Thinking about moving to Texas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tronman

Dept of Redundancy Dept
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Born and raised in CT, lived here all my life. Moving across country at my age (68) is a big decision, so I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and if you've found it difficult to adjust to your new surroundings. Wife and I are looking at the Arlington area. She is only 51. She moved to this country 8.5 years ago, so it's probably easier for her adjust. Her daughter will be attending school in California, so we would be closer to her. That's one of the pluses.

I lived in Texas on three different occasions in my life. Not a big fan of Arlington/mid-cities area as we like to live farther out in rural surroundings, but, in general, like Texas--especially the winters.

I have moved cross-country as well as moved to a new country. In my experience, once you know where your local bank and grocery store is, it's pretty much the same. The only tough part is if you're used to open spaces and move to the city or vice-versa. After a few years you'll miss your home state regardless.

Actually, my wife and I have talked about moving to Texas as well. I supposedly have some relatives from Mesquite.

The only other potential problem I can think of is if a new environment would affect allergies, if you have them.

Karen and I are also considering TX. Personally I am noodling about Austin/San Antonio as I am not a fan of the urban sprawl in the Arlington area. I was raised in El Paso. Thought the Waco area is also a bit appealing.

...the Waco area is also a bit appealing.

Waco is where fun goes to die. Avoid it at all costs. It is merely a place to recharge your Tesla on the way from Austin to the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Austin, San Antonio, and the Hill Country are the desirable parts.

James (life-long Texan)

Waco is where fun goes to die. Avoid it at all costs. It is merely a place to recharge your Tesla on the way from Austin to the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

James (life-long Texan)

+1.

James (life-long Texan)

Well, there is some fun in Waco - they have a great field!

[video=youtube;G2BZIpa89lw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2BZIpa89lw[/video]

But, you can drive there from the fun places.

Jim (40-year Texas)

A good friend of mine moved to Georgetown, just north of Austin, when he retired. He was from Texas but two other families followed him after they saw the area. Neither had lived in Texas. So, there's three votes for Georgetown. I'd move to the Houston area, but nobody ever said I'm sane.

H_Rocket, I beg to differ, there are lots of areas worse than EP. But maybe none that you'd ever consider.

I moved to Plano, north of Dallas, with my family from the Northeast 28 year ago. It was a good move for us, I had already added "y'all" to my vocabulary after a short stay in Richmond VA and most of my neighbors and co-workers were transplants as well. I think I've met more native Texans after becoming a BAR in 2006. My daughters started elementary school here so they know all about the Alamo and Stephen Austin's Old Three Hundred but not much about the Boston Tea Party or Valley Forge. They are both now married to good old Texas boys.

Some other random thought:

Urban sprawl is putting the squeeze on flying fields. Plano and the other cities in the area prohibit model rockets on their pristine soccer fields and parks. Don't know for sure about Arlington.

Allergies hit me hard for a long time, spring and fall. I tried everything and found eating local honey, placebo affect or not, has decreased my sensitivity over time.

Austin might be number 3 behind Houston and DFW for urban sprawl. What do you think James Duffy ?

I have yet to make down to Asa. This weekend will be no exception. :cry:

Last edited:
We're actually looking at Mansfield, just south of Arlington. It looks really nice on the Google street views and housing prices are very good. I wouldn't want to live in a city, but I don't want to live in a rural area either. A nice suburb with modern conveniences is what we're used to. Plus, I do miss the freedoms that were once part of CT, but seem to have vanished in recent years. It's certainly not like when I was growing up. Political correctness abounds. Plus the economic environment is pretty shaky here thanks to our current state administration.

You already know my feeling in the matter having just recently made that exact move. Weird. Good luck with what ever you guys decide. Come out for a look to see what you think. Plenty of great places to eat are waiting on you.

I'm just west of Houston, having moved from Toronto, and I really like it. I've visited over 40 countries and I have to say Texans are the nicest, most genuine people I've ever met. The notion that every third person most likely has a concealed carry took a little getting used to, but it is what it is - they're still nice, just armed in case YOU aren't nice. Compared with Toronto the value per dollar (and therefore the standard of living) is incredible. From Katy I'm a 2 hour drive from 4 great launch sites (Tripoli Houston, Johnson Space Center, AARG and Waco).

