Finally Got An Andriod Tablet!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
Wow! These things are awesome!

I've never had a Tablet before, but a Thrift Store I sometimes visit had one of the RCA models for $24.99, used of course, but reset and good enough for all I thought I wanted it for. The brand new one of this one is only $50.
I figured I could use it as an MP3 player for my truck with an FM Transceiver that I have on it's way from Amazon. The newest model that searches for an empty station so that it does'nt suck.

Turns out it does so many things I could never have imagined! So far I have Maps of places I go saved, both street and satellite from Google Maps, so that I can view them while offline, and a Chess game, and of course my music and some Pics'.
I have now been watching videos on youtube about things you can do with your Andriod equiped tablet and there are some neat things.
I got it for $20 since the owner of the store used to be a customer of mine when I managed the Sporting Goods Dept. at a local Hardware Store, long ago.
I'm having a blast with it!
My Son had to show me how to use it, but I caught on quick, and now think I will find it quite useful.:)
I think more tablets are in my future. I also think my Mom would enjoy one, and if I see another affordable one down there, I'll get it for her. She's older, and I think she could get a lot of use from one of these, especially since she likes to stay in touch with my Son, and it would be easy for her to carry the tablet from room to room, rather than have to sit at her computer desk to get on her PC. She enjoys brain games and Chess and stuff like that too, so she'll like that part.

My Mom is on her 4th tablet. I get them for her to play games (no internet access). Cards, Jawbreaker, link up, etc. She wears them out, but gets a lot of use out of them. She is limited in her activities, so it gives her something to do.

I also downloaded Firefox with Ad Block Plus to it, so I can browse like I do on my PC.:)
I even logged in here from it yesterday!
The screen is only 7", but I could get around good enough.
I will be getting one of the cases with the built-in keyboard, to use if I want to use it on a forum or have the need to type anything on it, as the screen keyboard is too tiny in my opinion.

My Mom is on her 4th tablet. I get them for her to play games (no internet access). Cards, Jawbreaker, link up, etc. She wears them out, but gets a lot of use out of them. She is limited in her activities, so it gives her something to do.

Awesome! Yeah, my Mom is disabled, so I try to find ways to provide her with enrichment. She's always been a pretty decent Mom, so I don't mind trying to be a decent Son. Someday I might be old, right?

I got to play on my daughters tablet yesterday. Even with the 'small' 7" screen, it sure is easier to read than this darn smarter-than-me phone :/

It's amazing how much they've come down on price, maybe...someday..I'll own one lol

I got to play on my daughters tablet yesterday. Even with the 'small' 7" screen, it sure is easier to read than this darn smarter-than-me phone :/

It's amazing how much they've come down on price, maybe...someday..I'll own one lol

I use a cheapo $7 Tracfone prepaid flip phone for a cell phone, and I rarely use it, so it only costs me money to add minutes to it when it runs out of service days.
Me and technology in general don't get along, and I have no need for a social anything, let alone an entire network, so I'm quite happy.

Maybe someday I'll have a "Smartphone".
My Tablet was only $20. No Contract or need to buy more minutes just to get more service days.
Granted, I won't talk to many people on it if at all, but that is right up my alley!

Glad you like it Top. Be aware, there is no going back once you get accustomed to having a tablet around.

That's a great deal!

One thing to note: Expect them to last anywhere from 1 month to 2+ years. Speaking from personal experience as a developer. Of my 6 test devices, 3 still work.

Yeah just cant beat the portability and the capability to consume information and entertainment on the fly. I have used the mini HDMI port to connect to hotel TVs and watch my Hulu and Netflix from tablet. Also just started playing with a Miracast adapter, very cool! (I think you need Android 4.4 to use this)? Hook the adapter on the back of the TV, provide 5v power to it. The TV displays the IP address of the device. Connect to that Wifi network. (The Miracast one). Open the webpage of the adapter Configure the adapter to join your regular Wifi network. Join your tablet to your regular Wifi network. Go into settings, display, cast screen. This connects your tablet wirelessly to the TV. Now you can stroll around the room and pop stuff up on the screen for all to see. I have two mini projectors that this adapter works with as well. Cool stuff for impromptu presentations.

That's a great deal!

One thing to note: Expect them to last anywhere from 1 month to 2+ years. Speaking from personal experience as a developer. Of my 6 test devices, 3 still work.

Yeah, I had done some research before deciding to try one, and heard mixed results so that's why I decided to get a used one cheap.
If I was not sure I'de even use it, I did'nt want to be out for the price of a new one.

Last edited:
With all the buzz about latest greatest biggest fanciest tablets, the smaller, cheaper older ones get overlooked. Even a basic 7" tablet can do so much cool stuff. Bravo to you for picking one up. Enjoy it!

With all the buzz about latest greatest biggest fanciest tablets, the smaller, cheaper older ones get overlooked. Even a basic 7" tablet can do so much cool stuff. Bravo to you for picking one up. Enjoy it!

I am definitely enjoying it! I'm lovin' it!
I really like the Chess game that I downloaded.
I can get any song I like by using the Youtube to MP3 Converter website.

