Electric matchs-Are these good to use

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highflyer1968

Reaction score
Just wondering what everybody thinks of J-tek electric matches for my dual deploy rocket. I have been told that flash bulbs work better. What do you think?

Flash bulbs? Wow, can you even GET those anymore...?

J-Teks are fine, but they technically require a LEUP to purchase. The only unregulated options for electric matches are Quest Q2G2 starters (if you can find them), or the MJG Firewire ematches. I used to use only Q2G2s, but since they're so darned hard to find now I've been using the Firewires for awhile, they work fine.

1989 called. They want their forum post back.

LOL.

As a pyrotechnician by primary love / hobby, I assure you that JTek matches are plenty good, along with MJG.

Early on in the Firewire stuff, we came across several bad batches that would show continuity before use, then wouldn't ignite. After attempting to ignite--with no visible signs of ignition--the match would no longer show continuity. Any of you guys come across that?

Granted, we're talking orders of magnitude more use at a time... typical shows are several hundred ematches, with some going into several thousands. Seems like if you got a bad lot, though, quite a high percentage would fail, and there was no way to tell beforehand.

Just curious. Thanks!

I bought a big batch of Firewire Initiators when they first came out. Word got around that there was a problem as you describe, good test but no fire. I emailed MJG and they replaced them, no questions. Pretty good customer service I thought.

20160211_215256.jpg

Here they are!! Haven't used them yet but I think I will go with J-tek ematches.

Attachments

• 20160211_214714.jpg
    20160211_214714.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 83
I bought a big batch of Firewire Initiators when they first came out. Word got around that there was a problem as you describe, good test but no fire. I emailed MJG and they replaced them, no questions. Pretty good customer service I thought.

Yeah, that happened with a few consecutive batches to some of the pyro community. Find a bad batch, MJG would send out a new batch. Find out that batch was bad too, etc. MJG handled it though, and they seem to be ok for now. Wasn't a dig at their customer service; i was just curious if you guys ran across that.

Thanks!

I too am just starting into electronics and dual deployment. I just ordered and received (last week) a batch of the MJG Fireware initiators. Its nice that they are non-regulated, and seem to be available. Most of my reading says they work just fine, so this is my path forward. I'll put them through a good bit of ground testing once it warms up outside...

Back