minimum diameter conversion with fin slots

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I have a fiberglass kit that I was going to build as minimum diameter. It has fin slots and through wall fins.

It is easy enough to cut off the fin tabs, but where would it be best to attach said fins? I could put a casing wrapped in parchment paper or plastic wrap in place and try to glue into the slot, but I am concerned about how much glue will end up where it is needed and end up helping, instead of being useless dead weight filler. I could also attach straight to the body with JB Weld, then go to my usual West fillets and fiberglass cloth, which would cover up and smooth over the empty slots. Given how strong my last fin set feels, I am kind of inclined to go with the latter, but I would like to hear from those who have done this before.

Do it all the time cut off most of tab leave .060 or what ever body tube thickness is. Wrap motor tube 2-3 times with wax paper glue fins on. the slot will help keepthe fins straight.

Do it all the time cut off most of tab leave .060 or what ever body tube thickness is. Wrap motor tube 2-3 times with wax paper glue fins on. the slot will help keepthe fins straight.

+1......
Been there,, done that...
That 1/8" thickness of the wall of the airframe I think makes a difference....
In holding the fins straight and in strength....

Teddy

Back