Loc Esoteric & Top Gunn: Dinosaur builds!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking Awesome Eric! Can't wait to see them fly.

Thanks Nick!!!

Excellent!

Thanks Bob!!!

But seriously, congrats on the finished paint job - both look stunning.

Thanks Tim...you had me rethinking repainting for a while!:wink:

Very nice!

Thanks Nate! Hope to meet you at LDRS!

Lookin good Kid!

Thanks Dave!

Heck yeah!

Thanks Marcus...appreciate the comments!

Very nice, Eric! What motors are in their future?

Hi Derek! First flights planned for LDRS. Top Gun will be a single motor, but a pair of Top Guns...dad Tom's vs. mine on K550W's! Esoteric will be a fairly moderate first flight: CTI K1440 White Thunder airstarting 2 Loki I405's at 2.5s and 2 more I405's at 5.0s.

Eric

They both look outstanding! Look forward to seeing/meeting you at LDRS. Should be a good time.

Best

Bill D.

Thanks Bill! Absolutely; looking forward to my first MDRA visit! BTW... enjoyed the 3 certs in a day article in the HPR magazine...from a few years back!

-Eric-

Holy heck man, I forgot even writing that. It's been nearly 20 years believe it or not. Even worse is I just said that. Stopped with HPR a few years after that article once in college and just really picked up again this year.
My father kept his toe in the water for the last few decades, I just kept paying my dues to keep my certs.

Jumping in with both feet and have enjoyed all of the "new" technology. All of the new motors, filament wound components. It is a good time to be back in the hobby.

Also just started my Top Gun, painted the nose cone but using automotive wrap for the rest. I have gotten to lazy to fill spirals!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490145177.217647.jpg

Holy heck man, I forgot even writing that. It's been nearly 20 years believe it or not. Even worse is I just said that. Stopped with HPR a few years after that article once in college and just really picked up again this year.
My father kept his toe in the water for the last few decades, I just kept paying my dues to keep my certs.

Jumping in with both feet and have enjoyed all of the "new" technology. All of the new motors, filament wound components. It is a good time to be back in the hobby.

Also just started my Top Gun, painted the nose cone but using automotive wrap for the rest. I have gotten to lazy to fill spirals!

View attachment 315274

Awesome; yes, great time to be in the hobby! I see we share another common hobby too, r/c planes. I'm big into both rockets and planes...but really only have time for one at a time. So every few years the focus switches when I get burned out on one or the other. I never really leave or go away from either, but it keeps things fresh!

Had a chance to do a little finishing on the Top Gun. Old fashion Trim Monokote used on this one. Trim scheme planned in CAD, printed, cut out, applied to airframe.

After the stickers are cut from Trim Monokote stock, a full size printout is positioned on the airframe. Part of the template where each individual sticker is placed is folded or trimmed out of the way. Part of the Monokote backing is removed, the sticker positioned over the template, and the part of the sticker with the backing removed is placed on the airframe.

Blue in progress:

20170322_173305_zpsxilbomsk.jpg

Same deal, now with red:

20170322_190727_zps202qeaop.jpg

And all together now.

20170322_191346_zpsmu0iihga.jpg

Trim scheme complete. It was late and dark outside, so a quick shot in the rocket room will have to suffice for now.

20170322_191649%202_zps4vlz3ynk.jpg

I'll bring it outside for a better finished shot as time permits. Now to start prepping for LDRS!!!

You can't have one without the...other! With Top Gun stickers on, let's keep the party going and stick some stuff onto the Esoteric! The 5.54" upper stuff was previously completed, so the progress was all on the 7.67" sections.

First off, the inspiration for the trim scheme was from one of, if not the original Esoteric. It's not an exact recreation, nor is it intended to be. Here's the inspiration...Note: not my photo, found on the web!

Esoteric_zps6udcm0np.jpg

With the payload stickers previously complete, the red/black roll pattern was up first. The areas included were painted Rusto 2X Apple Red; the black are 3.0625" x ~12" slabs of black Trim Monokote. Nothing too exciting here, just keep them parallel with the length of the airframe and make sure the edges match up. No photos of the process, but after the fact....all put together this monster runs nearly the length of the basement rocket room!

20170322_222731%202_zpsqeezemyh.jpg

Then for some letters. I like Arial Bold Italic block letters on rockets; by default if I'm making the stickers, that's what you'll see on the side of my rockets. The Esoteric is no exception. 3.25" height letters fit the available space well, the WTP reflective silver decal material makes a nice contrast on a black background. Much like the Top Gun, full size patterns printed out, letters cut from the sticker stock, and we're ready for application.

First up, trim the edges of the letters to find true centers. Mark centerlines. Because of the length of "ESOTERIC" on 11x17 paper, ESOT and ERIC had to be spliced together after careful alignment.

20170322_223017_zpshn0kkjsj.jpg

Tape ESOT and ERIC together, trim it in half, mark the halfway point between fins (word centerline), and center ESOTERIC pattern between chromy bands. Tape in place.

20170322_223854_zpsmsymzfgk.jpg

Remove top part of backing and align with printed pattern.

20170322_224312_zpso9l20rpb.jpg

All decals partly stuck in place. Remove the pattern, sticker backing, and fully seat the stickers.

20170322_224754_zps5aqjv7de.jpg

Can't stand this monster up in the shop. Too late and dark outside; not much of a glamour shot, but the best I can do for now. All decals in place (except for one applied after photo)!

