CTI 54mm Closure Tool?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wighty44

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know that AeroTech has closure casing tools, and just recently someone started working on closure tools for the 75 & 98mm CTI casings, but is there a need for a CTI 54mm closure tool, or is hand-tight sufficient?

The closure has two holes that look like a spanner wrench would fit, but I'm not sure what size/dimension spanner would fit.

Any thoughts?

Hand tight is sufficient...the seal is radial and not compression from the closures. Hand tight is good.:)

-Eric-

I think the tool would be more useful for getting the closure off if it got jammed or oxidized.

There is definitely potential for a tool being helpful in removal, especially after a suboptimal flight. I used to have a bicycling pin spanner tool that looked like it would do the job, but I never needed to try.

Now, 75mm is another story. There is a clever way to build, at least using gen2 hardware, without the tool, but it is best and more simple to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have a bicycling pin spanner tool that looked like it would do the job, but I never needed to try.

I still have one of those Park Tool bicycle spanners(green vinyl coated grip). It actually does fit those holes on the closure.
I too have never needed it, but keep it in the box anyway. Every time I go to remove the closure after cool down, it's already loose.

I know that AeroTech has closure casing tools, and just recently someone started working on closure tools for the 75 & 98mm CTI casings, but is there a need for a CTI 54mm closure tool, or is hand-tight sufficient?

The closure has two holes that look like a spanner wrench would fit, but I'm not sure what size/dimension spanner would fit.

Any thoughts?

Cti has a tool for both 75 and 98mm already, had them for many years.

Back