RC batteries for launch system?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbecks

Reaction score
My launching controller has two external large aligator clips to hook to a car battery. I've had great luck with using a car battery for launches because it never fails. On the other hand it's a huge hassle to have a car battery to lug around.

I'm building a new launch controller and was wondering if a 4000mah 7.9V Lipo would give me good consistent launches? I'm only firing low and mid power rockets with Estis igniters.

Pre-thanks for any info.

My launching controller has two external large aligator clips to hook to a car battery. I've had great luck with using a car battery for launches because it never fails. On the other hand it's a huge hassle to have a car battery to lug around.

I'm building a new launch controller and was wondering if a 4000mah 7.9V Lipo would give me good consistent launches? I'm only firing low and mid power rockets with Estis igniters.

Pre-thanks for any info.

It will do the job just fine, there are a number of people who use them for that purpose, they can source a lot of current.

Though I don't have experience with a Lipo powered launch controller, I've heard Lipo batteries in general are not keen on cold temps.

I built mine using two, 7.4v NiMh packs (only because I had them from a previous hobby) and have had not had issues with it not starting anything, including composite motors.

I was out of the hobby a couple years and now see the Copperheads are finally obsolete. Yaaaay!

The cold weather really affects the smaller LIPO batteries. Our kids are in TARC and use a small hobby battery throughout the winter without any problems. It's certainly much easier to lug around than a car battery. We also make a small battery carrier that's inexpensive and works perfect for this use. https://www.dinochutes.com/12-volt-battery-carrier-batcar.htm

I use a 5000mAh 20C 7.4V lipo for my launch controller. I've not yet found an igniter that won't pop with that battery. I have it set up so that when I finally get around to lighting a massive AP cluster, I can use two batteries, making it a 15V battery capable of dumping 100 amps all at once.

Last edited:
think you mean 20c not 20s(though 74v would certainly be interesting :)).
Rex

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go. Worst case I just go back to lugging around the car battery

Back