Rocket Range Alerts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkdoubleu

Reaction score
I'll be going to my first range launch in March. What are some things that I can expect to hear get yelled out when something is a miss?

I.E. If someone yells, Heads Up!!! Or Look Out!!! Or Run!!!

Are there standard phrases used by experienced people that a newbie should be prepared to hear and respind to when it comes to that?

"Heads up" is obvious, "First flight" is a warning indicator, "Oddroc" is another warning indicator, any Staged composite motor flight. Our club is now using an air horn as ballistic or dangerous inbound warning. We also use the PA system to give verbal warnings. Listen for the LCO, our usual LCO and RSO can often be heard to state whether events have been seen, ie apogee separation, drogue deployment, main deploy, they will also express concern with some ot these statements. Always try and be aware anytime a MPR or HPR bird is in flight and track it visually if you can. LPR birds are usually easy to spot, but keep an eye on them too! Also watch out for first flights by Bomarcs, Jayhawks, and any other rocket that is known to have cruise missle tendencies (we have seen a few of these typically in winds over 10mph and or not enough nose weight).

Last edited:
Well, '' Heads Up!'' is probably one of the most common things you'll hear as far as concerning things go, generally announced right before a launch. It means the upcoming flight is risky or the rocket is untested, ''odd'', etc. If this is announced, GET OUT FROM WHEREVER YOU ARE AND WATCH THE FLIGHT TO COMPLETION. This is one of the most concerning things I see at launches, when people ignore warnings. At our launches we have an airhorn that is sounded if a flight is going poorly Again, this means look for the rocket and get away from it if necessary. Those are two of the more common and important things you'll hear.

Nate

"Oh crap".

"$10 M motor". Which is usually followed by destruction of a 500 dollar rocket.

I'll be going to my first range launch in March. What are some things that I can expect to hear get yelled out when something is a miss?

I.E. If someone yells, Heads Up!!! Or Look Out!!! Or Run!!!

Are there standard phrases used by experienced people that a newbie should be prepared to hear and respind to when it comes to that?

I think "heads up!" Is the most common, I think I've heard that yelled in at least 4 different states :)

My advice, and not because it's fun, but for YOUR OWN SAFETY....

WATCH EVERY ROCKET LAUNCHED, and keep an eye on it, even on decent...

Be safe, and have fun! Of my experiences, rocketeers are some of the friendliest people I've ever met.

Don't be afraid or intimidated to ask them questions, they are most likely happy to answer them, but...

If it appears they are 'prepping for a launch', maybe wait until they're done. There can be a lot of different steps involved in getting an HPR ready to go.

Last edited:
"Heads up" is obvious, "First flight" is a warning indicator, "Oddroc" is another warning indicator, any Staged composite motor flight. Our club is now using an air horn as ballistic or dangerous inbound warning. We also use the PA system to give verbal warnings. Listen for the LCO, our usual LCO and RSO can often be heard to state whether events have been seen, ie apogee separation, drogue deployment, main deploy, they will also express concern with some ot these statements. Always try and be aware anytime a MPR or HPR bird is in flight and track it visually if you can. LPR birds are usually easy to spot, but keep an eye on them too! Also watch out for first flights by Bomarcs, Jayhawks, and any other rocket that is known to have cruise missle tendencies (we have seen a few of these typically in winds over 10mph and or not enough nose weight).

First Flight? Let me expand on my question, when my rocket is on the pad for my L1 certification will it attract extra attention? Makes me a little nervous thinking people will gather to see what happens.

First Flight? Let me expand on my question, when my rocket is on the pad for my L1 certification will it attract extra attention? Makes me a little nervous thinking people will gather to see what happens.

Our club always announces Cert flights, so everyone is usually watching, don't worry about it, just do the routine you have for prepping the rocket and unless you have some bad luck it should go just fine.

first flight usually means spread out, give yourself(and others) room to duck. along those lines is 'cert flight'(also, if you hear cert flight in conjunction with university...to be fair they usually get the up part right). 'heads up' usually has people pointing in the direction of the wayward rocket. one word that should only be used in the event of a fire is FIRE(folks don't like grabbing fire gear w/o reason).
Rex

first flight usually means spread out, give yourself(and others) room to duck. along those lines is 'cert flight'(also, if you hear cert flight in conjunction with university...to be fair they usually get the up part right). 'heads up' usually has people pointing in the direction of the wayward rocket. one word that should only be used in the event of a fire is FIRE(folks don't like grabbing fire gear w/o reason).
Rex

That "if you hear cert flight in conjunction with university...", now that's funny...but true...:surprised:

Our club always announces Cert flights, so everyone is usually watching, don't worry about it, just do the routine you have for prepping the rocket and unless you have some bad luck it should go just fine.

Pretty much like vultures We watch carefully to see if it's really dead :>
Actually, you will proably have people wishing you luck! Just remember it's just another flight, do what you normally do and it will be fine.

What club are you flying with ? Maybe some members are on here.

K.L.O.U.D.Busters Wichita Ks. Home of the famous Rocket Pasture Argonia, Kansas. I am super stoked. They had a fun fly last week, but I couldn't make it. I met the treasurer of the club this week in Wichita. If most are as helpful and excited as he was about a newbie I am going to be in very good hands.

K.L.O.U.D.Busters Wichita Ks. Home of the famous Rocket Pasture Argonia, Kansas. I am super stoked. They had a fun fly last week, but I couldn't make it. I met the treasurer of the club this week in Wichita. If most are as helpful and excited as he was about a newbie I am going to be in very good hands.

