Foam for glassing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunderll

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for a source for some sheet foam, like used for the profile RC planes that is about 3MM (~1/8") or 5MM (.196") thick and capable of being covered with regular fiberglass resin and cloth. I know some foam is attacked by the resin. Thanks for any help!!

rcfoam sells depron in 2mm and 3mm rcfoam.com They also sell 6mm depron which I use a lot.
modelplanefoam.com sells 5mm+ foam that is similar to depron but not as stiff.

I've used regular epoxy on these with no issue.

Try a local hobby shop first as shipping can add up.

Or get some dollar tree foam board and soak/remove the paper covering if desired.

I have use the foam used for insulation under laminate flooring. I got it at Hone Depot, homes in huge package but it is cheap. Not at all locations, none where I live in Arizona, I got it in Wisconsin or New York or someplace when driving to a launch.

M

When I get back to building, I'm going to need "Latheable" Foam for Nosecones.
The Seawolf and AIM-7A Sparrow Missile cannot be accurately reproduced using common nose cones, and I'd much rather make my own than hire it out, regardless of how good the person making it is at making it. I need to learn these things.
It would be glassed after shaping of course.
What is recommended for that?
I have seen the layered/laminated method, but does someone produce solid round, tube shaped foam, say from 2.6" to 4" in diameter???

Last edited:
When I get back to building, I'm going to need "Latheable" Foam for Nosecones.
The Seawolf and AIM-7A Sparrow Missile cannot be accurately reproduced using common nose cones, and I'd much rather make my own than hire it out, regardless of how good the person making it is at making it. I need to learn these things.
It would be glassed after shaping of course.
What is recommended for that?
I have seen the layered/laminated method, but does someone produce solid round, tube shaped foam, say from 2.6" to 4" in diameter???

High density expanding (use good stuff, not from hobby shop) into a cardboard tube.
Tube also gives a better surface to grab in lathe chuck.

M

Michael's crafts stores, and probably other arts and craft places, sells hard styrofoam shapes, spheres, cones, cylinders, for flower arranging. These are rigid enough to turn on a lathe. You'd have to glue in a dowel to chuck in a lathe. They have a very rough surface to fill but would work.
The pink or blue foam tends to chip out badly if turned with wood chisels etc. Yoiu can shape it with a knife or hot wire then smooth it with a rasp or course sandpaper. Jim Coker recently did a good video on making a foam transition, A cone can be done the same way.

The expanding foam as above also is rigid enough to lathe. Be sure to use higher density, the very light 3 to 6 #/cf has too many bubbles and can crumble.

Back