Black Brant II: BT-50 size for 18mm motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maiden video is up.

[video=youtube;Wa1g-XnApLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa1g-XnApLA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Awesome! So glad you found it and she'll get to fly again another day!

On this particular build, you'll have to ask Flyfalcons about his retention (betcha it's tape).

And you're right, he did a nice job on the paint.

Last edited:
Thanks Bobby, and yes, friction-fit on the motor which I have found takes about one wrap of 3/4" masking tape near the bottom of the motor. I suppose you could also use clear tape on the motor and tail cone. Four flights on mine so far, three B6-4s and an A8-3. Great performer.

I should add that I really hate friction fitting motors but couldn't find a better solution that had at least minimal elegance on this design.

Last edited:
Now that my skills with OR have improved, I can now upload the file with the decals included... (Less the fin decals)

Mini Black Brant II 18mm (mod)(decaled).jpg

Attachments

• Mini Black Brant II 18mm (mod)(decaled).jpg
    Mini Black Brant II 18mm (mod)(decaled).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Mini Black Brant II 18mm (mod)(decaled).ork
    37.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
This thread inspired me to try building one myself. That and already having the nose cone in my parts bin.

Since I didn't have any regular 2050 CRs, just one 1" long 2050, I rough-cut it into 3 pieces. Two 1/4" with a center 1/2"
20160430_220144_HDR.jpg

I printed fin templates and the tail cone template from OR and cut them out. The tail cone is card stock with the paper template glued on, cut out then gently rolled around a nose cone to prevent creasing.
20160430_220305_HDR.jpg

Here is the short tube section along with the tail cone in place
20160430_224112_HDR.jpg

After gluing the main body tube on, I used a hack saw to cut a deep line down the middle
20160501_185830_HDR.jpg

Then sanded with 150-grit to try and get the wasp-waist look. Seems good enough for 15 ft away on the pad...
20160501_191651_HDR.jpg

Fins going on one at a time, letting the high-tack glue hold the fin while it dried. I used Elmer's Probond Max for this build.
20160501_221819_HDR.jpg

Ready for paint!
20160502_191640_HDR.jpg

I just ran out of primer and white paint so I'll have to leave it bare for now. This model really needs the majestic black and white paint scheme/roll pattern, otherwise it's just another 3FNC, IMO.

Thanks for sharing that, Chris. It makes me genuinely happy that you liked this design enough to go ahead and build one of your own. I think you'll find it will gain a lot of attention at the launches you go to.

Thanks for sharing that, Chris. It makes me genuinely happy that you liked this design enough to go ahead and build one of your own. I think you'll find it will gain a lot of attention at the launches you go to.

+1

When I get the chance, I think I'll give it a go too.

This is a good time to get them all sanded up and sealed blah blah you guys know what to do. Just make 'em pretty.
YA, bla,bla ,bla....That's where I stopped my Estes kit build of this beauty. Just make,em pretty. :lol:
All the pieces parts have been FnF and were put back in the bag.

Anywhoo--- You did a great job on yours. :clap:

Back