Rockets and Chemistry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckaila

Reaction score
Hi my name is Mckaila, (Yes as in Mckaila's Dad) I am doing a project for school, for my 6th grade science class and I'm wondering what kind of project we could do with rockets and what they have to do with Chemistry.

Rocket motors are the only thing that I could think of when it comes to rockets and chemistry.

Something as simple as:

What makes this glue better for attaching fins than another one. You can easily research the chemical aspects of glue with "Google" for discussion in class.
Even use different glues to attach fins , then try to break them off.....White glue... Super Glue Epoxy...

A bit more complex is what causes the motor to burn, create thrust, and make the rocket move.

How does the parachute work.....what makes it come out...how does Blackpowder create the pressure to "pop" the Nose cone off.

What chemicals make the powder in motors and how they react to make enough power to move a rocket.

Chemistry is even responsible for the electricity that lights the motor in the rocket..Research that if you can't do more hands on stuff.

Last edited:
Hi McKaila!

I guess all the time we spent together before on the Rocketry Forum, it's nice to see you here as a fellow member now :D

We are working on this together, but only have a few hours, a couple days a week to work on it. Some of this project will have to be done 'remotely'.

McKaila, maybe mention some if the possible topics? I remember chemical and physical change, density, and pressure.

I had thought we could compare the differences between black powder and composite motors, but maybe something a little more on 6th grade level.

Either way, I'm glad you picked something rocketry related for your project, now we need to decide on -what- to do ;)

Last edited:
There is a ton to do, even for 6th grade. Off the top of my head,

Motors
  • Propellant combustion chemical reactions & associated burn profiles
  • Differences between the various Composite burn profiles & colors
    • This is a relatively easy one to do in lab since it is already a standard lab test to look at various chemical compounds and see what colors they burn. ie, Copper burns blue/green Strontium - Red,

Adhesives
  • Chemical compounds and performance
    • (ie, white glue, wood glue, CA, various epoxies)
  • Chemical reaction of adhesives with substrates
  • Look at melting points, elasticity, solubility
Rocket Parts

• Chemical Properties of potential rocketry components
  • Analyze the performance of Cardboard, phenolic, Fiberglass, Carbon, etc when exposed to surface heat, pressure, prolonged / concentrated exposure to spent propellant You could even look into ways to mitigate the deficiencies of each

I could think of a lot more, but the short answer is that there are a lot of ways to take this. Let me know if this helps and if you need clarification.

Maybe looking into one of those kits that turn a 2 liter bottle into a water rocket, then test how different concentrations and temps of the "propellant" effect how high or quick the rocket performs?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BA3K0WY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

it could be like a "model" volcano just downwards.. and rocket related. Not to mention acetic-acid isn't the worst for you when in diluted concentrations like vinegar (he says as I have a bag of salt and vinegar chips next to me, but those are sodium-acetate usually..)

I believe there are different chemicals you can mix for different "volcano" explosions, maybe one flies best? Personally I'd just vary concentration of the reactants.

CH3COOH(aq) + NaHCO3(s) <---> CH3COONa(aq) + CO2(g) + H2O(l)

A one-to-one mixture should yield the best best results, considering the one to one relation of the reactants and the CO2(g).

Temp might be fun, but difficult and not at all possible to do in a scientifically correct way without lots of work...

Last edited by a moderator:
Differences between the various Composite burn profiles & colors
    • This is a relatively easy one to do in lab since it is already a standard lab test to look at various chemical compounds and see what colors they burn. ie, Copper burns blue/green Strontium - Red,

Flame tests are fun for sure! And kids love the colors. Could even make a hypothesis about what to add to the propellant to make it burn colors that current motors do not..

You could even do some atmosphere composition testing with rockets. Sounding rockets have taught (and continue to teach) us a great deal about out atmosphere and space.

David

I think at your age it'd be really cool to get into a quick overview of what chemicals make up modern composite solid rocket fuel..
Point out the different fuels, that they are the "fuel"..
And then point out the oxidizers,, that they release the oxygen..
And this is the reason that this rocket fuel works in the vacuum of space..
When you point out that once ignited you could bring these burning rocket fuels or propellants
to the bottom of a pool of water and they'd continue burning just the same..
I think when you got to that last part you'd get a great reaction from everybody...

Teddy

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much.&#128522;

See, I told you they were a helpful group! They've even come up with ideas I didn't even think of.