I showed it to my Mom today, and told her that I'm getting her one.
She of course said "No", but she's like that, always hates to have folks do something nice for her even though she goes out of her way for everyone else. I explained to her how I believe it is important to her to have one for enjoyment and enrichment, and that she's getting one whether she likes it or not.:)

Yes they are handy - the Android ones.
I made the mistake of buying a Windows tablet also. What a waste.

Update!
I used it for the first time in like a month or something like that today because I had to do a lot of driving and my back was already hurtin', so I knew I'de appreciate the distraction of the tablet set to random, as all my MP3's are Youtube conversions. I hate music in general, and need to find things that are musical only to me to listen to, and that means a very obscure playlist.

Anyhow, I realized that the tablet is a distraction, and I don't really like it anymore for what I thought I wanted it for, but it does make the best calculator I've ever used, so I use it for that mostly. The graphics on the display always blow my mind, as I was able to see my dog in my yard on Google Earth.
I once made a scar in Iraq that could be seen on Google Earth. I was very proud.

It's just too distracting, as I have real life going on all around me 24-7-366.
I want to listen to it now, but can't bring myself to touch it anymore, as it distracts me to the point that should never be.
I have a fifteen year old Son, a Dog, and Six Cats, plus my Truck and Rockets.
I'll likely only use the applications of the tablet to enhance those assets.

Last edited:
You need to do a cat thread.

My very first thread here was titled "Cats And Rockets".:)

It was back in my "Drinkin' Days", so it was likely a goofy thread, and I don't care to re-visit it.

The only reason I know it was my first is that I looked it up the other day.

I'm going to be using a dual boot tablet for rocket tracking. It's pretty refined for that. Can also load windows and Android rocket apps as desired. It's a bit more sophisticated that a handheld GPS with more screen real estate but has to be put into a box
in order to suppress glare from sunlight. The handheld GPS screens are meant to be used in direct sunlight. Kurt

I'm going to be using a dual boot tablet for rocket tracking. It's pretty refined for that. Can also load windows and Android rocket apps as desired. It's a bit more sophisticated that a handheld GPS with more screen real estate but has to be put into a box
in order to suppress glare from sunlight. The handheld GPS screens are meant to be used in direct sunlight. Kurt

Interesting, and good point about the sunlight thing!
I have to remove my clip on sun glasses to see the screen on my tablet.

My very first thread here was titled "Cats And Rockets".:)

It was back in my "Drinkin' Days", so it was likely a goofy thread, and I don't care to re-visit it.

The only reason I know it was my first is that I looked it up the other day.

I liked the goofy threads. Various metal songs etc. Oh well, sound like it is for the better.

I liked the goofy threads. Various metal songs etc. Oh well, sound like it is for the better.

Definitely for the better! I've never been "out of control" but I was going there if I did not get a grip.:wink:

I have a firm grip now, and will not let go til' the day I die!
I can even have a responsible and enjoyable relationship with alcohol now. I can have one shot of whiskey or whisky from time to time, or even up to three 12oz. beers.
I just love myself too much to hurt myself with alcohol. Life, even when painful, is simply too good to miss any single second of, and I intend to enjoy it as much as is inhumanly possible.
I just changed my perspective and stayed into things that kept me present, like building rockets and walking with my animals.
It can be tough dealing with the mental and physical injuries that War can inflict on a person, but the fact that I'm still here, even if a little worse for wear, is testament to my intestinal fortitude and ability to adapt.
No crying in the Koolaid for me, I've moved on to bigger, better, and more consequential things.
My "VA Disability Rating", as embarrassing as it is, has to make up for that by becoming a blessing, since there is no surgery that can fix me.
I embrace my un employment as best I can, by trying to further the rocketry community.
It really is the only thing I can do. I was a Gunsmith and Gun Salesperson before I joined the Army, where I was just a glorified Gunsmith, and then, when I came home I was offered many jobs, but I took one at a Dairy, making Goat Cheese, because I wanted the one that was least like the last one. I did that as long as I could, but complained to my V.A. Doc about how much pain I was in, and he said that since it was all service connected, I'de be ok to take compensation for my injuries.

Anyway, I feel like a total dick and loser for not working anymore, but my skillsets are very limited, and regular employment does not suit me at this point in my life.

I'm building and designing rockets now, and I have to be dedicated to that. I have been very dedicated to everything I've ever done.

If no one like you folks were here to appreciate and some times offer encouragement, I would likely be in a pretty pathetic place right now.

Thanks again TRF!
Your Members are the BEST!!!

And for those that miss the "Old Me":

I still love to post an occasional AWESOME Video.