A good friend of mine moved to Georgetown, just north of Austin, when he retired. He was from Texas but two other families followed him after they saw the area. Neither had lived in Texas. So, there's three votes for Georgetown.

Make that four, as I live in Georgetown. Also, Austin is home to the Austin Area Rocketry Group, one of America's finest rocketry clubs. The main AARG launch site is about ten miles from the center of Georgetown.

James

Make that four, as I live in Georgetown. Also, Austin is home to the Austin Area Rocketry Group, one of America's finest rocketry clubs. The main AARG launch site is about ten miles from the center of Georgetown.

James

Sounds like we have a winner! Maybe (El Paso + Houston)/2 = Georgetown?

C'mon Dick, you and I came from opposite sides of the Franklins, but it does not matter as the border with Juarez is now somewhere around McGregor range now...

Actually I do miss the desert, even after 30+ years. I really miss seeing the horizon.

Yes, the Arlington area makes reasonably routine trips to Argonia a possibility.

C'mon Dick, you and I came from opposite sides of the Franklins, but it does not matter as the border with Juarez is now somewhere around McGregor range now...

Actually I do miss the desert, even after 30+ years. I really miss seeing the horizon.

Yes, the Arlington area makes reasonably routine trips to Argonia a possibility.

At 85mph, Georgetown isn't so bad either.

You already know my feeling in the matter having just recently made that exact move. Weird. Good luck with what ever you guys decide. Come out for a look to see what you think. Plenty of great places to eat are waiting on you.

Yeah, but you started in TX, made the mistake of moving to CT, then subsequently cured your temporary insanity. I'm starting here.

Any move is hard. Harder when you ain't young. You will undoubtedly experience a lot of culture shock. The cure is regular injections of Tex-Mex and BBQ. Texas is good.

You and me both (miss the desert)... I have lived a couple times in El Paso TX... went to Austin high school up to my Junior year. But you're right, I miss seeing the horizon myself.

I am a transplanted Texan but I got here as soon as I could. Illinois is cold in the winter and so were the women. Actually, they were frigid all year long. I found the cure Deep in the Heart of Texas! :wink:

Any move is hard. Harder when you ain't young. You will undoubtedly experience a lot of culture shock. The cure is regular injections of Tex-Mex and BBQ. Texas is good.

Yes! The food makes the move worth it alone. If that's not enough, it's 71 degrees now with a gentle breeze and bright blue skies.

Remember Bernie, while I did start out in Arlington and wound up in CT, when I left CT I brought Lu with me. She has spent all her life in CT until four months ago. You couldn't pay her to go back now. She is already a Texan, she loves it and fits in seamlessly. There is a sweeter pace of life here, there is a happiness you don't readily find in the NE.

Yes! The food makes the move worth it alone. If that's not enough, it's 71 degrees now with a gentle breeze and bright blue skies.

Remember Bernie, while I did start out in Arlington and wound up in CT, when I left CT I brought Lu with me. She has spent all her life in CT until four months ago. You couldn't pay her to go back now. She is already a Texan, she loves it and fits in seamlessly. There is a sweeter pace of life here, there is a happiness you don't readily find in the NE.

So THAT'S why you came to CT! You had an ulterior motive!

OK, it's sounding better and better to me. I always liked the idea of Texas, even as a kid, but I've never been there. We may be paying a short visit at the end of March to see how it feels.

[video=youtube;QltlctqfY4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QltlctqfY4E[/video]

... they're still nice, just armed in case YOU aren't nice....
This actually would make me feel more comfortable.

The reason(s) my wife and I were looking at Texas were: good economy, low cost of living, home prices that are 1/4 what they are here, mild winters, and OPEN SPACES.
Possible cons are: rattlesnakes, occasional hurricanes, and I hate large bugs. - yes I'm the guy who jumps when I see a 1" centipede. :y:

Come on out and Lu and I will take you guys out to dinner at you soon to be favorite Mexican place.

Back