2016 Estes Catalog

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So difficult in fact, that I built three Leviathans this way...

Exactly. I have two sitting in my basement waiting to built from exactly that combination of parts. <shrug> Some people need to be walked to the water and have their faces dunked into it before they get it.

I would love to see a Centuri line - you know, paying homage to some of the great old Centuri rox like the Super kits, Orion, X-24 Bug, or dare I say it - the original Shuttle concept kit!

Terry

I would love to see a Centuri line - you know, paying homage to some of the great old Centuri rox like the Super kits, Orion, X-24 Bug, or dare I say it - the original Shuttle concept kit!

Terry

Betcha a dollar that the Saturn V is heavily based on the Centuri Saturn V of the same scale (as opposed to the original Estes kit of the same scale)

Interesting that they list several composite motors.... did they make a comeback?
I'm curious about that as well - seeing how the popular theory is that they were moving away from the Aerotech deal and replacing the PSII line with models that can "fly" on BP motors. But most of the PSII models are also still in the catalog. At some point last year, several vendors started listing the Estes PSII motors as OOP. Hobbylinc has already taken the E30 motors from their site. And yet, Estes shows that as the only motor to use for the new LJ2, and it's also to be used on the upcoming Saturn V (which is heavier but also lists the E12-4). Curiouser and curiouser...

I'd like to see the smaller Nike Smoke as well. I built a BT60 sized one using the Semroc nose cone last fall, since its a little more of a "portable" size than the 3" PSII model. Mine used a 24mm mount, whereas it appears that the new kit will only be 18mm...

Betcha a dollar that the Saturn V is heavily based on the Centuri Saturn V of the same scale (as opposed to the original Estes kit of the same scale)

Perhaps. I'm wondering if JumpJet has any treats/tweeks in mind for this new release. :) Of course we have seen a Saturn kit numbered 2157 in production before.

2011 catalog Saturn V.jpg
https://www.estesrockets.com/media//catalogs/Estes_2011_Catalog.pdf

I'm pretty sure 2011 was a re-release but I couldn't find any other catalog entries. The instructions have a 1998 copyright date.

page 1 2157 instructions.jpg
https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/002157_APOLLO_11_SATURN_V.pdf

Estes came out with an improved Saturn-V in 1988, which IIRC had some improvements that were inspired by the Centuri kit (Do not recall if it had the same vac-formed wraps as the Centuri kit, I never had an opened Estes kit). But it also had some new things such as Boost Protective Cover detailing (original Estes and Centuri kits had totally smooth capsules). That BPC detailing was for the sake of most of the manned Apollo Saturn-V flights, not good for the later 1/100 Little Joe-II A-001 which used that same kit capsule, requiring either sanding it smooth to create accurate detailing from scratch (A-001 had no BPC and was mostly smooth) or just leaving it inaccurate.

Anyway, Estes has re-released that 1988 kit a few times. Most likely this is another re-release of the 1988 version. Although I see that one of the recommended motors is an E12-4, so the mount likely is being updated to allow for the longer length (3.75" rather than 2.75")

88estf.jpg

88est058.jpg

Estes came out with an improved Saturn-V in 1988...

Anyway, Estes has re-released that 1988 kit a few times. Most likely this is another re-release of the 1988 version. Although I see that one of the recommended motors is an E12-4, so the mount likely is being updated to allow for the longer length (3.75" rather than 2.75")

88est058.jpg

You're quite right George, 1988 was the debut of kit #2001 that is the favorite of alot of builders. And Keith Niskern was part of the original Centuri design team if I've done my Internet homework correctly. :)

Whatever comes out later this year, I think it's time for me to pull the trigger and get one, so I'll start a little saving plan now. :)

Last edited:
This release of the Saturn V is the same as the release six years ago. The only difference is this one should have a two piece injection molded plastic fins instead of the two piece vacuum formed fins. I don't know about you but the vacuum form fins are a pain to assemble and bend or break to easily. Also I believe extra capsules will be purchased and sold separately on the Estes web site for those who need or will need new ones for replacing lost of damaged capsules\towers.