Either way, I've talked to your Science teacher, and we now have official permission to launch rockets at your school.

I'll have to check the dimensions on GPS, but it should be big enough area for at least an F motor, maybe a small G...

The first four that come to mind are these:

1. Bring in an assortment of glow sticks. Explain what they are, a non-reversible chemical reaction that yields visible light. Then suggest they be used to provide a light source in a rocket payload for a night launch.

glow sticks.jpg

2. deleted

3. Disperse some very finely ground sodium chloride into a rain cloud near the saturation point. It will result in precipitation (rain) via model rocket delivery.

Ref: Trip Barber, letter, Model Rocketry magazine, Nov. 1969, page 2.

4. Make one of the classic match head rockets using a match and aluminum foil. The usually gets a laugh that such a simple device can actually work. Then explain about the match head providing hot gasses, vented through a small opening resulting in thrust.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/TRC/Rockets/match_rocket.html

Attachments

• Titanium_tetrachloride.jpg
    Titanium_tetrachloride.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
The first four that come to mind are these:

1. Bring in an assortment of glow sticks. Explain what they are, a non-reversible chemical reaction that yields visible light. Then suggest they be used to provide a light source in a rocket payload for a night launch.

View attachment 281492

2. Obtain a small bottle of titanium tetrachloride. Explain what it is then disperse a small amount. When mounted in a ram air tube in the front of a rocket and slowly released through a vent, it provides a smoke source for tracking.

View attachment 281493

3. Disperse some very finely ground sodium chloride into a rain cloud near the saturation point. It will result in precipitation (rain) via model rocket delivery.

Ref: Trip Barber, letter, Model Rocketry magazine, Nov. 1969, page 2.

4. Make one of the classic match head rockets using a match and aluminum foil. The usually gets a laugh that such a simple device can actually work. Then explain about the match head providing hot gasses, vented through a small opening resulting in thrust.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/TRC/Rockets/match_rocket.html

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO #2...TiCl4 is not a 6th grade reagent...not even an unsupervised undergrad reagent.

Last edited:
Explain the chemistry and physics of a solid composite rocket motor, and what chemical and physical changes the fuel goes through upon ignition.

How much chemistry do you understand?

How much about the way rockets work do you understand?

How much about the way rockets work do you understand?

Hmm, I'd be curious to know what you have retained or remembered as well. I would think after us 'shooting rockets' hundreds of times together, I'm thinking -something- had to stick...right? lol

I estimated the field size of the Middle School (from GPS) to be about 1500x800 feet, in sort of an L shape. I just checked the NAR site, and that should be plenty big enough for a G, -if- we decide to go that big :)

Last edited:
Hi Mckaila!

When I think of rockets and chemistry, I think about how the solid propellent in a rocket motor burns.
"Burning" is a non-reversible chemical change.
The burning propellant creates a large amount of hot expanding gas.
When the hot expanding gas is directed through a small opening (nozzle) it creates the thrust which propels the rocket upward. :cool:

I personally experienced more "rockets and chemistry" when I built my Aerotech Mirage.
The directions for the Aerotech kit say to use "CA" glue.
This is a lot different stuff than the Elmers glue I have used before.
I glued my fingers together as soon as I opened the bottle of "CA".:facepalm:
We used nail-polish remover to get my fingers un-stuck.

Different glues have different "Chemistry".
Elmers Glue = Polyvinyl acetate
"CA" glue = Cyanoacrylate - also known as "Crazy Glue"
Nail polish remover = Acetone is the main ingrediant.

Good luck with your project Mckaila - Maybe I'll see you at Bong sometime !

2016-02-04 20.29.41.jpg

Here is an idea: how about comparing the chemical formula for several different types of commercial propellents and show how this translates into real world performance.

McKaila, I hope you can figure out your message 'inbox', there just might be a note or two for you there :)

I'd like to thank you all as well for input on this project, I'll make sure we keep you updated on the progress, and ideally...a video of the final product, though we're not sure what it's going to be yet :/

She's got 3 weeks until this is due, so we will have to use our time together wisely!

Last edited:
Don't forget the chemistry of paints! Lacquer, enamel... Why you can put enamel over lacquer but never laquer over enamel! Lots of good chemistry topics in rocketry finishing, easy to demonstrate for a school project.

Back