How long do you let acrylic paint dry before you mask?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scode68

Reaction score
How long do you let acrylic paint dry before you mask and apply the next color? Not worried about bleed through as much the paint lifting up with the blue masking tape.

I've been playing with the Craft Smart paint (Michaels brand) through the old Badger airbrush and I'm kind of OK with it now. I put a little clear Windex in along with water to thin it. There is no consistency as each color has to be thinned a little differently until I'm happy with the way is lays down. Pretty much have to put down multiple light coats and if it really humid I will use a hair dryer help dry things.

I've used enamels my whole life and wanted to see what I could do with these 58 cent 2oz bottles.

...but when I have 24 hours with optimal humidity(>/=70%). I also got low tack masking tape to be on the safe side. That seemed to work out just fine. I never did thin it though. I used the Testor's (ghetto) aerosol can style airbrush. I figured not paying for a real one for an experiment.

My acrylic paint experience mostly is from painting my mohawk with it. It took about the same time to cure unless my hair was damp. I do know once it's cured it's quite resilient. And flexible.

You should be all right with everything but I'd suggest a clear coat. All my rockets acrylic paint jobs marred easily. It almost acts like latex base.

You should also check the archive.

the craft acrylics( and all ab acrylics in general) are too fragile to masked, it can be done under optimum conditions, I always use a light spray of "intercoat" clear when masking acrylics.
krylon clear has always worked fine for me.

clearcoating is a cruical component to acrylic paint jobs, as a final shell and for between colors masking.

I just wound up waiting 24 hrs and then masked with blue tape. There was a little paint on the tape when removed but it was only a trace and was not noticeable on the rocket. Next is multiple coats of Future. I might still ad a little yellow though befor the Future.

a 004.jpg

a 005.jpg

I think it was dark blue but then again it could have been bright and it was applied over a white base of the same brand paint. I'll check when I get home from work.

It is Dark Blue over a White base and the brand is Craft Smart which is the Michaels brand. Most of the time I can't get on any forums at work but for but the other day for some reason the gates were open.:D

The pictures look kind of dark as if the flash didn't go off. I'll have to see if I can take a better picture.

You don't have to go to that length. I just liked the color. I'll have to check out Micheal's and get a match in enamel.

Back