Airfest XXII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at last year's AF and loved it and I would really like to be there again this year, but it's not going to happen. I own a home built in the early 1980's and the money pit's tummy is rumbling. I believe it's going to demand a new roof and HVAC system this year so fundage for long rocket trips is a no-go.

Being a responsible adult sucks sometimes. :(

Yes,,
But the "suck" is very short lived Glenn...
You'll reap the benefits of being responsible for years...

Teddy

OK, Made my reservations, so I'll be flying in from the Pacific Northwest to partake in Airfest for the 11th time in the past 12 years (missed 2013--Airfest 19).

OK, Made my reservations, so I'll be flying in from the Pacific Northwest to partake in Airfest for the 11th time in the past 12 years (missed 2013--Airfest 19).
Wow,, that's some record....
I bet you had some smokin fun times to make a record like that...

Teddy

I am seriously thinking about this...again. This time I may actually make it so I am posting in this thread to automatically subscribe to it :) . Haven't been there since LDRS 30 and I miss it dearly.

Will there be a ban on sparkies or is that dependent on the weather between now and then?

Last edited:
[Will there be a ban on sparkies or is that dependent on the weather between now and then?[/QUOTE]

Dave,
Normally, the fields out to the east of the rocket pasture where we place the away pads are plowed allowing us to fly sparkie motors. Those fields are planted in wheat again this year so I expect them to be plowed this coming September as well which would allow sparkie motor flights. Regardless of impulse, all sparkie flights will occur at the away pads located in the plowed, dirt field. I can't remember an Airfest where we had to ban sparkie motors but obviously we reserve the right if the conditions do not allow us to fly them safely. We look forward to your return to Argonia!
Bob

Last edited:
Bob, Lance, and everyone else in KloudBusters put on a launch that was unbelievable...
Talk about hospitality.....
I just can't wait...

Teddy

Hey teddy are you camping onsite this year ��
We will need to save you a spot on the back line

110%... HECK YEAH...
I am so excited I feel like a little kid...
What a fun launch / weekend this is...
I just can't wait...

Teddy

Starting to sound like we may have a small contingent from Michiana Rocketry there with an RV. Say, another question, what is the policy on ATV's and the like? One of our members has a golf cart on steroids (lifted with off road tires - no joke) and he was thinking of bringing it. Looking through the web site I didn't find anything - and I apologize if there is something in there...

Starting to sound like we may have a small contingent from Michiana Rocketry there with an RV. Say, another question, what is the policy on ATV's and the like? One of our members has a golf cart on steroids (lifted with off road tires - no joke) and he was thinking of bringing it. Looking through the web site I didn't find anything - and I apologize if there is something in there...

Dave,
Our policy for Airfest (and any of our launches) is that you are more than welcome to bring your ATV and use it in the rocket pasture and any of the surrounding dirt roads but there are a few of the landowners who don't want them driven in their fields so we ask that you walk into any field to recover the rocket and then motor back to the launch site. Remember, every square inch we fly and recover from is private land and we are there because the farmers allow us to be. We appreciate them allowing us access to their land and strictly abide by their wishes. If you need further details, find myself or Lance and we would be happy to share with you the do's and don'ts.
Bob

Last edited:
Dave,
Our policy for Airfest (and any of our launches) is that you are more than welcome to bring your ATV and use it in the rocket pasture and any of the surrounding dirt roads but there are a few of the landowners don't want them driven in their fields so we ask that you walk into any field to recover the rocket and then motor back to the launch site. Remember, every square inch we fly and recover from is private land and we are there because the farmers allow us to be. We appreciate them allowing us access to their land and strictly abide by their wishes. If you need further details, find myself or Lance and we would be happy to share with you the do's and don'ts.
Bob

Nope...I think that's a good enough answer for now. I believe my buddy from Michiana was just trying to evaluate whether or not it's worth bringing the cart. Thanks Bob!

From last year's trip, I seem to remember a launch tower being available at the far pads. I am not sure if it was brought by a flyer or of it is Kloudbuster's property. Anyway, I am contemplating a 3 inch minimum diameter project and I would like to know if there will be a tower available on site.

It would have 4 fins, BTW.

Thanks in advance :)

From last year's trip, I seem to remember a launch tower being available at the far pads. I am not sure if it was brought by a flyer or of it is Kloudbuster's property. Anyway, I am contemplating a 3 inch minimum diameter project and I would like to know if there will be a tower available on site.

It would have 4 fins, BTW.

Thanks in advance :)
There is a tower with four adjustable rods that should work well for your project. It will be available on a first come first served basis. When you get ready to fly, check in with the away RSO's to be put in queue.
Bob

There is a tower with four adjustable rods that should work well for your project. It will be available on a first come first served basis. When you get ready to fly, check in with the away RSO's to be put in queue.
Bob

Will there also be a tower that can accommodate 3 fin designs available? Also, can we bring our own tower, and what would be the best time to set it up, before the range opens for the day?

Last edited:
Will there also be a tower that can accommodate 3 fin designs available? Also, can we bring our own tower, and what would be the best time to set it up, before the range opens for the day?
Rethinking about our tower, it might indeed be three rods designed for 3 finned rockets but I know one of our members flew a 4 finned rocket out of it last Airfest.

I see on last year's website that there is a "Kloudbusters Rate" at some of the hotels. Is that active for this year's event also? I'm trying to finalize the trip planning.

Some of us from Tulsa stay at the Cobblestone Inn in Anthony. Nice clean rooms and complimentary breakfast. Cold AC too! I believe they have a Airfest rate. We split a two double bed room between 4 so it's cheeeeep.

I see on last year's website that there is a "Kloudbusters Rate" at some of the hotels. Is that active for this year's event also? I'm trying to finalize the trip planning.
I was told when we set this up that the KloudBusters rate applies to all launches. I'll verify they still feel that way. I can virtually guarantee a significant discount from their normal rack rate. I'll post here on that.

--Lance.

To add to Bob's info ...

As Bob says, we do have a 3 fin tower. If you want to bring/use your own special launch tower, that's generally fine. Between Bob, Coop, Jay coordination of set-up is generally not a problem. Location will be based upon the rocket/total impulse flying from it.

--Lance.

Last edited:
Some of us from Tulsa stay at the Cobblestone Inn in Anthony. Nice clean rooms and complimentary breakfast. Cold AC too! I believe they have a Airfest rate. We split a two double bed room between 4 so it's cheeeeep.

Thanks, always good to get the personal endorsement instead of trying to figure out a good spot from online reviews. Good to know the AC is up to it also.

I was told when we set this up that the KloudBusters rate applies to all launches. I'll verify they still feel that way. I can virtually guarantee a significant discount from their normal rack rate. I'll post here on that.

--Lance.

Thanks very much for the update on this, and the tower info.

I will be there! I am so looking forward to more carnage! Kansas is hard on my rocket fleet!

JunkShotDig.png

IMG_7346.jpg

9F252715-CFAE-4A0A-BCD3-2E0E31511F2F.jpg

AirFestCarnage.jpg

Back