Aeropack MD 38mm CTI Mtr Adapter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wighty44

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The photo below shows both Aeropack MD motor adapters for CTI 38 & 54mm motors. Unlike the AeroTech adapters, these are screwed into the motor end after removing the BP cap and charge from the motor. The "pins" at the adapter's end fit into the "touch hole" at the fwd end of the delay element. Notice that these "pins" have different lengths.

I first test-fit the MC54 adapter on a 54MM I120IM motor. It fit very well. But when I tried to test-fit the MC38 adapter on a 38mm I195RL I found the only way I could get the adapter to engage the end cap was if I drilled into the delay element because the adapter pin was too long.

There's no mention of the need to make a hole in the delay element on AeroPack's website, and it seems odd that I would have to do that without there being some mention of it somewhere. So I'm wondering if the pin length is wrong, or perhaps the adapters are reversed as labeled on AeroPack's website.

Has anyone else used this 38mm adapter? If so, what did you do?

AP CTI MD Mtr Adapters.jpg

You got those mixed, the one with more threads goes into the 54mm motors and the one with less threads go into the 38mm motors.

I am not sure how you are tightening the retainer to the forward closure but I find hand tightening them only gets you so far for me anyway, and I found the best way is to use a 6 point socket, I think it's a 22mm, can't recall. Regardless the socket allows you to tighten it fully and remove it very easily. I still find them a bit tricky to line up at the beginning and often have to back it out once I get fully seated just because it's slightly off square.

View attachment 281683

View attachment 281684

View attachment 281685

View attachment 281686

View attachment 281687

View attachment 281688

I've been putting the adapter in a vise and the squaring-up the BP cup and pressing inward as I turn it to engage the threads. I have found (as did you) that backing it out and re-engaging the adapter does allow the adapter to go deeper into the cup.

Although I've only tested the adapters once, I found the 54 mm motor plastic softer than the 38mm motor.

Last edited:
Back