Pablo conversion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAZ

Reaction score
paper rocket Pablo pic.jpgI found this rocket on Ton Noteboon's website a while ago. He named it Pablo for a young modeler who asked him to make a model that would be easier for a beginner to build. I have seen many great cardstock models I want to convert to flying models. Pablo seemed like a good model for me to start with, to figure out how to do a conversion. When I searched TRF, I couldn't find any other posts about this rocket, so I decided to attempt a build thread.
Today I tried to find Ton Noteboon's website, so I could post a link to it. I could not access the website. Can I post the PDFs on TRF? Should I ask permission from Ton Noteboon before doing this? I'm not sure what is OK for me to do about posting the files. If someone knows, please let me know.

Pablo parts.jpgThere are 2 versions, with different colors. I chose the black and white parts.

Pablo CR2.jpgPablo CR.jpg A BT-55 was the biggest tube that would fit through the capsule, so I am using that through the whole center. For the centering rings on the ends, I cut most of the BT-55 sized hole through the cardstock, then centered the parts over that hole. when the glue dried, I cut around the outside, and finished the cut on the inside. The order of these two pictures got switched. the first picture should be the second.

Pablo CR3.jpgThe centering rings trimmed, and a shoulder for the nose, made from a piece of BT-55 cut to fit inside another BT-55.

Pablo fins.jpgThe original fins looked too small to make the rocket stable. I kept the shape the same, but doubled the perimeter measurements. The new fins were cut from balsa, then papered to look similar to the original fins. I papered them the same way it was done in a Quest X-30 kit I have been building recently. The edges are square, so it is not very aerodynamic, but I'm not concerned about that.
In the picture, the original fin is on the right, and the papered balsa is on the left. I printed a block of black on cardstock, then held it against a window on a sunny day to mark where I wanted the fin. Then I used a glue stick to glue the balsa to the blank side of the paper.

Pablo corrugations.jpgBecause I changed the fins, the original lower corrugated wrap would not look right. It has blue areas that would have been covered by the fin tabs, but I am not using fin tabs. I also wanted something taller, to match the height of the enlarged fins. I don't know my way around graphics programs, but I made a taller corrugated wrap in Microsoft paint. I made it using the line drawing feature, then cut it down to the size I wanted.

Pablo IT.jpgThe inside tube is 273 mm long. An 18 mm engine mount extends a few mm further, and the engine will be a few mm below the 4 exhaust cones.

Pablovft.jpg3 5 2016 006.jpgPablo3fv.jpgAlmost ready to fly. I still want to put a few light coats of clear on it when it is warm enough outside.

3 12 2016 002.jpgI added a little over 1/4 ounce of clay to the nose. With a C6-3 the center of gravity was then at the middle of the black band.

3 12 2016 003.jpg3 12 2016 004.jpgMy camera doesn't zoom any closer than this. With a C6-3 it had a nice flight, slow and straight. It came down really slow on an 18" parachute, and had no damage. :)

Man was that a detailed build,,
you sure put a lot of work into that and it shows...
Super meticulous work man...

Teddy

Back