What's the story behind YOUR TRF handle?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I retired as a Chief Petty Officer from the U.S. Navy after 20 years service. My rating was a Nuclear Machinist Mate. I also did this job on submarines both types, Fast Attack the USS Pintado (SSN-672) and Missle the USS Tecumseh (SSBN_628B). Hence nukemmcssret. You all have a great day. :cheers:

Last edited:
Two of my passions - crabs and rockets. Steamed Maryland blue channel crabs, I mean. They're a way of life, more than just a food! :cheers:

I try to type fast but am not very good. Noticed that I was misspelling my
name the same way more than typing it correctly and rolled with it.

The capiltalization happened inadvertently from there.

I am Viperfixr on TRF, and Stealthfixr on RP.

As an active duty US Air Force maintenance officer, I've worked about every fighter in the active and recent retired inventory. I became "Stealthfixr" when I worked the F-117A, but then I moved to the F-16CJ for the second time, so I became "Viperfixr" on the new TRF.

Since then, I moved to Nellis AFB where we have every fighter in the USAF. So, with the F-22 Raptor being there, I am kinda Stealthfixr again. Or, maybe I need to be Raptorfixr? I think I'll stick with Stealthfixr.

Yep, Bob Ross... It was Richard Simmons until last night.

Ahhh....Bob Ross rules :clap:

Never seen a more "MELLOW" fellow.....used to make me fall asleep while using that big`ol fanbrush of his.

Beating that `ol devil out of the paintbrush up in the sky.....RIP Bob !

Paul

Gee it looks like we CMASS people are all alike.
My name and initials.

I would have been really disappointed if you didn't turn fun guy into fungi. It was just a question as to whether John B. would find this thread before you read it again.

And to get it back on topic, isn't his his first initial and last name?

Tony sums it up pretty well. There are a few CMASS folks on here with a little more imagination but most of us have nothing to hide (or we do and we just don't realize it).

Occupation minister...first name Keith...nothing to see here, move along people.

Mine is pretty simple also John is my first name. NWWA is North West Washington ( State )

picked mine up at a launch, I usually have the family with me (wife and up to 5 of my kids) and they have all built rockets at one time or another.
so when i fill out the launch cards, one is for my name the next has a diferent first name and so on, the announcer started saying they were from the Preston Rocket Team, so being a geek I shortened it to the "TLA" of PRT.

Sticker is easy to figure out. Shock comes from my profession. I used to chase sparks for a living.. (I was an electrician) I thought the two went together pretty well. even though it kind has bad connotations. also at the time I started the business someone had given my son a "No fear" t-shirt. it has a little kid on his knees sticking a fork in an outlet.. I thought it was perfect.

the 23. always been my lucky number.. I played as 23 in baseball and football for years. my wifes birthday is the 23 of june. and when I first put her in my cell phone. what do you know speed dial 23..

I have been wearing Converse All Stars since I was a kid and have collected over 200 pairs over the years. Chuck Taylor was a basketball player that wore them and then became their leading salesman. So I have used the handle Chuck Taylor on all sorts of websites over the years.

Tony sums it up pretty well. There are a few CMASS folks on here with a little more imagination but most of us have nothing to hide (or we do and we just don't realize it).

Well it is not me! Initial of my first name and my last name. On the old TRF I was Tucker5246, Tucker was our dogs name and 5246 is our garage code...oh gee now all of you can break into my garage!:y:

I was born with it.

I never really understood why people use handles and not their real names in a forum like this. Some other types of forums, anonymity might be useful, but not this.

- George Gassaway

I'm with george on this one.

Did you read about Blizzard is going to start using real names in their forums. Seems like they think it will cut down on the flame wars that go on in their forums. Blizzard has upset the native population:cyclops::rolleyes::D

I've been using mine for all my online stuff for years. The Rocketman part is pretty self explanatory. The 248 is from the soundboard at the recording studio I had an internship with at the time. The Mackie 24-8. I've been using it ever since.

Mine comes from one of my greatest rocketry interests. Upscalng. After taking a look at upscale rocketry's website, I drew up plans on autocad(what's rocksim?) for an 8x upscale mosquito. Then I started upscaling some of my favorite rocket designs. Most I had never owned before. None of the upscales were built. somewhere right in the middle of that I found the old rocketry forum. signed up and never got an email. then a while later came back and thought something looked different about it, oh well, let's try signing up again. BAM it worked. So I had never built an upscale, but still liked the name from when I tried to sign up on the old TRF, and used on YORF.

Ironically, after have been using that name for a couple years, I am just now building my first upscale. And she's a big one too. Also, it is an upscale of a kit I have never owned in any variation. The alpha:D

Interesting thread!

Amateur radio operators, all around the world, know each other by our call signs - there's no one else in the world with the call sign N5WD.

Like my wife says: I'm unique!

Well mine is about what I have been doing the last 5+ years.

I am truely biased as this gig I have is what I wanted to do since I was in grade school. It took me awhile to get here but I got here.

Now I just wish some "leaders" up North sitting in glass houses would have a "happy meal" and realize what our Space Program has done for us and the world since the early 60's. A couple tons of good folks won't be doing what I am doing come this time next year.

My homage to one of NASA's finest (and largely unknown) moments, courtesy of EECOM John Aaron and astronaut Alan Bean:

One of the coolest handles out there, in my opinion.

There's a great write up on this episode of Apollo history in Andrew Chakin's book.

The HCM is simply my initials. The BANJO is my real job, what I do outside of rocketry.

My last name is Truax. Very early on in the Marines, mostly thanks to my Drill Instructors,:eek: everyone just started just calling me 'AX' or AXE, the last sylable of my last name. It stuck, for YEARS! lol
I still go by 'AXE' almost everywhere on the web, and rather often in 3D life, especially among the other vets.
It was my forum handle until January, when decided I wanted something a bit more, 'rocket cool' (geeky). As I love rocketry, space, and space exploration, I used Space- and made a play of the word explorer-to AXEplorer.
'SpaceAXEplorer':D

Eric:)

I thought it was Stormtrooper of Death. Didn't they have a song titled "Pre-menstral Pricess Blues?"

I stand corrected....nice catch !! Still around until 2007.Hmmmmm ,who knew.Yah ,they had a bunch of tunes who`s titles cannot be mentioned here !!

My younger journeyman partner loves that stuff.

Paul T

I have been wearing Converse All Stars since I was a kid and have collected over 200 pairs over the years. Chuck Taylor was a basketball player that wore them and then became their leading salesman. So I have used the handle Chuck Taylor on all sorts of websites over the years.

Wore those as a kid. And many called the shoes "Connies" too. I think you picked the correct nickname ... :D

For me, Trident was always my favorite Estes kit. And although I'm in hiatus now due to my machinist going thru a bitter divorce, I've got a rocket product I was selling last year, via my company "Trident RocketWorks" ...

Maybe a re-introduction and some new items later this year.

My name is Matt Shoemaker. I used to date a girl whose father was a New York Italian. He called me Mattie Shoes. It stuck. :)

Now everybody who sees it assumes I've Italian heritage. It's mainly Germanic, though the Shoemakers have been in the US since the 1600s. In fact, some of them fled the country and hung out with King George because they supported the British during the revolution. Wheee!

Back