John Boren

Perhaps. I'm wondering if JumpJet has any treats/tweeks in mind for this new release. :) Of course we have seen a Saturn kit numbered 2157 in production before.

View attachment 282035
https://www.estesrockets.com/media//catalogs/Estes_2011_Catalog.pdf

I'm pretty sure 2011 was a re-release but I couldn't find any other catalog entries. The instructions have a 1998 copyright date.

View attachment 282042
https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/002157_APOLLO_11_SATURN_V.pdf

I scored mine in 1990. Estes has most if not all of their catalogs available for downloading... https://www.estesrockets.com/customer-service/full-catalog/

Your quite right George, 1988 was the debut of kit #2001 that is the favorite of alot of builders. And Keith Niskern was part of the original Centuri design team if I've done my Internet homework correctly. :)

Whatever comes out later this year, I think it's time for me to pull the trigger and get one, so I'll start a little saving plan now. :)

Same. :)

Honestly, I think Estes is going to well this year. They're releasing some of the old favorites (Comanche-3, Saturn V) as well as some very nice kits.

This release of the Saturn V is the same as the release six years ago. The only difference is this one should have a two piece injection molded plastic fins instead of the two piece vacuum formed fins. I don't know about you but the vacuum form fins are a pain to assemble and bend or break to easily. Also I believe extra capsules will be purchased and sold separately on the Estes web site for those who need or will need new ones for replacing lost of damaged capsules\towers.

John Boren

Jumpjet,

Is the saturn V here to stay?

John Boren

100% buying an extra capsule for a 1/100th Little Joe II. Like I stated earlier, I will be buying one of everything new.

John Boren

Injection molded fins? THANKS!!!! :wave::wave::wave::wave:

Please sell those separately too. I'd love to not have to make the vacuum formed fins for my unfinished Saturn V.

Cool. Still have it ? Flown it lately ? In storage ?

Yes, I still have it, it's unfinished, and in storage.

Last edited:

John Boren

hzzah.jpg

...1988 was the debut of kit #2001 that is the favorite of alot of builders.

The '88 kit was the first Estes Saturn V kit that I ever purchased and built. Before that it was either out of my reach financially as a kid, or cars/beer/girls were a higher priority. Having built both that kit and the later 2157 release, I can say that I vastly preferred the embossed paper wraps of the '88 version, which I understand was a hybrid of both the Estes and Centuri releases: general structure of the Centuri version, wraps and detail parts from the Estes version, with oversized balsa fins.

Some may find my view heretical, but i find the subtle features of the embossed paper wraps look more scale-like, and it was a heck of lot easier to paint the roll pattern without the detail parts in the way, as they could be painted and installed separately. Having said that, the 2157 kit builds up beautifully, and I look forward to purchasing one of the new ones just for grins. This thread also gives me an excuse to share the following video of the one my daughter built and flew at the 2011 NARAM in Cincinnati:

[video=youtube;_mCfsQYqkMs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mCfsQYqkMs[/video]

James

Is the saturn V here to stay?

I have recommended that it be a permanent kit in our line up going forward, but I don't make those decisions. Only time will tell how long it stays around this time around.

John Boren

This thread also gives me an excuse to share the following video of the one my daughter built and flew at the 2011 NARAM in Cincinnati:

James

Wonderful video, no excuses necessary. I cross my fingers during some of my launches as well ! :)

The pedigree of the different flying Saturn V kits is interesting, to me anyway. :cool:

JumpJet do you think it would be possible for those of us who have a
couple Saturn V could get a couple of the plastic fins kits for the kits
we already have when they come available?

I'm sure there are others that would buy these fins if they were made available.

Thanks John,
Maybe one Capsule assemble and four fins. You could call it Krash Kit.

I second this. Definitely would like a set of those fins. The vac form ones are pretty terrible. Lol

I wouldn't mind a set either. I have a 2157 kit from the last release still in the box. Maybe after I get the LJ II built, I'll get the motivation to build this too.

If not, I'll probably go with the Moldin' Oldies set from Sirius Rocketry.

I have two of the 2157 kits. Definitely wouldn't mind doing away with the vac form fins. That's actually where I am stuck on both builds.

Latest posts

Back