Model Rockets In Movies and TV.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 1960's "Batman" series, the Batmobile had three angled rocket launcher tubes. I do remember an episode where "something" was fired out of one of those tubes. IIRC, I heard years ago that it used some sort of rocket powered by a Mini-Max motor.

I think you're recalling the "Piranha" spy car from The Man From Uncle.

Paddington has a brief scene of father and son "filling" a rocket with "more nitroglycerin."

Ok... Music Videos are in... As are Ads.

So, that means that the Mountain Dew commercial and that car commercial are fair game.

Excuse me? Did you even search? Pump up the Volume was a Christian Slater movie, not no dayamed music video.

I think you're recalling the "Piranha" spy car from The Man From Uncle.

Well, I watched both, so could be. However the Batmobile was indeed supposed to have rocket launch tubes.

https://www.1966batmobile.com/spec.htm

ORIGINAL REQUIREMENTS FROM THE 1965 CONTRACT

Owner shall either provide and install or provide for the installation of the following items:

5. Anti-theft System- Flashing Red Lights- Piercing Whistle- Little rockets built into tubes at the back of the cockpit that fire straight up with a fiery whoosh.

Can’t be sure if they did use them in an episode, but by contract it was supposed to have the capability to fire rockets upwards. Contract says straight up, car's tubes were angled, contract writers not necessarily great fantasy car designers….. :)

Ok, this has slid to include model rockets as props in movies...

James Bond's Lotus had missiles that fired upwards, and at least a couple of them had missiles that fired forwards.

Then there's the episode of Sons of Guns where they built a prop bazooka for reenactors of WWII battles to use against tanks. Will Hayden took at least one direct shot into the chest (while wearing padding) of one the simulated rounds.

by definition everything onstage (excluding actors) is a prop. lets limit this to model rockets AS model rockets.
Rex

by definition everything onstage (excluding actors) is a prop. lets limit this to model rockets AS model rockets.
Rex

Agreed. Unless Adam West was on screen building a model rocket to fly at the park with Robin in between capers, I don't think the Batman example counts to the original intent of the thread. Stay focused people! :)

"Model rockets" figure into at least two episodes of the 1970s show, "Emergency. " I put "model rockets" in quotes because, if I recall correctly, in both cases the propellant wasn't a model rocket motor.

One of the cases is interesting and amusing. Squad 51 arrives to find a boy and his grandfather waiting. The grandfather is slightly injured with small, shrapnel-like wounds. Nearby is a Saturn V looking rocket on a typical model rocket launch pad. The rocket has exploded.

The boy and his grandfather had been experimenting with a new "liquid fuel." The firemen tend to grandpa's arm and explain that it is legal for the pair to experiment with the rockets, but they need to take safety precautions like being further away at the launch. The grandfather says something about "using less zinc sulfate next time."

-- Roger

There's a British soap opera called "Emmerdale" which has been running for ages. In 1997 there was a story involving a rocket - one of the characters intended to launch a rocket powered by methane produced from pig waste. The full size rocket never flew. But the prototype was a modified Estes Optima or Shadow (not sure which), and that did fly.

[video=youtube;A2pzCX5gSJY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2pzCX5gSJY[/video]

The rocket action starts at about 3:30.

The rocket flew again at International Rocket Weekend 1998, so I got to see it in person:
01_00050.JPG

I may be wrong, but this season (the last season) of Mythbusters, I think they are going to launch a rocket powered by pooh.

Found via the Simpsons search engine, https://www.frinkiac.com/

537569.jpg

Are "reality" shows supposed to be included in this?

If yes, there's dozens of Mythbusters, a few Top Gears, a lot of lame wanna-bee's/fakers, and so forth that listing every episode would veer this thread way off from what was implied at the start.

- George Gassaway

Season 5 Ep 5 of "The Trailer Park Boys". The boys steal a rocket from a local store. It looks like an Aerotech Sumo. They fly it right in the middle of the trailer park. Awesome episode. I'm not embedding a video clip of it because I would get a time out. If you go looking for that one, beware that it contains "coarse language". Funny though.

Finally found a picture from Serenity with River Tam and the model rocket....

713999serenity733.jpg

Rockets in this movi, The Rocket, are not really model rockets, but they're certainly scratch built. It's a little slow to get going, and has a couple of heavy moments, but the rocket scenes (nearer to the end) are kinda interesting.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2178256/

An episode of Wonder Woman from the 1970s featured an Estes Maxi-Brute Pershing as a "thought-controlled missile". IIRC, the model was painted blaze orange.

There was an obscure movie made for Civil Air Patrol featuring the cast of Room 222 and a Saturn V model rocket.

I watched Jurassic World again while flying home over the weekend. The scene at the beginning in the younger boy's room showed a bunch of related items - display models of the Space Shuttle, Apollo CSM, and such. I couldn't really pick out if he had any flying model rockets in there as well though.

How about model rockets used as 'real' rockets? The abominable movie 'Meteor' comes to mind. IIRC Bill Stine was responsible for the models there.

Ok, 'model rockets as model rockets' so doesn't count. Very sick, and missed that on skim thru the thread.

Last edited:
Drake and Josh had a model rocket episode also the show psych had a episode with a flashback to his childhood where he was launching model rockets

Last edited:
I was watching the movie "Boyhood" with my girlfriend, and gasped. She said, "what is it?"

I said "That kid has an Estes Patriot rocket on his dresser."

I guarantee nobody else in that theater even noticed it.

There are also two model rocket launches in a German movie called "Goodbye, Lenin" (shown to my by my girlfriend - she's from Germany). At the beginning, the main character is a kid, and launches rockets. In the end, there's a launch of the same rocket, with emotional consequences (I won't spoil it for you). As the movie was starting, I said, "This movie is freaking awesome!"

Turned out not to be entirely about rockets, though...

Last edited:
Junkyard Wars: Season 5 Episode 4 (Power Raft) Team "Rocket Men" launch rockets during their into to the scrapheap.

How about on Boothes bureau behind his desk in later seasons of Bones? Not sure what the rocket is.

Back