Airfest XXII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a little confused on the rule about filiment wound nosecones with aluminum tips can somebody explain it

My understanding, certainly could be off, but farming equipment+aluminum parts = upset farmer . They are allowed but not "naked". A sharpie and 5 mins gets the job done, and the same time with Acetone undoes it just as well.

Definitely there with the wife, pup, and RV for the duration of the Fest. Started the hialt paperwork yesterday for a Loki L1482 to Loki J1000 for "Full Lto20K" with the RW Double Shot kit.
Looking forward to seeing both the familiar and new, but especially the heads up.

Uhh... Kansas is hard on your fleet? Sorta seems like maybe the operator, eh?

I will be there! I am so looking forward to more carnage! Kansas is hard on my rocket fleet!

JunkShotDig.png

IMG_7346.jpg

9F252715-CFAE-4A0A-BCD3-2E0E31511F2F.jpg

AirFestCarnage.jpg

My understanding, certainly could be off, but farming equipment+aluminum parts = upset farmer . They are allowed but not "naked". A sharpie and 5 mins gets the job done, and the same time with Acetone undoes it just as well.

Definitely there with the wife, pup, and RV for the duration of the Fest. Started the hialt paperwork yesterday for a Loki L1482 to Loki J1000 for "Full Lto20K" with the RW Double Shot kit.
Looking forward to seeing both the familiar and new, but especially the heads up.

Thanks guess it's time to sharpie some of my rockets.

How about a little nostalgia .
Who remembers the Tiny T Drag race at Airfest I believe 2002 or 2003 ?
Well I do and want to do it again.

Join us at AirFest 2016 for the Tiny Pterodactyl Drag Race, sponsored by Wildman Hobbies and Public Missiles.

Your entry fee gets you a Tiny Pterodactyl kit with a payload section added. Contest rules are
•You must fly as part of the event at AirFest on the designated race day
•You must use the original body tube, nose cone and fins (not as nose weight or fillets - Crazy Jim, this means you)
•You may use the additional 6" of airframe and a PML coupler with end caps for an altimeter bay
•Use (or not) of the supplied, or other, motor mount is at your discretion
•The rocket must be returned to the Race RSO at least 1 hour before the close of the range on the day of the race
•The winner is the flier with the highest reported altitude as determined by the Race RSO
•Per host club request, no thermite may be used as part of this race

The winner will receive either a 4" or 7.5" PML Pterodactyl kit, depending on the number of entries.

The cost is only $64.95 + shipping

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ProductDetail.aspx?product=7170

Just registered and booked hotel. Looking forward to all four days of my first Airfest. Is it September yet? How about now?

heres a picture from i believe back in 2001. my brother conveniently:)wink:) set his wedding day for that friday in emporia, so there was no way i could drive all that way and NOT drive a couple more miles!
along with an awesome 2 days of flying-not me so much. i just flew my thoy nighthawk with 3-g125's a d 4-g25's(maiden cluster flight for both me and the rocket) with some great assistance with ignitors and how to hook them all up from one of the vendors- i came back with a lil different perspective of living in michigan- i said i would NEVER, and still havent, complain about the heat in michigan!! saturday morning, 7 am the thermometer at one of the banks in emporia said 88 degrees and it got up to 109.
but it was well worth it!! this drag race was awesome! as were every other flight!
a return is on my bucket list.

20160731_163646_zpsuag1j8nk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looking for a kind soul that has an Aerotech 98/5120 case and hardware that I could use for a flight at AIRFest this year.

Chris

Just registered for 4 days and I can't wait. Gonna miss your Schwarze Herren Schokolade this year Wayne.:(

Looking for a kind soul that has an Aerotech 98/5120 case and hardware that I could use for a flight at AIRFest this year.

Chris

If I can get my hardware back from Ohio State in time you can borrow mine. No promises.....

How is tent camping at Airfest? I'm planning on coming for all 4 days (already have the okay from my wife), but need to keep expenses down as much as possible. Well, non-motor expenses.

If 4 days of tenting it on the rocket pasture isn't practical, I'll have to shorten my trip and spring for a hotel. Since it's just me, and my requirements are minimal, I think it's doable.

How is tent camping at Airfest? I'm planning on coming for all 4 days (already have the okay from my wife), but need to keep expenses down as much as possible. Well, non-motor expenses.

If 4 days of tenting it on the rocket pasture isn't practical, I'll have to shorten my trip and spring for a hotel. Since it's just me, and my requirements are minimal, I think it's doable.
A lot of people camp out at the Rocket Pasture during AIRFest. To me (and many others), that is at least half the fun.

There no improvements. We bring in portable toilets and that's pretty much it. It would be considered primitive by any standard. There is a campground up the road and some of us go up there and shower and put a few bucks in the slot. We have also been known to head into Anthony and borrow a shower from someone who has a room there. There is a well on-site with nice cold water you can use to take a spit bath. The well has never been tested, so it must be considered non-potable.

The food vendor will be there with biscuits and gravy, coffee, breakfast burritos, etc. each morning. Of course he has lunch, and pulls up stakes around 6 each day. His prices are reasonable, the food is good and he is a great guy. We have ice on-site at a comparable price vs. the convenience stores. We have the burger blast on Saturday night. There are a couple restaurants in Anthony and many in Wellington. If you want to cook yourself, a gas stove or grill is the best option. Getting together with a group to head to town for mexican food or a steak makes for a fun evening.

Depending upon your tolerance for primitive camping, you can decide what you want to do. There are usually 50ish people who stay all night, probably about 3/4 of those are in RVs. If I were tent camping, I might get a room for Friday or Saturday night to freshen up. If it is really hot during the day, that would feel especially refreshing.

The good part: the ground is flat and there are no rocks. ;)

HTH, --Lance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Primitive is fine. What you've described is far better than most camping I've done. Up until a couple of years ago, I wouldn't use much more than a tent and sleeping bag or a couple of sheets depending on the season. Rocks and roots just added some spice to life.

Pondman,
I have located a case and hardware.
Thanks for considering it!

Chris

Back