What type of sanding sealer to use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CF1

Reaction score
What type/brand of Sanding Sealer do you recommend for balsa fins on low and mid power rockets?

Thanks,
Charlie

Originally I used rust-oleum flat grey filler primer. Lots of coats to fill in the balsa and many hours of tedious sanding.

Now I do what was mentioned above, Elmer's interior wood filler (orange lid) which I add a little water to till it's like icing. Just get an old credit card style card and glob it on the fin or body tube and lightly scrape it into the grooves. It sands smooth shortly after and feels nice under the fingertips. It's hard to see much of a difference in the following image, but these are plywood fins so it'll be more dramatic for balsa.

I recommend trying the Elmer's wood filler!

image.jpg

Last edited:
I recommend trying the Elmer's wood filler!

I used to be a Minwax user for decades and it works OK I guess, but never got what I really wanted in a sealer. Always had to clean my brush with solvents and that kinda sucked too. I started using the Deft water base sealer and it's a +10 in comparison. Dries pretty quickly and makes the balsa stiffer. Down side is having to keep it stirred....uh....hmmmm....BIG DEAL! I like it much better than the Minwax. After a good sanding, I'll follow up with the Elmer's wood putty thinned to about a mustard consistency, glop that on pretty liberally with my glopping brush and let that dry overnight. That's the best grain filler for the softer woods for sure.

I use DEFT. You can get it at Lowe's. Comes in a spray can and dries really quick.Since most of my builds have large fins/wings, it really speeds up the process. A couple of coats , lite sand and hit it with primer does the job.--100_2082.jpg

I use DEFT. You can get it at Lowe's. Comes in a spray can and dries really quick.Since most of my builds have large fins/wings, it really speeds up the process. A couple of coats , lite sand and hit it with primer does the job.--View attachment 283022

DEFT - Does that work best on balsa as well as lite ply etc.? I never used it and I can see your point and how it would speed things up.

I should try it sometime. Do you apply after you attach the fins or before? Does it matter if it gets on the rest of the rocket?

I use it on fins. I also use it on Blue Tube. Also works well on paper/cardboard couplers and such.

Back