bolt simulation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
I have been trying a way to simulate bolts or fasteners on the surface of a sounding rocket
Attached is where i used the tip of a drill bit and drilled a counter sunk hole and took a 0-80 micro machine screw. After cutting the head off from the bolt body I inserted the head into the cavity with super glue. I may use a clear coat paint to finish the surface

what ya think ?

Bobby

bolt 2.jpg

bolt 1.jpg

Looks very cool, but seems extremely labor intensive. Though I'm one to talk, I quite often do things 'the hard way', but I enjoy it.

I'm going to keep an eye on where you're going with this...

it may take a while as there are 75-100 screw heads that need to be clipped off .
Not to mention the countersunk holes on the 6 inch airframe

Bobby

What about making little 'domes' from epoxy, then gluing them on the model? What I'm suggestion is to mix up some epoxy and then with a pin or small skewer, make a bunch of 'dots' on a piece of plastic (like a margarine container lid. make the 'dot's the size you want, let cure, and peel off. Better yet, you can even 'dab' the 'dots' onto the model. Mind you, they would look more like rivet heads that head bolts or slotted screws..

the attached payload will show the counter sunk flat head bolts that are flat head phillips. slotted and torex I am trying to reproduce the ones in red

payload.jpg

If you are interested in accurately depicting Flat, Pan or Round Head machine screws with whatever driver type you like for use in Scale or Sport Scale modeling then the use of actural minature fasteners is very possible and in many instances the best possible method. Flat decals just DO NOT imimic actual fasteners.

In some instances rivets can be simulated with straight pin heads, or CA deposited with "Dotter" applicators. Another method is to "Pounce" .005" calandered Lexan on the back side with one of many size punce wheels. Very time consuming but possible.

There are also a few speciality minature epoxy or resin cast fastener makers out their on the net that can help with these and other mini and micro fasteners for use on your scale models. Hex Head MS, Hex nuts, Hinge Spines, Shackles. etc. Sorry; I don't have links to these handy but a quick internet search will bring thesw hobby suppliers and manufacturers up.

Decals and sticker "fasteners and hardware" can be used but they have to have more then just a flat printed texture.

Back