Best binoculars for Rocketry?????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TALON

Reaction score
OK, I am looking to get a pair of binoculars for tracking rockets. What brand & style (zoom, lens size, etc.) should I be looking at. I would like to stay in the $100 range, if possible. I was looking at some astronomy binoculars today on "Optics Planet". Would astronomy glasses work for rocketry? I wouldn't mind being able to star gaze & track the ISS along with tracking rockets. Yes, I know that a tripod will be very helpful with star gazing, I already got that covered (I think).
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

More importantly than magnification, in my opinion, would be field of view. Unfortunately, the fov decreases, as magnification increases. I would go with low power, 7X or lower, with as wide of a fov, and as light weight as possible. Much higher than that, and it will be difficult to keep them steady as you track. If you do decide to use binos to aid in visual tracking, ALWAYS BE AWARE OF WHERE THE SUN IS. Even with sun glasses on, a split second is enough to permanently damage your eyes, if not cause permanent blindness. It would be best, if you could find a place that will let you handle them, look through them, and compare different models in the store.

We have one of these in our range box - but I almost never use it. I have heard that "lower power" is better. Personally, a nice pair of sunglasses - and some extra friends to help me watch the rocket - that's what I use the most. :cool:

Hi Sabrina, Sunglasses, check (Ray Bans). Friends, check. But at age 61, my eyes need all the help I can get. :facepalm: I am getting into the upper range of Mid Power :cool: and would like to keep my eyes on my rocket. I belong to the DARS Club in Dallas, TX. I don't recall anyone at our launches with binoculars. At our High Power launches (5,000 ft. limit) again don't recall anyone using them. But 2 weeks ago I attended the ASA launch down in WACO, and one Rocket reached 13,000 ft., :eyepop: and there were several people with binoculars. It was at this launch that planted the seed to get binoculars.

Another couple of years and I will need a ATV to retrieve my rockets:eyeroll:

We have one of these in our range box - but I almost never use it. I have heard that "lower power" is better. Personally, a nice pair of sunglasses - and some extra friends to help me watch the rocket - that's what I use the most. :cool:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KMMNKO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Personally I agree with Sabrina, the lower power binoculars have enough field of vision to allow you time to follow the rockets ascent, higher powers are also known for appearing unsteady, they aren't actually any better or worse in the steadiness department than lower powers but the narrower field of view, makes you body movements greatly exaggerated and its easier to loose the rocket. Once you loose the rocket with a set of high power binoculars its really difficult to find again. My favorite personal binocs are a pair of compact Pentax Jupiter 8x20mm, they allow large enough field of vision to track a fast moving rocket, yet if I loose it to find it again. A pair of Pentax Jupiter III 8x21 binocs are about $33 on Amazon, I used to use them for duck hunting, deer and elk hunting since they were small and light enough to carry in the chest pocket of my hunting shirt/jacket or when hanging on the neckstrap were hardly noticeable (they only weigh 4.6oz).

img5634451578a7d6.09438870.jpg

P.S. I highly recommend a comfortable reclining chair as starting out reclined makes tracking with binocs much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
More importantly than magnification, in my opinion, would be field of view. Unfortunately, the fov decreases, as magnification increases. I would go with low power, 7X or lower, with as wide of a fov, and as light weight as possible. Much higher than that, and it will be difficult to keep them steady as you track. If you do decide to use binos to aid in visual tracking, ALWAYS BE AWARE OF WHERE THE SUN IS. Even with sun glasses on, a split second is enough to permanently damage your eyes, if not cause permanent blindness. It would be best, if you
could find a place that will let you handle them, look through them, and compare different models in the store.

I know all about the FOV, but I never thought about the sun. I have taken pictures with my 300mm telephoto lens. And I have swept through the sun with no pain or bad effects. But I realize that binoculars could cause more damage. I will have to put this into consideration, thx.

P.S. I highly recommend a comfortable reclining chair as starting out reclined makes tracking with binocs much easier.

YES, again with my age:mad: I have thought about a reclining lawn chair many times at launches, with or without binocs! The though of a reclining chair usually hits me after 2 hours at a launch,:facepalm:

The more you zoom in, the more likely you are to lose track of the rocket. My girlfriend is really good at shooting launch videos, but every time she zooms in, the rocket goes out of frame, and she loses it.

+1 for the less powerful binocs.

I'd say astronomy binoculars are not ideal for rocketry, but you could certainly use a smaller pair of astronomy binos if you want to. For astronomy, you are mostly aiming for light-gathering power that will give you the brightest images possible, so the objective lenses (big lenses in front) are extra big. That makes the entire pair of binoculars larger and heavier than a pair with a comparable magnification made for daylight conditions.

For example, a common size for handheld astro binos is 7x50 --- that means 7x magnification and 50mm objective lenses. Those 50mm lenses are going to gather a good amount of light for star-gazing. But they are going to weigh a couple pounds and be a lot heavier than something like a 7x30. A 7x20 might weigh a quarter pound and fit in your pocket. You don't need all that light gathering for tracking a rocket, so putting up with the extra size, weight, and expense is unnecessary. My good pair of astronomy binos is 10x70. They are HUGE, about the limit of what you can hold steady by hand, and I would never take them to a launch for tracking rockets.

