Estes SLV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked through a few pages of the .ork files that K'tesh has so generously offered, but did not see what you are looking for. Check the 'Plans' section for that, I may have not gotten that far...

Open Rocket doesn't do pods very well (you have to fake them with thick fins, I think) so it's going to be pretty approximate if someone does want to do that. I have some measured altitude data off of mine - what are you looking for?

I just got one of these. Was considering clustering with the strapons. Anyone tried it? An open rocket file would be very nice to have.

Without engines the CG is at 23 inches from the nose. The CP is located 28.93 inches from the nose. The model has flown with an E12 in the center and 5 C6-0 motors in the pods. Flew perfectly straight.

John Boren

Here's my quick and crude ork estimate based on the look and a couple of comments on inner tube/side tube diameters on another forum saying they look like BT-50s. Sims to 860ft, so it's close, but not quite right.

I love playing with ork! :D

Estes_SLV_crude_ork.jpg

Attachments

• Estes_SLV_crude.ork
    2.3 KB · Views: 51
The description on the Estes site doesn't make it sound like it takes motors in the side tubes. Looks like it launches on just an E-12 for up to 1000 feet. Was that a custom job?

It was a custom job - John is the designer of the model. Having built and flown one of these.... it would be VERY simple to put 18mm motors in the pods. Just gotta figure out what to do with the gases from either the ejection charge or the burn-through of booster motors.

For the sim-builders: the main body tube and lower payload section tube are BT-55, the upper payload section is BT-60. The pods are BT-50 with BNC-50Js for nose cones (think Midget or Comet Chaser). The tube coupler is balsa, as is the central nose cone (looks like the balsa version that was in early BT-60-based Super Alphas). The transition from BT-55 to BT-60 is a short paper one (the lower payload section tube projects at least a couple of inches into the upper inside).

They may claim 1000 feet on an E12 (and maybe it gets closer at John's home field in Colorado). At sea level or near I have measured about 400 feet on D12-3s and not-quite-800 on E12-4s. From the AltimeterThree data, those are the correct delays.

A3 graphs attached. Flight 4 was on an E12-4, Flight 5 on D12-3.

FlightGraphSLV4.jpg

FlightGraphSLV5.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my quick and crude ork estimate based on the look and a couple of comments on inner tube/side tube diameters on another forum saying they look like BT-50s. Sims to 860ft, so it's close, but not quite right.

I love playing with ork! :D

View attachment 281550

Thanks, I'll try that once I get to my computer.

Since you posted in the HP forum, just how large of an upscale are you thinking about? Great candidate for an upscale, I think!

No, I don't have any plans for an upscale, I just posted in the HP forum by accident.

(an upscale would be cool, though)

Back