Largest Motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Project 463 and Stratospheric dreams are both on the the LDRS 14 (?)/Balls 005 video too. I love watching them! Wore em out back in the day. Shame both projects were not successful. But man were they cool!

RRS is liquid, if I understand correctly. Outside of our range. Just my opinion.

They do it all, but a lot of liquid from what I've seen. There are some cool shots of micrograin rockets flying on their website. But yeah, wellll outside our realm. Even the realm of EX!

This isn't the largest motor, but should get an honorable mention. Scott Hertel, Guy Hardy and Gerald Meux built this rocket and the "Q" motor, then flew it last year at Balls 24. Most excellent video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRutrMYQiW0&feature=youtu.be

This wasn't a well funded Amateur team, just a couple of local guys that fly with me at TRA/PHX.

This isn't the largest motor, but should get an honorable mention. Scott Hertel, Guy Hardy and Gerald Meux built this rocket and the "Q" motor, then flew it last year at Balls 24. Most excellent video here:

This wasn't a well funded Amateur team, just a couple of local guys that fly with me at TRA/PHX.

I saw that launch at BALLS last year. Now that's a purely amateur rocket project, and done well!

This isn't the largest motor, but should get an honorable mention. Scott Hertel, Guy Hardy and Gerald Meux built this rocket and the "Q" motor, then flew it last year at Balls 24. Most excellent video here:[/SIZE]

Wow, that is excellent. Did it fly Friday? I saw the recovered rocket after I showed up on Saturday.

Flew Friday. That was an awesome day. P (and Q) motors going off left and right.

You should say "hobby rocket" motor. There have been a couple of R motors in the hobby field. Note that "amateur" falls in the hobby rocket field.

David Bucher
TRA 829
NAR 47674

Last edited:
You should say "hobby rocket" motor. There have been a couple of R motors in the hobby field. Note that "amateur" falls in the hobby rocket field.

David Bucher
TRA 829
NAR 47674

Waiting in the wings...... a 10 inch "amateur" R motor with an S case for a spare. I took this photo in 2011. The only thing lacking to get it off the ground is a Burning Man size bonfire lit under Gene's back side. If you know him, pay him a visit please. Don't forget your gas can & matches. No further comments here for now.

113_1973.JPG

Waiting in the wings...... a 10 inch "amateur" R motor with an S case for a spare. I took this photo in 2011. The only thing lacking to get it off the ground is a Burning Man size bonfire lit under Gene's back side. If you know him, pay him a visit please. Don't forget your gas can & matches. No further comments here for now.

113_1973.JPG

So that monster will use an 54mm Loki M for an igniter :)

113_1973.JPG

I have that same sofa.

The motors probably don't seem that expensive when you start using a helicopter for recovery.

The motors probably don't seem that expensive when you start using a helicopter for recovery.

Dang...

I here I thought the guys that fetch them on their 4 wheelers were spoiled :p

Though, honestly, I have yet to meet -anybody- at a launch with any kind of overinflated ego trip type issues. It seems these guys would literally give the shirt off their back to help someone out, even a complete stranger. (Even if it's for a puny little LPR...) It's the only hobby I've ever been involved in that I can say that!

You guys are the best!

The preferred method for recovering your rocket that went into space (the 2014 CSXT GoFast rocket, based on onboard IMU data it reached 385K ft [above sea level] and Mach 5.4) that landed 30 statute (US) miles from the launch site (still within the 20 nautical mile radius circle from the FAA COA, we launched from the Southwest corner of the circle and fired to the Northeast) is to search for the rocket using a small private airplane.

While a helicopter has the advantage of landing and picking up your rocket (how cool is that), the endurance of the helicopter after flying it from Reno to the Black Rock area is limited. With a small private airplane you have endurance and can efficiently fly a search pattern.

Then you can spot the rocket from the air, and note the GPS coordinates of the landing site. A picture from the air of the 2014 CSXT GoFast rocket payload section on the ground is below.

GoFast II Payload Section from Search Aircraft.JPG

During the approximately one month it was laying on the ground after the flight, apparently the wind kicked up and the parachute dragged the payload section across the ground. You can see the drag marks on the ground going from left to right leading up to the payload section in the picture.

After logging the GPS coordinates, you can drive out later to the site and pick up the rocket. A picture of Jerry Larson and another member of the 2014 CSXT GoFast rocket team with the recovered payload section is below.

GoFast II Payload Section Recovered.JPG

Chuck Rogers

Last edited:
[video=youtube;OW2UvW6xLP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8[/video]

[video=youtube;Mfz1YrpMbBg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz1YrpMbBg[/video]

Just plane crazy.

Bob

Back