What Was Your First Digital Camera?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
​
The tubes are becoming hard to find.

27544020884fd4a0df411d8afe8981cf.jpg

Well, I asked what this was and then did a search for steampunk camera and found this: Concept camera designed by Michael Grote for a forum competition. The theme was steampunk. Image created using 3DS Max 2009 and Photoshop CS.

More of Michael Grote's 3D artwork can be found at his website www.mgrote.com

It's only a dream...

It's a cool image but I always chuckle a little at steampunk.

"Well it's like a regular camera of the time, but they didn't want to put a case on it because of reasons. Also your customers are going to want those lens elements exposed to the air, light, and easy to bump out of alignment, so definitely don't contain them."

Mine was a little 2.0 MP Sony that I got for my 40th birthday in 2002. Greatest birthday gift ever, especially since I had no idea that was what my wife had picked out. I think it had a 128mb disc that came with the camera and was good for maybe 10 shots unless you really shrunk the size of the photo down. I bought a 2gb disc on a whim while at a WalMart on a photo trip. I stopped in for film and noticed the disc in the display case and bought it on impulse. I still have most of the film that I bought that day. I never used it once I realized you could get bigger discs on the cheap.

My first was called a 3D scanner (can't recall the make. the term "digital camera" hadn't been coined yet)... It was a whopping .64MP. Called a 3D scanner because it was felt photographers wouldn't be interested or impressed and "geeks" weren't that much interested in photography... ....but a 3D scanner? Oh hell yes!

Sometime in the early 90's I bought a Kodak DC40 for about $700. It was one of the first digital cameras for consumers. I'm a real estate appraiser and was shooting about 50 photos each day. Being able to print out reports from the laser printer and not pay for developing saved me thousands of dollars each year at that time.

I bought a 640x480 resolution camera in the mid 1990s. Don't remember the brand though.

One of the commercial mortgage brokers that I use was still using a camera with a built in 3.5" floppy drive for annual inspections up until about 3 or 4 years ago...

Chris

Logitech had their Pixtura brand which was the same as the Kodak DC40. The Sony Mavica took 3.5" floppies and was also really popular with appraisers. Some guys still use them, but I can't imagine being pleased with 640x480 resolution with the photos or the inability to enlarge them and still have decent resolution.

Not to mention how failure prone floppy disks are... Wrong temperature or environment and they become corrupted.

Back