With all that said, if you want to do some binocular astronomy and also use the same pair for rocket tracking, you can. I'd just recommend not getting big ones like 10x70, 9x63, 8x56. Get a pair of 7x50 binos. That should give nice bright star-gazing at night, but not be prohibitively heavy for a day of rocket watching (honestly, the bigger ones are tiring for astronomy too). And 7x is plenty of power for both astronomy and rocket tracking, and should have a good field of view Alternatively, if you want a lighter pair for rocketry, something like a 7x42 or even 7x35 would work great, and you could still enjoy some nice stargazing, just not quite as bright. Anything smaller, like 7x25 would be very dim and pretty much useless at night.

On another note, using binos on a tripod for astronomy is very awkward and uncomfortable. The only time it makes sense is when the binos are so huge you can't hold them. The best thing for astronomy is a comfy reclining lawn chair like someone mentioned earlier. A fully reclining zero-gravity chair is great. But a blanket on the ground and a pillow behind your head is pretty great too!

EDIT: If you wear glasses, like I do, then be sure the binoculars have eye cups that adjust in some way. Some adjust by twisting. Others have soft rubber eye cups that can be rolled forward. Some do not adjust at all, and that makes them impractical when wearing glasses.

Last edited:
I use 10X42 bino's and one of those gravity chairs that recline. I can comfortably watch rockets all the way up and down.

I need to get a pair that has focusing ability. My eyes are a wreck, and with the pair I currently have, everything in the sky looks out of focus.

I had tried binoculars a couple times as well, with limited success. I found it difficult to 'find' them, and unless they were under chute, was hard to keep them in view. On the way up..no way, I'd get whiplash lol. I had thought of a lower powered lens, piggy backed, similar to a telescope viewfinder would be helpful, but never pursued it.

I've had a pair of "big" binoculars for about 10 years now. They have lots of power and a wide field, which is why they are big. The ones I have don't cost much - under $100 if I recall and they have been reasonably durable. I can provide the name of them if there is interest, but I think they are these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AM87Q4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The trick to using them is to lay down on the ground. That keeps them steady and the weight is then not a problem. With them, if atmospheric conditions allow, I can track a 54mm rocket from 25K feet, which I have a need to do from time to time. Over the years, I have tracked the rockets of other fliers countless times.

Jim

Actually, I have had better results with my SLR's zoom lens than I have with binocs, now that I think about it.

Actually, I have had better results with my SLR's zoom lens than I have with binocs, now that I think about it.

Yeh, but my D200 +200MM 2.8 lens +battery pack weighs way more than a binoc :mad: Which is why I only use it for Cert 3 launchs (the pad is a long ways away). I get good to great results with my standard lens with low power-high power when I am less than 50 yds. away from the pad.

A big thanks for everyone giving me some input :clap: When I by a pair of binocs, I am going to get a pair of astronomical binocs in to 25x +/- range. If they are unsuitable for rocketry, then I will use them exclusively for star gazing & tracking the ISS.
The best thing I learned from this thread, is the Zero Gravity Chairs :cool: one is in my immediate future!
Thanks everyone!

A big thanks for everyone giving me some input :clap: When I by a pair of binocs, I am going to get a pair of astronomical binocs in to 25x +/- range. If they are unsuitable for rocketry, then I will use them exclusively for star gazing & tracking the ISS.
The best thing I learned from this thread, is the Zero Gravity Chairs :cool: one is in my immediate future!
Thanks everyone!

I don't want to dissuade you from your choice, but if you can, I'd suggest buying from a place where you can get a money-back return if it turns out not to be what you want. Optics are one of those things where being able to try before you buy is crucial, but unfortunately the best selection and prices are on line. So a good return policy is extremely important.

My opinion is that any astronomy binoculars in a 25x power are going to be extremely hard to use. The weight is going to be very hard to hold steady, and the high-power is going to magnify any microscopic wiggle to the point that the image is going to jump around so much you can't see it. For tracking ISS, scanning star fields, and looking at star formations, high magnification is not important, and past about 10x, it really starts to work against you. Magnification is for telescopes, not astronomy binoculars. Get something with good light gathering ability, and good multi-coated optics that let through a lot of light. In other words, the second number is more important than the first --- big objective lens number, low magnification number. If you divide the second number by the first, it should be around 7, not much less than 6. So 7x50 is good, 7x42 is ok, 7x35, not so great. 8x56, good. 9x63, good. 10x70, good. 25x70, not good, not bright, too much wiggle.

And being able to hold the binos steady with minimum wiggles and minimum fatigue is important too. For example, a 15x100 might have a good ratio for light gathering, but how are you going to hold that weight steady for tracking? 20x100 is even harder to use due to magnified wiggles. 25x100 is harder still.

