So...mini engines...and tiny rockets, hints?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirNomad

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I found some more rocket bits and that included a couple of short lengths of 13mm tube. I'd like to turn this into a rocket, but am unsure about fin design/stability, and I was thinking of flying on A mini motors. I was thinking of some kind of tumble recovery for one, and a streamer recovery for the other. I do have two of the NC-5s! This tubing is more "slippery" than I'm used to, and I'd be having to cut fins out of balsa wood or use "craft sticks".

I plan on painting these as brightly colorful as possible to aid in recovery.

I also downloaded OpenRocket and have never used it before, I can't afford the price for rocksim and am eager for any hints on using OpenRocket. :)

So, any suggestions?

Hey folks!

I found some more rocket bits and that included a couple of short lengths of 13mm tube. I'd like to turn this into a rocket, but am unsure about fin design/stability, and I was thinking of flying on A mini motors. I was thinking of some kind of tumble recovery for one, and a streamer recovery for the other. I do have two of the NC-5s! This tubing is more "slippery" than I'm used to, and I'd be having to cut fins out of balsa wood or use "craft sticks".

I plan on painting these as brightly colorful as possible to aid in recovery.

I also downloaded OpenRocket and have never used it before, I can't afford the price for rocksim and am eager for any hints on using OpenRocket. :)

So, any suggestions?

I'd suggest downloading one of my .ork files (down in the Plans forum), and looking through it. There's also a parts library and a nosecone library for you to download common items not found in the standard form of OR, and a tutorial for doing some of the tricks that I've figured out over the years. For marking tips, you can look at neil_w's tutorial on decals.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I love my mini's, there's a great design by Bruce Levison called the Corkscrew its easy to build, durable and very satisfying to fly.

i personally dislike tumble recovery, it always looks like the model failed at ejection and broke apart. I stick to streamers or small chutes for heavy models

As for OpenRocket The more I use it, the less I trust any preset parts. I've had better success measuring and weighing what I had then plugging the numbers in the program
it would be wise to start simple and look over the tutorials and files previously posted

As for OpenRocket The more I use it, the less I trust any preset parts. I've had better success measuring and weighing what I had then plugging the numbers in the program
it would be wise to start simple and look over the tutorials and files previously posted

I use the presets as I am doing an initial design, but then measure/weigh the parts to get a more precise simulation. I also weigh things before/after glue, so I can accurately put that into OR. I often use OR just to play with design ideas, even if I am not going to build it. I just played around with an 18" diameter V2 with 4 M motors. No plans to build it in real life, but fun to do it in the virtual world.

My recommendation is to make several as I always find a way to lose 'em.

I use the presets as I am doing an initial design, but then measure/weigh the parts to get a more precise simulation. I also weigh things before/after glue, so I can accurately put that into OR. I often use OR just to play with design ideas, even if I am not going to build it. I just played around with an 18" diameter V2 with 4 M motors. No plans to build it in real life, but fun to do it in the virtual world.

I know what you mean haha, I spend a lot of time designing something that will never be

heres my latest, who knew a ping pong ball had so much drag?

DiamondStar..jpg

...who knew a ping pong ball had so much drag?

Not sure that the available sims take surface roughness into account, but you could always try adding dimples like on a golf ball to reduce the drag a little.

Latest posts

Back