An 'easy' scratch built RC BG's?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKailas Dad

Reaction score
I am absolutely intrigued with boost gliders, particularly ones with remote control, though I have never built one.

I've searched here quite a bit looking for a relatively simple, yet preferably somewhat large, scratch built RCBG.

I have most of what I think are the basics, I can source the servos, receiver and radio from an Emaxx, but I will need a small (1s?) battery.

Of course, the local 'Dollar Store' has foam board, and I know Hobby Town has carbon fiber rods of assorted sizes.

I would like to build something around the AT 24/40 case I have. I do not have the RC (or plugged) case.

I do have 29mm cases, but I'd better get my feet wet first! An RCBG would be -sick- on a sparky, but I'm guessing would disintegrate upon ignition :(

Would anyone be willing to share plans to build something along these lines?

Ah, yes, I just remembered the new "law" on the sizes and weights of unmanned aircraft...so I'll try to keep it a gram or two under that :) I'll have to double check the numbers, but 220 grams rings a bell...?

Thanks!

+1 Dynasoar, Frank has awesome, well thought out products. They may not be scratch but they are great fliers.

No FAA registration required as long as your model is less than 250gr/9 oz max weight.

Franks all foam designs really like the E6 reload, which is not compatible with the regular 24mm case. Some of his newer models with body tubes like a little more power since they weigh a bit more, but the are in the weight range that requires FAA registration.

29mm motors are not out of the question for RC RGs. The model just needs to be appropriately designed to handle the power. Frank has done 29mm versions of his InteR/Ceptor and his X-15. They like the G25 29mm motor.

Last edited:
Back