bought liquid oxygen? I know praxair sells it but is it hard to get?

If your here just to post "don't do it you pshyco" please save your breath. I would t do anything g like this with out the proper knowledge, safety, and licenses.

I know where not aloud to discuss technique of building rocket motors so let's not do that.

Has anyone here tried to build their own hybrid motor? Has anyone here bought liquid oxygen? I know praxair sells it but is it hard to get?

If your here just to post "don't do it you pshyco" please save your breath. I would t do anything g like this with out the proper knowledge, safety, and licenses.

I tried to design and build a 98mm Hybrid like Contrail but it's a lot of work.
It's easier to just buy the 75mm M motror, the fill system is simpler and only uses Nitrous, probably the simplest M system out there.
They have a nice K system if you want smaller.

I tried to design and build a 98mm Hybrid like Contrail but it's a lot of work.
It's easier to just buy the 75mm M motror, the fill system is simpler and only uses Nitrous, probably the simplest M system out there.
They have a nice K system if you want smaller.

I never thought of using nitrous that's a very good and interesting idea. Any chance you could link me to where I could buy the kits your talking about?

I never thought of using nitrous that's a very good and interesting idea. Any chance you could link me to where I could buy the kits your talking about?

www.performancehobbies.com
for the Contrail Hybrid motors and reloads.

The ground support equipment not too hard to build, wierd, Prathobbies site is offline, he has all the ground support equipment.

That Contrail M-1491 motor screamed like a Banshee when it left the pad. Echoed off the trees, too.
Lev 3-4.jpg

Attachments

• 2390.JPG
    2390.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

You can also look at Aerocon and some of the entries by Rattworks

Very few folks use LOX as

• It is hard (not to mention dangerous) to handle.
  • It is not self-pressurizing.
  • I don't think folks in the professional arena are going to sell you less that 80L at a crack. That is a big honking dewar flask.

Those obstacles are easily overcome by using nitrous oxide.

How can LOX not be self pressurizing? I have a hard time imagining that a small hybrid system would be -that- adiabatic.

Doug Pratt definitely has the best GSE or ground support equipment I have seen.

Have you seen the GSE that I offer? [video=youtube;vh3V2MvVK-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh3V2MvVK-w[/video]

https://www.contrailrockets.com/ https://www.hypertekhybrids.com/ Both sites are long since updated but all products are available as far as I know. I fly hybrids all the time. Where you at is Sask? Maybe I've asked before already? I'm by Lloydminster and we fly on our land in the fall every year. Fall Fire Launch at Kitscoty.

Jason

How can LOX not be self pressurizing? I have a hard time imagining that a small hybrid system would be -that- adiabatic.

To be honest, it is something that I read in my early foray into hybrids. Never bothered to run with it as I have experience with LOX on a professional level and have way too much respect for it to muck around at a hobby level.

To be honest, it is something that I read in my early foray into hybrids. Never bothered to run with it as I have experience with LOX on a professional level and have way too much respect for it to muck around at a hobby level.

That right there speaks volumes.

I work in petrochem research, where the mere mention of O2 sets people in a tizzy. So I respect your respect. It seems like about once a decade, someone around here blows up a vacuum system by accidentally condensing 'mere' air in a cryo-trap.

But I would think that a liquified gas would be the epitome of self-pressurizing. Give or take heat transfer. And a small system would have a lot of surface area compared to volume.

I work in petrochem research, where the mere mention of O2 sets people in a tizzy. So I respect your respect. It seems like about once a decade, someone around here blows up a vacuum system by accidentally condensing 'mere' air in a cryo-trap.

But I would think that a liquified gas would be the epitome of self-pressurizing. Give or take heat transfer. And a small system would have a lot of surface area compared to volume.

I think the issue is actually how much pressurization happens. It may self pressurize but perhaps not to a high enough level so that there is a robust difference between the tank and combustion chamber pressures. I think most amateur LOX motors use helium to pressurize the oxidizer tank. Pro's use pumps.

I could see that it self-pressurizes -so- high that it's not containable. So it's kept in self-refrigeration mode - boil off matching heat flow in. I imagined that a small system would be hard to make that good a thermos - but I could be imagining wrong.

N2O must be more like CO2 or LPG in behavior.

Back