Top 5 Scale Models

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbfrazier

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

If this post is on the wrong category, my apologies.

I know that the people who visits the scale tread have their own favorite scale model, but I'm wanting to know what would be the top on everyone's list.

Let's say I made a limited release, around 10-20 kits, of a scale model. What would be on your top five wish list?

I'll keep the models to the Low to Mid Power range around a 3ft tall to allow for the most detail.

Will I become rich? Not likely, but I do love to design & machine (20 years now). Luckily, I have access to several HAAS CNC 5 axis mills, Laser cutters, two high-end 3D Printers, and a Plastic Injection Mold Machine.

I don't think I'll make any V-2s or Saturn V's / 1B. What about a cold war US ARMY Seargant or Soviet Missiles or Peter Always (14 Cold War Missiles)? Think back and ask your self if you could build your favorite scale model, what would it be.

Even if I don't get to make everyone's list, at least the rocket community will know.

Thanks,

Keith Frazier

Welcome to the forum Keith. I'll start the ball rolling with this:

gemini titan.jpg

2 motor cluster, of course ! :)

Are you a professional model builder ? Born again rocketeer ? Both ?

Keeping your criteria in mind, and about a three foot height, I'd be interested in a Bull Pup 12D, Phoenix missile, Titan missile, Jupiter-C, and Delta II launch vehicle.

I'd love to see a nicely detailed Pershing II in that size range. Cool rocket, and you can actually make it stable without going way off scale or adding clear fins.

The Nike Zeus or Spartan ABMs would also be amazing.

Last edited:
I would really like to see more sounding rockets in the market...particularly the current NASA fleet. Orion, Oriole, Malmute, and Lynx would all make great subject matter. Throw in a Black Brant V (a, b, or c) and you have a nearly a full set of sustainers. Add the Terrier and Talos boosters (the BBv is both a sustainer and booster) and you would really have a complete fleet!

Cheers,
Michael

always loved the old Estes Nike Ajax...Nike Hercules a cool looking rocket as well. Mercury Redstone Atlas and Gemini Titan cool looking as well.

In the historically significant department, it would be cool to feature a line of the rockets from the history of unmanned space exploration, the rockets that launched all of the Mars lander missions, from Viking to Curiosity, and the Deep Space probes from Voyager to Cassini, etc... some cool Titans, Atlas, and Delta variations over the years. Granted, those rockets are not as famous as their payloads and missions. Hard to pick a top 5, but the Titan IIIE that launched V-GER, I mean Voyager, would be pretty cool.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_IIIE

Call me 'simple', but I've always liked the Patriot as well.

That little cutie in my avatar may have something to do with that :)

Following in close to 1/70th scale:
Falcon 9
Falcon Heavy
N1
Vostok/Soyuz
Long March

N1 would greatly exceed the 3'.

Ok, here are mine:

1. ARCAS, with a detailed fin can, including the bolts. I have seen somewhere, someone makes a 18MM fin can, but I
would love to see a 24MM or 29MM version with a detailed fin can.

2. Phoenix AIM-54, would love to see 3D printed fins for this Bird, with the beveling. Again
with 24MM or 29MM version.

3. Nike Hercules, 24MM or 29MM

4. Any Aerobee with detailed airfoiled fins and channels, 24MM or 29MM

5. Honest John in a 24MM or 29MM, with Boat Tail and detailed fins

I am old and became a BAR late in life. I take pride in my work, but I do not have the time to acquire the skills to pull off sanding/shaping fins and other detail parts like some of the "masters" that are in our hobby:facepalm:

Falcon 9! I've really been wanting a nice large scale model of this bird.

I would really like to see more sounding rockets in the market...particularly the current NASA fleet. Orion, Oriole, Malmute, and Lynx would all make great subject matter. Throw in a Black Brant V (a, b, or c) and you have a nearly a full set of sustainers. Add the Terrier and Talos boosters (the BBv is both a sustainer and booster) and you would really have a complete fleet!

Cheers,
Michael
I'll second the request for interesting sounding rockets, and especially the Orion (see my other post in this section ...)

Nooooo sounding rockets have been done to death and are mostly 4 FNCs. Give us something harder to scratch build.

I kniw I suggested a few, but an actual top 5:
1) Orbital Sciences Pegasus
2) Spartan / Nike Zeus
3) GQM-163A Coyote
4) SA-5 Gammon
5) Sea Dart

bonus - David's Sling, with the goofy asymmetric "Dolphin Nose"

Heck, I'll jump into the party! Favorite scale models to build?

Taimat missile

Pye Wacket missile

Go ahead, google them - I dare you! Then BUILD them!

A bit of history - the Tiamat was the first guided missile flown at Wallops. The Pye Wacket was an air-to-air missile for the B70. If you don't put the word "missile" in a google search, you get something entirely different.

Last edited:
Heck, I'll jump into the party! Favorite scale models to build?

Taimat missile

Pye Wacket missile

Go ahead, google them - I dare you! Then BUILD them!

A bit of history - the Tiamat was the first guided missile flown at Wallops. The Pye Wacket was an air-to-air missile for the B70. If you don't put the word "missile" in a google search, you get something entirely different.

I've seen some awesome stuff on those CD's you sent me, but many of them appear they would be -highly- unstable as a model rocket, even with 18lbs of nose weight lol

so they are not missiles in a conventional sense but, what about a 'tallboy' or a 'MOAB'?
Rex

I've seen some awesome stuff on those CD's you sent me, but many of them appear they would be -highly- unstable as a model rocket, even with 18lbs of nose weight lol

These actually flew. The Tiamat was the first rocket launched at Wallops (I think I've said that about a dozen times...). What's interesting about it's design (at least to me) is that they buried the rocket motor deep inside the body, with a long nozzle out the tail. The thinking behind this was to keep a constant CG as the propellant burned up.

On the other hand, there probably are some designs that are unstable on purpose. Unstable without active guidance, that is. By being unstable, or marginally stable, they are very agile, and can turn and maneuver very easily.

I designed/built a scale model of the Israeli Barak 1 SAM. It has large mid-body fins. It took a little over a half ounce of nose weight to be stable. In flight, it looked like it was actually "flying", not just on a ballistic trajectory.

Last edited:
I'd pay good money for a good black brant III, any sounder that saw time at Wallops honestly.
Of course, faithful scale replicas of military ordinance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Beech Aircraft, NAVY JAYHAWK AQM 37A is still my favorite. Now building my Fifth one for NARAM-58. Doug Frost, NAR #3446

Rheintochter II & PARCA are my all times favorites, you can get worse to scale build and fly...

32-F58-66-R2.jpg751EE158D81D40E1821EF8CAB7A71E58.jpg

eventually I would add my Kramer's X4 & X7 and the beautifull BOMARC indeed...

Back