TLP Nike Hercules

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marwady

Build twice, Launch once
Reaction score
Hello all,

After a long hiatus from model rocketry due to a move to Northern Michigan, I am "back in the saddle again" :)

I finally got my shop set up (actually, still working out the bugs) and decided to jump into the deep end with a TLP kit.

This is not really a build thread, rather some highlights and some different building techniques.

For instance, being a fin papering fan, I decided to paper the entire sheet of balsa before laying out and cutting fins and parts. I worked out really well.

I also decided, after thoroughly going over the plans, to build this all in sub sections and doing a final assembly, where possible. We'll see how this works out...:confused:

Here are some pix. I have a long way to go:

More to come.

Cheers!!

Cheers indeed ! Really nice set of pictures, thanks for posting them. Those paper shrouds are a very slick bit of work. :) :cheers: and :pop:

Continuing to fabricate more parts.

There is a fair amount of small detail parts that can be done ahead of time.

I decided to use 1/4" lugs as this is the longest rod I have.

PIX:

The "Herc" was one of the sexiest missiles ever ! Keep the pics coming. This is a timely thread since I just started my scratch "Herc". I don't think much will carry over between the two builds since mine is a 4x1 gap stage. That said, I'm sure you'll have some ideas I can steal. ---H

+1 on what Hornet said. Did a scratch built Herc a few years ago with a 29mm motor mount but I want to do another in 38mm next time.

More progress.

Got the booster tube flanges in place.

Quite the exercise in focus and patience...:shock:

Lugs are on and the transition is installed and CA painted.

More small detail parts cutout (those are steering fin guides).

After placing the stickers on the transition as cutout templates, I am not sure if I will just wait until the rocket is near the end of the build to do this...we'll see.

PIX:

Cheers!!

Moving along.

Now assembling the pre-made sections.

I am using a thin layer of 5 min. epoxy on the paper joints so if I sand through the paper, there is still some substance there to support filler. I learned this from experience on previous TLP kits...

This also gives me time for final alignment before the glue sets.

Actually starting to look like a rocket.

PIX:

Cheers!!

Very cool and nice job. I finished the Roachworks Nike Hercules kit and lost my nerve to launch it with the new formula Q2G2s. Starting four D12s all at once is way too scary if you don't trust your igniters, I mean starters. Maybe I should just do TLP with one composite motor, makes so much more sense than a silly BP cluster. No fear with TLP. So much fear with the cluster. I found four old Q2G2's and stuck them in the Roachworks, maybe that will do but I still have to mindsim the $160 kit a flaming blob of goo and accept it before I push the button.

Very cool and nice job. I finished the Roachworks Nike Hercules kit and lost my nerve to launch it with the new formula Q2G2s. Starting four D12s all at once is way too scary if you don't trust your igniters, I mean starters. Maybe I should just do TLP with one composite motor, makes so much more sense than a silly BP cluster. No fear with TLP. So much fear with the cluster. I found four old Q2G2's and stuck them in the Roachworks, maybe that will do but I still have to mindsim the $160 kit a flaming blob of goo and accept it before I push the button.

[Sorry for the short digression marwady, build looks great !] Daddy I've been looking for those new formula Q2G2s. Care to start a new thread with pictures and or descriptions/comparison to the old ones ? :)

That build will get expensive when I get around to doing it, as there are a few books about the Nike Hercules, and I always like to get my hands on any available books that have anything to do with anything I'm doing.
I can easily imagine spending the $80 on the kit, and then at least another $80 on some of the books about the real missile.

Amazon has a few for starters, and I have seen others mentioned by members here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/193768492X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Upper stage fins and main hinges on...Yikes :)

Quite challenging to get into my larger fin jig due to shape and position of fins and rudders but got it done and fins are nice and straight.

PIX:

[Sorry for the short digression marwady, build looks great !] Daddy I've been looking for those new formula Q2G2s. Care to start a new thread with pictures and or descriptions/comparison to the old ones ? :)

Interested in this also. With the availability issues with these, I wonder if ematches or cluster fire igniters (Boris style) might be a better choice for BP clusters.

Interested in this also. With the availability issues with these, I wonder if ematches or cluster fire igniters (Boris style) might be a better choice for BP clusters.

This TLP model is looking very good! I would like to see more, especially the final model. The nice thing about this version is the simplicity of launching. There is just one motor. I have converted the Roachwerks Nike Hercules to four D12's in the first stage and electronic ignition of a C11 in the second stage. The Roachwerks Nike Hercules is not readily available and I used 4 Q2G2's for the first stage, which can be hard to find. I have only launched this version twice. The first time failed to fire the second stage, but the whole model stayed together as one unit lowered by the first stage parachute with no damage. The second launch worked perfectly. There is a fair amount of prepping to launch and some nail biting at launch time.

On a side note several military solid propellant motors had long blast tubes that fed into a convergent-divergent nozzle. The second stage of the Nike Hercules was one of them.

My Pictures0017.jpg Nike Hercules writeup.jpg

All fins and details on. Now the fun begins, filling, sanding, and priming this beast...:caffeine:

Cheers!!

Very sexy! What ever happened with finishing this build? I'm really, really tempted to buy this kit.

Life kinda got in the way...:)

It is primed, sanded, and needs some more filling but I have just not been able to get to it.

Looks like it will have to wait until this winter until I can get back to it.
This kit was a lot of fun to build and there are lots of ways to mod it. If you have the time and skills, I would grab one and get after it!! :point:

Very sexy! What ever happened with finishing this build? I'm really, really tempted to buy this kit.

Back