Personal Launch Report LUNAR Snow Ranch 2/6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hball55

Reaction score
vlcsnap-2016-02-06-19h27m04s862.jpgvlcsnap-2016-02-06-19h19m31s580.jpgI had three flights today, the first being my scratch built 54mm min. dia. rocket (Dark Star) on a J250FJ. I had a Mobius camera mounted on it and got some decent video. Rocksim had my rocket apogee at just over 4000', and my RRC3 reported 3959'.

My second flight was my Madcow 2.6" Nike Smoke on an I200. Rocksim had apogee at 3100', but I didn't have an altimeter to report actual altitude. I used a Zeptomag magnetic apogee detector for apogee drogueless deployment and a Jolly Logic Chute Release for actual deployment at 600'. I was really worried about the nosecone coming off at launch due to the 29/360 casing taking up so much room, so I added a couple of pieces of tape to secure the nosecone. Flight was nominal and the Jolly Logic released the parachute at 600' near the lower end of the spectator area, right where the creek was at its widest. Of course, my rocket landed in the creek, the nosecone hit a rock and chipped the tip, and my Jolly Logic chute release got a thorough bath. Luckily, the nosecone floated and my magnetic apogee detector stayed dry.

My last flight of the day was my Madcow 2.6" Honest John on an H669 to only around 1800'. I had to settle for apogee only deployment with my magnetic apogee detector, as my Jolly Logic chute release had bit the dust on the previous flight. This rocket missed the creek though, but I did get quite a big burn hole in the middle of my parachute.

Back to the drawing board for me.

Last edited:
Henry, send me your Chute Release and I'll fix it up for you. Address on Support page of Jolly Logic website. I'll make sure it's in perfect health.

Henry, send me your Chute Release and I'll fix it up for you. Address on Support page of Jolly Logic website. I'll make sure it's in perfect health.

Thanks John, I have it packaged and addressed, ready to go out on Monday.

Back