Aerotech Fin Tap question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with the fin tabs breaking over a period of time on Aerotech rocket kits where the tab allows the fin to be used for different size airframes? I'm getting ready to build four 2.6" kits and was wanting to make an improvement on this area during the build. I was thinking about leaving the aft center ring out so I could spread Loctite plastic welding epoxy evenly over the surface of each tap to give it more strength, on both sides then glue the aft ring in.

Anyone out there doing anything different or nothing at all?

Maybe one other question, I'm out of medium CA glue to build these kits and was wanting to use a good local CA glue, could someone recommend maybe a loctite brand or some other brand that I can get at less say a Lowe's Home Improvement or a Walmart? Closes hobby ship is 40 miles.

Wasn't sure if the Loctite Red control bottle was viewed as thin or med?

Thank you!

Has anyone had problems with the fin tabs breaking over a period of time on Aerotech rocket kits where the tab allows the fin to be used for different size airframes? I'm getting ready to build four 2.6" kits and was wanting to make an improvement on this area during the build. I was thinking about leaving the aft center ring out so I could spread Loctite plastic welding epoxy evenly over the surface of each tap to give it more strength, on both sides then glue the aft ring in.

Anyone out there doing anything different or nothing at all?

Maybe one other question, I'm out of medium CA glue to build these kits and was wanting to use a good local CA glue, could someone recommend maybe a loctite brand or some other brand that I can get at less say a Lowe's Home Improvement or a Walmart? Closes hobby ship is 40 miles.

Wasn't sure if the Loctite Red control bottle was viewed as thin or med?

Thank you!

Never had that problem.

You'll just be adding unneeded weight/mass to the model.

Never had that problem.

You'll just be adding unneeded weight/mass to the model.

+1 to what Bob says and I've built them all. FWIW-Any 'super glue' product will work-seems that's the default name of CA in hardware stores. I get a couple of packs of "super glue gel' at my local dollar (99 cents, Dollar Tree,Dollar General, etc.) store. It's just thicker or 'gap-filling' CA but in a tube.

Okay, thank you. I've had two out of four of my rockets break a fin at the break away points on the tab, just wondering. They landed on hard ground that has been mowed.

Okay, thank you. I've had two out of four of my rockets break a fin at the break away points on the tab, just wondering. They landed on hard ground that has been mowed.

I neglected to mention there is a mindset out there that thinks you should only attach the fins sparingly so when they do come down hard, they just pop off and it's an easy repair. I fly in the desert and it's amazing how hard the playa can get. Don't understand why core samples go so deep tho'.......

I neglected to mention there is a mindset out there that thinks you should only attach the fins sparingly so when they do come down hard, they just pop off and it's an easy repair. I fly in the desert and it's amazing how hard the playa can get. Don't understand why core samples go so deep tho'.......

I followed that mindset with my Barracuda. Just some CA where the tabs contact the fin lock rings and a thin coat on the root edge. No fillets. No issues at all under thrust in 15+ flights and the one landing that hit hard one fin popped out and was repaired on the field.

DSC01403 (533x800).jpg

Last edited:
Gorilla brand super glue has worked pretty good for me as a substitute for meduim CA. It's available in a small plastic bottle as well, which I like much better than the little foil squeeze tubes.

I've used enough CA and honestly can't tell the difference between the brands...they all sting your eyes and glue your fingers together very well. :wink:

I do like to use the Harbor Freight brand small tubes (comes in regular and gel). This way it's no big thing if it's dried out after a few uses...I just grab another. A few times I've had entire bottles (like the large Carl Goldberg and Great Planes ones) dry out completely after one or two uses. :facepalm:

FWIW - I like the Loctite Pro 0.70 oz (available at most places it seems) and have used it to refill Krazy Glue brush bottles when they run out...fairly thin, so it brushes on well. Also I have the dollar store stuff, but haven't used them yet.

BTW - You can fix the typo in the thread title with "Go Advanced" during editing. :)

Back