Flying in a 7 MPH breeze? Safe/unsafe? Techniques?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not your fault...it's the misnaming of the Estes A8 at fault here and the overall advice would be generally good. You just chose the wrong example. :)

Indeed. And a learning opportunity that rather than just go by the Engine "named" average thrust, which often is not as accurate as it should be, to check out the actual thrust curves.

Back to recovery issues, as mentioned, changing to a streamer is a good option a lot of the time. But of course it is a greater risk of damage on landing, some models are strong enough, others more fragile. Reefing chutes is an in-between option, as is switching to a smaller chute.

- George Gassaway

Indeed. And a learning opportunity that rather than just go by the Engine "named" average thrust, which often is not as accurate as it should be, to check out the actual thrust curves.

Back to recovery issues, as mentioned, changing to a streamer is a good option a lot of the time. But of course it is a greater risk of damage on landing, some models are strong enough, others more fragile. Reefing chutes is an in-between option, as is switching to a smaller chute.

- George Gassaway

I agree with George:
As others have said "Flying the Field" is a most important skill to develope. Using a "Test" rocket to get a feel for the winds aloft is a very good practice. When I fly on a new field I use a small 13mm model with a 1" wide Plastic streamer and an A3-4 motor. This will accurately let you know immediately what the upper winds are like on that day and that area.
If flying from a small field like a ball field or playground. NEVER use the largest motor suggested with the kit. It will almost always loss your rocket on the first. flight.
instead use the small motors A and B thrust motor will suprise you in most any Estes or Quest type kit. If using RTF models always start with B motors.

I'm a big fan of changing to a smaller chute then whatever size is supplied with kits. I carry a quart size zip-lock baggie with pre-made plastic, Dry cleaner bag, and mylar chutes in sizes from 3" to 30". It's the smaller sizes that are the most important, 4" to say 10" all with a snap-swivel so switching between models is a breeze.
In another baggie are various size streamers. in 1, 1-1/2", 2, 3 and 4" wide Surveyers tape, Caution tape, Crepe paper and Gift Wrapping Mylar. lots of lengths from about 10" to 120" (10 to 1 width to length ratio is ONLY a starting point) Longer lengths are just fine. I often use 1" x 30" streamers on small 13mm models on very small fields.
Biggest hint is to keep the impluse thrust low and recovery system small until you know exactly what your new model is going to do in flight and still recovey on the field.

Small, overpowered rockets do well in wind.

[video=youtube;5X_KgWGQ5z8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_KgWGQ5z8[/video]

Back