Estes Sizzer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRFfan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 18 mm Estes Sizzlers are still in production? I'd like to buy one.

(Also, a ORK or RKT file would be greatly appreciated)

Which one? There have been at least 4 versions of the Estes Sizzler (and one of those has two variants) that match the description you've given.

The OOP 1906/1432 which had two different versions (differing by the nosecone used) (Black, White, with Red markings)
The OOP 2171 the minimum diameter version (Black, with Yellow, Orange, and Teal markings)
The OOP 2127 rear ejection version (Yellow and White with Black and Blue markings)
The 2472 with the plastic fins that twist lock the motor in. Which was still in the 2015 catalog. (Yellow and Black)

est1906@.gif
2171_1.jpg
rp_est_sizzler.jpg
31uBFCgfK9L._SY445_.jpg

I've got .ork files for the 1906 and the 2127 in my .ORK Files Thread.

The stubby yellow and black version is still in production.

Last edited:
The 2171 version. I saw it on EMRR and it looked kind of cool, (2000 ft on a C6-7 for only ~$13!) I went to TRF to get some info on it.

The 2171 version. I saw it on EMRR and it looked kind of cool, (2000 ft on a C6-7 for only ~$13!) I went to TRF to get some info on it.

By the year 2171, L is no longer a Letter, so it really is a Sizzer.

I've found that it uses the PNC-20A nosecone, a 12 inch parachute (which is likely to guarantee you'll lose it), and the BT-20E (7.75" long).

https://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/Estes_Nose_Cone_Reference_10.1.pdf

https://www.psc473.org/howto/EstesTubes.pdf

The instructions are available from Estes. https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/002171_SIZZLER.pdf

I can't sim it properly without a good scan of the fins (which I haven't found yet). The .ork file below is based on what I do know about the kit, the fins are just a guess.

View attachment Estes Sizzler (2171) Minimum Diameter (First Draft).ork

Last edited:
I had a 2171 and flew it on a C6 - once. Never saw it again after it left the pad.

I had a 2171 and flew it on a C6 - once. Never saw it again after it left the pad.

My first rocket was the Reliant, minimum diameter very much like the 2171 except with a streamer. Only rocket I ever lost or destroyed. Went up an a C6 and never landed.

We just built a 2171 with my kids. I have a rkt file for it.

This first style Sizzler (red, white, and black) was my first hobby rocket, I got it as part of a starter set. I still have it, although at one point it spent a couple weeks in a tree until rain dissolved the glue holding the shock cord mount. I rebuilt it, and never flew it after that. This has got me all nostalgic, I should either dig it out or clone it, heck I might even still have the original decals somewhere.

This first style Sizzler (red, white, and black) was my first hobby rocket, I got it as part of a starter set. I still have it, although at one point it spent a couple weeks in a tree until rain dissolved the glue holding the shock cord mount. I rebuilt it, and never flew it after that. This has got me all nostalgic, I should either dig it out or clone it, heck I might even still have the original decals somewhere.

I'm fairly certain that the Sizzler (1906) was my fourth rocket (following the Spin Fin, Stiletto, and the other candidate for 4th, my first Cherokee D).

I got it for Christmas, along with the BigFoot launch pad (my step-brother also got the same starter kit). Mine had the single piece blow molded nosecone. At the time, I didn't know the difference between gloss and flat paint, and I didn't seal the fins. So, my decals started coming off almost immediately upon it's entering service. I launched it a few times before the body tube got crushed in an accident. The surviving parts were incorporated into a D powered SPEV of my own design, which has flown several times as well.

I've got another two in my stockpile of builds. Both are awaiting paint. One is a partial clone (original fins, original nosecone and parachute, replacement motor mount and body tube). The other is a BT-60 upscale. This is one of those designs that I'd love to do a 3" or 4" upscale of one of these days.

Last edited:
Hi! I just joined this forum and was happy to find it! How I found this forum was that I too was searching for the Sizzler (1906) which I had years ago and loved. Then I got out of rockets for awhile and now back hoping to launch a few with my grandson. And hoping you don't smack me too hard for hijacking this thread (blush ...) if anyone has one lying around or knows anything that would be great. I know they've been 'gone' a long time now!

welcome back to the hobby. looks like it should be fairly easy to clone, looks like erockets has the nose cone(SEM-BNC-50YP), and all the other bits (except the fins, those you'll have to do your self).
Rex

Hi! I just joined this forum and was happy to find it! How I found this forum was that I too was searching for the Sizzler (1906) which I had years ago and loved. Then I got out of rockets for awhile and now back hoping to launch a few with my grandson. And hoping you don't smack me too hard for hijacking this thread (blush ...) if anyone has one lying around or knows anything that would be great. I know they've been 'gone' a long time now!

If if you want to clone it, I have a .ork file for it in my OpenRocket files thread.

attachment.php

I include both variants of the nosecone that it came with, the blow molded nosecone, and the injection molded nosecone.

Decals may be available from Tango Papa (website hasn't been updated in awhile, but he's still active).

Last edited:
K'Tesh, wasn't one of the Sizzlers a rear ejection?
I think I seen one on ebay a while back that was.
It was quite pricey, but it sold.
I believe it pre-dated the EX2, ARF & RTF kits.
Which I believe the make especially so you don't have a lot of time into when you loose it on a C6 Engine.

Same here. It has flown many times and is yellowed, decals are chipped and the BT is bubbled from a composite D flight.

K'Tesh, wasn't one of the Sizzlers a rear ejection?
I think I seen one on ebay a while back that was.
It was quite pricey, but it sold.
I believe it pre-dated the EX2, ARF & RTF kits.
Which I believe the make especially so you don't have a lot of time into when you loose it on a C6 Engine.

That would be the 2127 version.

Thanks everyone for your help! I may scratch build it. It would make a fun project for an old geezer! :)

of course you could get the newest version to have something to fly while you're building the older version...:). a lot of folks get back into the hobby for the 'kids', are we not all kids at heart?
Rex

Rex .... I think you're right. Yes, I have a grandson. Is that my excuse for rocketry? Maybe!

introducing the uninitiated(no matter what size) to rocketry is always a good thing. besides it is fun listening to their comments, it reminds us of when we started.:)
Rex

Last edited:
I was looking at it too, but decided against getting it. I've got higher priority rockets to try to score.

Latest posts

Back