20170322_224809_zps4vkueyde.jpg

I'll pull this one outside for a better shot asap as well. Time for some internal work on this beast.....

Last edited:
Very nice indeed - can't go wrong with a red 'n' black roll pattern, and the stretch chequered effect looks particularly lean and mean, methinks.

Had a chance to do a little finishing on the Top Gun. Old fashion Trim Monokote used on this one. Trim scheme planned in CAD, printed, cut out, applied to airframe.

After the stickers are cut from Trim Monokote stock, a full size printout is positioned on the airframe. Part of the template where each individual sticker is placed is folded or trimmed out of the way. Part of the Monokote backing is removed, the sticker positioned over the template, and the part of the sticker with the backing removed is placed on the airframe.

Blue in progress:

20170322_173305_zpsxilbomsk.jpg

Same deal, now with red:

20170322_190727_zps202qeaop.jpg

And all together now.

20170322_191346_zpsmu0iihga.jpg

Trim scheme complete. It was late and dark outside, so a quick shot in the rocket room will have to suffice for now.

20170322_191649%202_zps4vlz3ynk.jpg

I'll bring it outside for a better finished shot as time permits. Now to start prepping for LDRS!!!

Dang that is a nice finish. Excellent job. I'll definitely be stopping by at LDRS to see this beauty in person.

I definitely want to check these out at LDRS. Very cool! Seen a lot of Ron's collection up close and personal, but not the big boys. Some of the early Bruiser and Warlock prototypes are the biggest I remember in his basement collection along with the rockets used in the first color catalog.

Super nice work Eric. I'm totally jealous!

Thanks Bob! No need to be jealous...start saving a few bucks for summer!:wink:

Looks great!

Thanks! See you on the range!

Very nice indeed - can't go wrong with a red 'n' black roll pattern, and the stretch chequered effect looks particularly lean and mean, methinks.

Thanks Tim! Yeah, definitely liked the red/black roll pattern on the original...certainly that was a trait worth recreating!

Dude, they both look killer! :cheers:

Thanks Justin!:D:D:D

WOW just WOW ����! Nice job Eric.

Thanks Dennis! I hope to see a transition rocket in your stable in the future!!!;)

Dang that is a nice finish. Excellent job. I'll definitely be stopping by at LDRS to see this beauty in person.

Hi Nate! Please do! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Eric,

Both airframes look outstanding!!!!

Thanks Bill! Much appreciated coming from you!

I definitely want to check these out at LDRS. Very cool! Seen a lot of Ron's collection up close and personal, but not the big boys. Some of the early Bruiser and Warlock prototypes are the biggest I remember in his basement collection along with the rockets used in the first color catalog.

Hi Kevin. Absolutely! Super jealous that you were witness to Ron's original collection! I saw that Ron stopped by the Rocketry Forum not too long ago...wonder if he'll show up at a launch again sometime in the future?

Awesome just Awesome!!:cheers:

Thanks Gary!!! Can't wait to see your Top Gun; I KNOW it's be fantastic!!!

Thanks all! I have to get prepping these things now!

-Eric-

These look amazing Eric! Hopefully I'll get to see one (or both) in the not too distant future. Can't wait to see photos from LDRS. Have fun!

Thanks Bob! No need to be jealous...start saving a few bucks for summer!:wink:

Thanks! See you on the range!

Thanks Tim! Yeah, definitely liked the red/black roll pattern on the original...certainly that was a trait worth recreating!

Thanks Justin!:D:D:D

Thanks Dennis! I hope to see a transition rocket in your stable in the future!!!;)

Hi Nate! Please do! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Thanks Bill! Much appreciated coming from you!

Hi Kevin. Absolutely! Super jealous that you were witness to Ron's original collection! I saw that Ron stopped by the Rocketry Forum not too long ago...wonder if he'll show up at a launch again sometime in the future?

Thanks Gary!!! Can't wait to see your Top Gun; I KNOW it's be fantastic!!!

Thanks all! I have to get prepping these things now!

-Eric-

Thanks Eric,

Have an Esoteric I picked being repainted as we speakImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490634692.009238.jpg

Have Mark Hayes creating an esoteric decal for me. Should look nice when it is done. He always does a great Job.

Picked this guy up from Ken Allen. Was in one of his storage buildings for some time. Unfortunately I am not sure whom
Was the original owner

Dude.......DUUUUDE!!!!!!!

Quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've seen.

Good luck at LDRS brother!!! That double airstart will be wicked!!!

Thanks Marcus! Hope to get some photo and video, my friend! Looking forward to it!!!! Now for some outside photos.....

Top Gun is mostly ready for flight while the Esoteric is being prepped. Both get loaded for LDRS on Sunday...ready or not!

Top Gun: First time out in the sunlight since the major overhaul.

DSC_0003_zpsda3a3x7p.jpg

And the Esoteric fully stacked vertical for the first time since being stickered.

DSC_0018_zpsf5kzqn4v.jpg

Not exactly what I'd consider a little rocket....she dwarfs the kiddo!

DSC_0014_zpszvkgxwgb.jpg

Back to prepping....:)

I like the old LOC precision prism sticker on it. I still have a decent number of them.

Help the rest of us out and post dimensions for the Esoteric! Would be nice to have both in this thread.

Eric,

When I sold LOC to Barry, I gave him all the dimensions of all the LOC Custom Kits. Contact me if you want more information on original dimensions. Now, referring to your TOP GUN build, were you going for nostalgia or just a complete replica? P.S. Great article!!! aeg.

Back