My strong recommendation for Astro would be 7x50, 8x56, 9x63, fully multi-coated optics, and a good return policy. And any of those should work great for rocket tracking too, just maybe a bit heavier than ideal. Combine that with a zero gravity chair and you are golden!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

8x42 or 8x32s designed for hunting are what you want. Keep in mind that most optics makers are selling more 10x42 because 10 is better than 8, right? Well, no actually. 8x42 are what considerate hunting guides suggest to hunters. 10x42 is the bare minimum if you are watching or spotting deer grazing on a ridge across the valley and have time to observe it. 8x is better if you are looking - as in looking for a rocket in the vast expanse of sky (or weeds).

8x42 have an about optimum set of angles, distances, areas and mass to suit the human pupil and the human hand. You want a wide field of view, and a light touch with just enough mass to dampen movement. If the binocs strain your eyes or your arms you will use them less. If they strain your patience trying to find a rocket in the sky you will use them less. It they are too strong, you can't keep them pointed. If they strain your neck you will leave them in the truck.

8 power is plenty unless you are going so high that you really should have tracking. 8 power is about the max where you can keep something moving in the field of view, and what jitters occur are within the brain's ability to process the signals coming from the optic nerve as a coherent image. If you can just see an object at half a mile with the naked eye then 8 power can get you about 2 miles, or 4 times as far, AND 8x42 has just the right light, distortion, motion to make that image better for transit through the pupil and on to the brain. Spend $100 to $300 and you will really be quite happy with them. Look for the outer circle of the field of view to be as good as the center. The edge to black should be crisp and really close to the extent of the lens. And finally, unless you are launching your rocket into the woods at dusk, you shouldn't need fancy lens treatments, but that 42mm optic lens will make the dark woods a little brighter in case you have to go search in there.

Oh fine. Thirsty beat me to all the good points - except multi-coatings.

Last edited:
8x42 or 8x32s designed for hunting are what you want. Keep in mind that most optics makers are selling more 10x42 because 10 is better than 8, right? Well, no actually. 8x42 are what considerate hunting guides suggest to hunters. 10x42 is the bare minimum if you are watching or spotting deer grazing on a ridge across the valley and have time to observe it. 8x is better if you are looking - as in looking for a rocket in the vast expanse of sky (or weeds).

8x42 have an about optimum set of angles, distances, areas and mass to suit the human pupil and the human hand. You want a wide field of view, and a light touch with just enough mass to dampen movement. If the binocs strain your eyes or your arms you will use them less. If they strain your patience trying to find a rocket in the sky you will use them less. It they are too strong, you can't keep them pointed. If they strain your neck you will leave them in the truck.

8 power is plenty unless you are going so high that you really should have tracking. 8 power is about the max where you can keep something moving in the field of view, and what jitters occur are within the brain's ability to process the signals coming from the optic nerve as a coherent image. If you can just see an object at half a mile with the naked eye then 8 power can get you about 2 miles, or 4 times as far, AND 8x42 has just the right light, distortion, motion to make that image better for transit through the pupil and on to the brain. Spend $100 to $300 and you will really be quite happy with them. Look for the outer circle of the field of view to be as good as the center. The edge to black should be crisp and really close to the extent of the lens. And finally, unless you are launching your rocket into the woods at dusk, you shouldn't need fancy lens treatments, but that 42mm optic lens will make the dark woods a little brighter in case you have to go search in there.

This is great advice for rocket tracking binos. I think that would be just about perfect. It's not as good for astronomy. For Astro, you want brighter binoculars. For dual purpose with good characteristics for both and fewest compromises, I think 7x42 would be good. Or pick a pair designed for one purpose, and use it for the secondary purpose too, just knowing it's not ideal.

EDIT: I just wanted to add, the binos I use at launches are Nikkon Monarch ATB 8x42, and they are great. A little bit lighter, like 8x32, might be nice. I have also used these for star-gazing, and they are pretty good, despite not having larger objective lenses, because the coatings are so good that they let through a lot of light. I got these at an REI used gear sale for under $100, and they are usually much more expensive, so it was a great deal. The fact that they didn't cost me much and are already well used means I don't feel the need to baby them, which is also great.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice here! I just wanted to chime in that the best binoculars in the world are the ones that you actually end up using. If they're too big, expensive, heavy, etc that they sit in the range box then they are of little practical use...

Lots of good advice here! I just wanted to chime in that the best binoculars in the world are the ones that you actually end up using. If they're too big, expensive, heavy, etc that they sit in the range box then they are of little practical use...

That is so true. When I was seriously into astronomy, this is something people often said about telescopes. The tendency is to try to go more and more advanced, and after awhile, your hobby is too complicated, expensive and labor intensive to enjoy. I've got a nice telescope I don't even use anymore, and now all of my astronomy is binocular astronomy, usually on camping trips, just me in a meadow on a tarp with pillow behind my head, checking out the sights through my binoculars. It is much more enjoyable than hours of setting up finicky complicated equipment.

I have a pair of 7x35 wide angle perma focus binoculars. Perfect for rocketry since you don't need to focus them. Not perfect if you are a bird watcher and want to see things that are within 50' of you. The fov is 578'/1000 yards.

Back