Building the Estes Apollo 11 Saturn V: Tips, Tricks, and Modifications

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, the Estes Apollo 11 Saturn V is likely to generate a degree of interest perhaps not seen before for a model rocket kit (with the possible exception of the Estes 1/45 scale Little Joe II). Let's use this thread to share any wisdom gleaned from previous kits and during the process so that everyone can be successful with their kits.

(apologies to James Duffy)

[EDIT] Upon finding that there is no Apollo II Saturn V that ever flew, I corrected my mistake which was based on Estes' mistake).

Last edited:
For those with the older kit from the 1980's that had the shorter engine hook of the 1990's E motors, I found (with my Mercury Atlas) that the engine hook can be bent out flat (using a couple of needle nosed pliers), then re-bent to accommodate the longer modern motor.

Of course, you could always just cut it off, and then use tape to friction fit the motor.

You mean Apollo XI

I believe it's actually Apollo 11; however Estes font makes it look like "I I" (maybe copying it from elsewhere/some previous reference).

EstesSaturnV2_CU1.jpg

Also it doesn't help that Estes' catalog shows the "Apollo Little Joe II" along with the "Apollo II Saturn V" on the same page. :tongue:

That, and the kit number 2157 clearly has a "1", where the Apollo shows "ll" which I simulated here with lowercase the "L" instead of the capital "I".

It's also true that before Apollo XI, there were the other flights of the Saturn V (Apollo 4, 6, 8, 9, and 10) and then there were the flights after it (Apollo 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and Skylab).

But no Apollo 2, Saturn V.

Last edited:
Maybe Jim finally found the factory in China! (Or wants to enjoy rocketry vicariously. :wink:)

Nope... But for those that have successfully finished a Saturn V, this is a good place to showcase their tricks to the rest of us (instead of lots of forum searching).

I used Chris Michielssen's excellent modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com site while building my Saturn V. I replaced the 24mm mount with a 29mm mount for the newer Estes 29 mm black powder motors.

Chris
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1455154606.967077.jpg

I got the 2157 a couple of years ago. A great build. Plan on taking your time. Need a good permanent spray adhesive for the plastic corrugations. The only issue I had was the wood glue caused an indentation on the circumference of the body tube, where the centering rings were attached. Not really noticeable unless you get close up.

This bird flies really nice on the 24-60 F35 reload. So take that into account when considering the thrust ring and motor hook installation. (Use an E length hook)? And you might need to add some weight to the nose if you go with the F35.

Oh and I did not use the stock chutes either, used one of the big ones that was intended for the booster on the top half and replaced the pair for the booster with some larger ones.

I might buy this one again! Got the first one on sale at Hobbylinc for $50 at the time.

Looks great on the desk too as a display. I cant wait to put the Little Joe next to it!

Last edited:
I used Chris Michielssen's excellent modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com site while building my Saturn V. I replaced the 24mm mount with a 29mm mount for the newer Estes 29 mm black powder motors.

Chris
View attachment 282072

What are the thoughts on how well those motors lift the weight of the Saturn V, which falls into PSII territory? Has anyone done a OR or Rocksim model with an E16 or F15? I'd wondered why John didn't make this update to begin with and take advantage of the newer motors. It seems like it ought to be self-evident, unless the design requires too much ballast to balance properly. But the catalog's project 150' altitude on the recommended motors is low enough to make me nervous should bonus-delay become a factor. I'd prefer to have a motor that would get a few hundred feet out of it...

As a tangent thought, with the reintroduction of this kit (and the pending release of the Semroc Saturn 1B), I also wonder how that'll impact sales of Apogee's 1/70 scale kits. Those kits are more expensive, but they're bigger and seem to be very well detailed. Not that it really matters, they really probably appeal to a different customer for those same reasons.

What are the thoughts on how well those motors lift the weight of the Saturn V, which falls into PSII territory? Has anyone done a OR or Rocksim model with an E16 or F15? I'd wondered why John didn't make this update to begin with and take advantage of the newer motors. It seems like it ought to be self-evident, unless the design requires too much ballast to balance properly. But the catalog's project 150' altitude on the recommended motors is low enough to make me nervous should bonus-delay become a factor. I'd prefer to have a motor that would get a few hundred feet out of it...

I added a little bit of nose weight (don't remember exactly how much) to bring the CG of mine back to stock. It's still well within the safe weight for an E16. It'll probably still work well on E30 too...

Chris

As a tangent thought, with the reintroduction of this kit (and the pending release of the Semroc Saturn 1B), I also wonder how that'll impact sales of Apogee's 1/70 scale kits. Those kits are more expensive, but they're bigger and seem to be very well detailed. Not that it really matters, they really probably appeal to a different customer for those same reasons.

Here is a link to the RKT file.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/unknown-estes-saturn-v-1100-scale.html

So, the Estes Apollo 11 Saturn V is likely to generate a degree of interest perhaps not seen before for a model rocket kit (with the possible exception of the Estes 1/45 scale Little Joe II). Let's use this thread to share any wisdom gleaned from previous kits and during the process so that everyone can be successful with their kits.

(apologies to James Duffy)

No apology required, I'm thrilled that you took the idea and ran with it!

James

Could any of you recommend a tool that could be used for cutting out the transition wraps? I don't think I have steady enough hands to finish the job.

If it's the part I think you are talking about, many drafting supply ships have circle guides. Literally circles of varying size for drawing purposes. They are hard plastic. They make excellent xacto knife guides for cutting curves in cardstock.

I've also used paint cans, mixing bowls, jar lids, etc. just search for one that matches the same radial curve as the piece you are cutting.

Back