Ha! Ok, I think every TRFer has heard of them. :) So you've probably seen their web site but I'll add the schedule and launch rules page anyway: https://www.kloudbusters.org/launch.cfm

I haven't been to Argonia yet but I'll venture a guess "HEADS UP" is used by most every LCO. You might hear the announcement of a "Heads Up" flight before the button is pushed. And yes, certification flights are traditionally given the pomp and circumstance they deserve by the range crew. :wink: No worries, it's your first of many successful high-power flights. ENJOY !

Last edited:

We welcome new members! When you make it down to the Rocket Pasture find me, I'd be happy to explain our procedures and safety protocols to you as well as help you through the certification process. It's a great hobby shared with a great group of flyers at a great launch site. What's not to like!

Bob Brown
Prefect, Kloudbusters Inc.

In all actuality, from my experience, the more eyes the better.
When all goes well, all the more praise for a job well done. And the more people interested in your bird, and it's flight and recovery characteristics.
When things go awry, you get a better balance of opinion as to what most likely caused the mishap; so as to be able to overcome it in the future.

Launch enough times, and you will have failures. As long as you have put in the proper time and effort to research and develop that which you intend to safely fly, people usually don't hold the little hiccups against you. And are more that happy to help fill in the gaps in your knowledge. At least that's been the case with those with whom I've flown.

So there really isn't any reason to fret too much about it. "I need to remind myself of that on nights before a launch. Maybe I'd be able to get in a couple hours of sleep." :wink:

As to your original post: I'm in agreement with McKailas Dad. If you know a flight is going up, take the time to watch it. The better part of the fun I have at launches is watching what others have concocted. Also, God forbid you do hear "Heads Up", you'll already be ahead of the curve.

You should also listen for the "Range is Safe/Pads are Safe" command. When you bring your bird up to the flight line, it never hurts to ask the LCO for permission to approach the pad. But if you've already cleared your flight with the RSO and LCO has just called "Range is Safe" or "Pads are Safe" make your presence known, get the go ahead, and head to your pad. The sooner you start setting up, the less rushed you'll feel as others set up around you.
And on that note. Don't get into a rush. Most likely when the people around you finish up, they'll hang around at the pad. This may be a good time to get input from those around that are already set for launch. Besides, most of the best small talk can be had at the pads.

Best wishes toward a successful launch and recovery. And most of all. Enjoy, what ever may come of it.

Since you are required to recover your rocket to get your cert, you want as many eyes on it as possible. If you lose track of it, someone else will see it.

We welcome new members! When you make it down to the Rocket Pasture find me, I'd be happy to explain our procedures and safety protocols to you as well as help you through the certification process. It's a great hobby shared with a great group of flyers at a great launch site. What's not to like!

Bob Brown
Prefect, Kloudbusters Inc.

Wow, Thanks Bob. I will certainly track you down. I have a million questions. And I want to make sure I follow the proper SOP. I have my membership card and my motor and I am ready to Certify on L1! One quick question I forgot to ask Mark when I saw him and got my credentials and motor. Will he or other vendors be there on site to purchase additional motors? If I pass I would like to get another motor and go again. and again. and maybe again. lol

Ha! Ok, I think every TRFer has heard of them. :) So you've probably seen their web site but I'll add the schedule and launch rules page anyway: https://www.kloudbusters.org/launch.cfm

I haven't been to Argonia yet but I'll venture a guess "HEAD'S UP" is used by most every LCO. You might hear the announcement of a "Head's Up" flight before the button is pushed. And yes, certification flights are traditionally given the pomp and circumstance they deserve by the range crew. :wink: No worries, it's your first of many successful high-power flights. ENJOY !

Thanks for the link!!

"No joy."
"No continuity." [same thing as above]

Igniter burned with out lighting motor or bad hook up with clips to igniter.

Carry a spare on you to save a long trip back to your table.

BTW, and this is a BIGGIE: listen to the LCO! So many times I hear the LCO say that the next flight is a heads-up flight, and they want everyone to stand up and pay attention. And then about three people stand up, and I have to walk down the flight line, yelling "Stand up! Stand up!" And people look at me like I'm an idiot.

(Whether or not I actually am an idiot is not the point here. :cyclops: )

I like the air horn idea... it gets people's attention. Sometime the LCO's microphone is so much noise that it doesn't really register when they say something urgent.

On any heads up flight, it's nice to point at the rocket until the chute is out and it's clear of the crowd. It's a lot easier to find them if you lose them and/or help others find them in the air if you point. Same on a cert flight if you're near the person certifying, except I'd point to it all the way down unless it's obvious where it's headed. Everyone wants to get their cert flight back. If there are a few 10-12 year olds in the area that look trustworthy, you might see if they'll help you track your cert flight in the air. Young eyes always help!

For rockets coming in hot/ballistic, I've typically seen about 2-3 seconds between the warning and impact. If you aren't tracking the flight, you won't have time to move if you're in the way. Still, listen for the heads up, first flight, and ballistic impact notices. If you can, be there for the flier's meeting at the beginning of the day. One last one to listen for: "This'll be cool!" I've never had that one be wrong. :)

Wow, Thanks Bob. I will certainly track you down. I have a million questions. And I want to make sure I follow the proper SOP. I have my membership card and my motor and I am ready to Certify on L1! One quick question I forgot to ask Mark when I saw him and got my credentials and motor. Will he or other vendors be there on site to purchase additional motors? If I pass I would like to get another motor and go again. and again. and maybe again. lol
So. . . . Did you have a good time?

Back