[video=youtube;Ij99dud8-0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij99dud8-0A[/video]

My Grandpa was a WWII Airman.
Worked his way from Tailgunner to Pilot, and then to surveillance planes like the Artillery Spotter.
He got shot down often, and somehow made it home. He's a BADASS! I'm here because my Grandpa decided he was going to live through WWII in the Pacific. Poor guy. He is my hero, and I used to call him when I could from Iraq, as I figured that he was my only family member that would understand anything about "Stuff". That was a dead end, and I can now understand why.
When I am his age, the last thing I want to talk about is killin' and war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9aQvjMS60

Last edited:
[video=youtube;ve4kcWuQYsU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve4kcWuQYsU[/video]

Interesting, and good point about the sunlight thing!
I have to remove my clip on sun glasses to see the screen on my tablet.

At the last MWP I put up an unobtrusive 38mm MD rocket that destroyed one of Bill's
launch guides because stupidhead here failed at putting the rocket on a clean rail.
It went to 8500 feet anyways on a J350 none-the-less and landed 1.66 miles away on the EggFinder TRS/LCD.
Since I'm an absolute cheapskate and pay $100.00 a year for 400 minutes on a subscription phone,
I didn't have an online access to maps. My Android device got me to the rocket with the app "GPS Rocket Locator" albeit I had to ford unseen drainage ditches since I didn't have access to online maps. If I had maps, I would have seen and would have been able to drive onroad, stopped on the shoulder and had an easy walk to the rocket.

The dual boot has the potential to do stuff like this with the EggFinder/TRS and APRS Ham Beeline trackers too:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?132634-900mhz-gps-trackers&p=1558916#post1558916
I can't wait to try it out and loaded an H250 on a "mule" rocket to test out just tonight that
is planned to go to "outta sight land" to 3700' for this sized rocket. Hope all works out for the tracking test.

Kurt

At the last MWP I put up an unobtrusive 38mm MD rocket that destroyed one of Bill's
launch guides because stupidhead here failed at putting the rocket on a clean rail.
It went to 8500 feet anyways on a J350 none-the-less and landed 1.66 miles away on the EggFinder TRS/LCD.
Since I'm an absolute cheapskate and pay $100.00 a year for 400 minutes on a subscription phone,
I didn't have an online access to maps. My Android device got me to the rocket with the app "GPS Rocket Locator" albeit I had to ford unseen drainage ditches since I didn't have access to online maps. If I had maps, I would have seen and would have been able to drive onroad, stopped on the shoulder and had an easy walk to the rocket.

The dual boot has the potential to do stuff like this with the EggFinder/TRS and APRS Ham Beeline trackers too:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?132634-900mhz-gps-trackers&p=1558916#post1558916
I can't wait to try it out and loaded an H250 on a "mule" rocket to test out just tonight that
is planned to go to "outta sight land" to 3700' for this sized rocket. Hope all works out for the tracking test.

Kurt

That sounds pretty awesome. I would someday like to get into rockets with onboard electronics, and have already built a a BT-60 DRT with a payload bay to fly something it as my learning platform.
I would also like to someday learn to assemble my own configurations like what you have been doing.
This one has my first personally designed retainer. Up until now, I had only used friction fit. Estes style hooks and pre-made retainers like Aero-Pack, Estes and Rocketarium.
The Bay has a removable bulkhead and nose cone, secured by tiny screws and hardened points, and everything is glassed in 1.25oz. Glasscloth.
Oh, and it is still in primer because it is best to fly them before you waste $15 on a paint or decal job.
Detailing the fins will also only be worthwhile it is is fun to fly.

D-Region T BT-60 2002-12-31 001.jpgD-Region T BT-60 2002-12-31 005.jpgD-Region T BT-60 2002-12-31 003.jpg

Last edited:
Is the DRT one of the Estes snap together plastic ones? I built one of that style bought in one of the Estes' clearance sales on their website.

For retainers, I use either the screw on ones you mentioned or mount a T-Nut inside and use it to bolt it in with clips or washers. I tried the barrel nuts, but end up screwing them into the rocket and have them rattle around. If the rear ring is on already, I drilled and used drywall screws in place of the Bolt / T-Nut system. Ugly, but functional.

Is the DRT one of the Estes snap together plastic ones? I built one of that style bought in one of the Estes' clearance sales on their website.

For retainers, I use either the screw on ones you mentioned or mount a T-Nut inside and use it to bolt it in with clips or washers. I tried the barrel nuts, but end up screwing them into the rocket and have them rattle around. If the rear ring is on already, I drilled and used drywall screws in place of the Bolt / T-Nut system. Ugly, but functional.

100% Scratch.

That sounds pretty awesome. I would someday like to get into rockets with onboard electronics, and have already built a a BT-60 DRT with a payload bay to fly something it as my learning platform.
I would also like to someday learn to assemble my own configurations like what you have been doing.
This one has my first personally designed retainer. Up until now, I had only used friction fit. Estes style hooks and pre-made retainers like Aero-Pack, Estes and Rocketarium.
The Bay has a removable bulkhead and nose cone, secured by tiny screws and hardened points, and everything is glassed in 1.25oz. Glasscloth.
Oh, and it is still in primer because it is best to fly them before you waste $15 on a paint or decal job.
Detailing the fins will also only be worthwhile it is is fun to fly.

I gotta say that is one darned nice looking project you have there!!
Kurt

Back