TLP Nike Hercules

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Life kinda got in the way...:)

Looks like it will have to wait until this winter until I can get back to it.

Yeah, life has a way of doing that sometimes. I'll be looking forward to seeing it completed. Hopefully you can find the time again.

I'm tempted to buy it, but I know me, and it'll collect dust while I find some other project to distract me from it. I'm really bad about starting a project all hot and heavy, then quickly losing interest and procrastinating until it comes to a stand-still. I've got half-finished plastic models, R/C airplanes, and rockets all over my workshop at home :facepalm:.

Yeah, life has a way of doing that sometimes. I'll be looking forward to seeing it completed. Hopefully you can find the time again.

I'm tempted to buy it, but I know me, and it'll collect dust while I find some other project to distract me from it. I'm really bad about starting a project all hot and heavy, then quickly losing interest and procrastinating until it comes to a stand-still. I've got half-finished plastic models, R/C airplanes, and rockets all over my workshop at home :facepalm:.

I am the same way. I start a lot of things, but only finish a

One of my favorite rockets, although I'm not sure I have the patience to put this kit together. Keep it up though!

That's a really cool build! Subscribed to see it done.

There used to be a ring of Nike Missile Bases around the DFW Metroplex.....the one north of Denton, (my home town) was periodically abandoned, then owned by the local universities, and today no telling but it's still there. When I was in high school, we snuck in once, to the underground hanger and pads about a mile north of the base. We went all through the hanger, checked out the elevator system and big launch doors that used to lift the Herc's up to the pads. It had been stripped out of course, but the basic structure was still there: elevator track, lifting gear, big overhead doors, pads, launch control room, lots of wires and cables....and of course smelly water puddles, lots of drippy sounds and plenty of dangerous things stupid kids get hurt by.....we didn't get hurt or caught, so must have been a shade smarter than stupid.

Cool story! When I was a teenager and was hardcore into anything rockets, my grandmas best friend across the street dug out one special picture just for me. It was a Saturn V on its journey from the hangar to the launch pad. I believe her husband had taken the picture. Not sure how he got close to it but I remember that pic so clear and her story behind it. Ill mention he did not work for NASA. I remember the rocket so white, and the clouds behind it so dark.

Last edited:
That's a really cool build! Subscribed to see it done.

There used to be a ring of Nike Missile Bases around the DFW Metroplex.....the one north of Denton, (my home town) was periodically abandoned, then owned by the local universities, and today no telling but it's still there. When I was in high school, we snuck in once, to the underground hanger and pads about a mile north of the base. We went all through the hanger, checked out the elevator system and big launch doors that used to lift the Herc's up to the pads. It had been stripped out of course, but the basic structure was still there: elevator track, lifting gear, big overhead doors, pads, launch control room, lots of wires and cables....and of course smelly water puddles, lots of drippy sounds and plenty of dangerous things stupid kids get hurt by.....we didn't get hurt or caught, so must have been a shade smarter than stupid.

There is lots of info available in cyberspace on US Nike installations. Maybe you've seen this on Ed Thelen's site:

nike battery df-01 Denton TX.jpg

marwady, hope you get some time to finish this beautiful build.

No Sam, I've never seen that but thanks for the info....it's still there today, you can see it on Google Earth. It's much more deserted than when we explored it 35 years ago though, but the 3 overhead launch doors, raised pads and berm are still visible....so I can only assume the underground structure is still intact.

IMG_1321.jpg

There is lots of info available in cyberspace on US Nike installations. Maybe you've seen this on Ed Thelen's site:

View attachment 306786

marwady, hope you get some time to finish this beautiful build.

I keep walking by it in my workshop on my way to finish more of life's projects.

Who knows, maybe when winter sets in I will work on it however, it's at the point where I need to fill, sand and put a second coat of primer so I need some warm weather.

Thx for the encouragement. I will post when there is more progress.

Cheers!!

Latest posts

Back