• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Info and Scans of the Estes Solar Flare (2401) decals/Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing an .ork on the Estes Solar Flare (no. 2401) and I'd like to get my head around the decals. I'm also looking to verify the fins I found on rocketreviews.com's .rkt file.

I suspect that the ring fins are 3.5" OD and 1.25" long. Can someone confirm this? I also need the thickness of the ring fins.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
Forgive the terrible lineup on the rings, I built it some time ago :) I'll work on scans of the decals if I can find them.

1" rings, 3" OD

24582362510_f6c1daa57b_c.jpg

Forgive the terrible lineup on the rings, I built it some time ago :) I'll work on scans of the decals if I can find them.

1" rings, 3" OD

24582362510_f6c1daa57b_c.jpg

Thanks for that.

Are you sure that the rings are 3"? If the center body tube is a BT-50 (at nearly 1" OD) In the photos I've seen the balsa fins look longer in height than 1".

I could use the scans if you've still got them.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Jim, I probably have the plans and scans. I but this one, and an upscale and a downscale.. Give me a day or two to dig around.

Thanks Marc!

I've got the plans (thanks to Estes), It's the fins and decals that are the problem.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Oh... Here's something that I didn't factor into my thoughts... if it's 1", and not 1.25" long, then that could mean that the scaling of the fins is off on the .rkt (which is possible). I think I'll play with it some more, when I wake up.

[EDIT] Tried downscaling the fins, and noticed that the root edge of the booster's fins wouldn't match the length of the booster anymore. However, those front fins on the sim look awful large.

Last edited:
I have decals scanned. I think I had gordy scale them up and down. Or maybe I did it myself but either way i have the files as pdf. Just checked remotely and see a decal scan and fun pattern scans.

That's perfect!

Once I can print it out, I'll be able to take the measurements I need for the file.

Thanks!
Jim

Ok, based on the scans provided by Marc, I've got the ring fins at 1" long and 3.417" OD, with an ID of 3.4047". Can someone verify that for me... That's a really odd diameter. Could someone measure the "First" or "Second Stage Interface" decal. My printout of the scans cropped them short. By my math it should be just shy of 10.75" long (barring overlap).

The decals that appear to band the rocket (between the fins) are looking to be 13/64" wide, and the front pair are separated by 1/8".

This isn't done yet, but you can see the improvements I've incorporated.

The forward fins have been corrected, and the main/booster fins have been adjusted to reflect the changes found in the scan from Marc, I've also updated some of the decals (mind you the font isn't correct, I couldn't afford to buy a single font for $70).

Oh, what is the thickness of the balsa?

Last edited:
This sim was lost in the great HD crash of 2016...

Had I got the requested info (fin thickness, decal widths), I'd have been able to post it, and it wouldn't have been lost. I'd still like to do it, but w/o the info, I won't post it.

Is anyone willing to check their rocket for me?

Ok... Talked to John Boren (it's one of his first designs (if not the first) he told me about this). Got the details about the ring fins... May have been a custom body tube for the ring fins.

1" length, 3.34" ID, 3.376" OD

Balsa 3/32"

Now that I have the info I need... I can't access the .pdf of the instructions on Estes website. Anyone? Anyone?

STILL can't access the .pdf file of the instructions. Can someone scan it for me?

Thanks!

HomerSimpson.png

I totally forgot to ask John about the hole in the booster's side. It has to be a vent for evacuating the cold gasses between the stages due to the gap staging... However, I don't know its diameter, nor location.

I could also use the dimensions of the "Green Adapter Rings", "Green Engine Blocks", and the "Yellow Engine Block".

Can someone answer that for me?

Last edited:
Back