What Was Your First Digital Camera?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkadams001

Reaction score
What was your first digital camera? Mine was a Nikon Coolpix 950. It took great photos for 2MP and I still have it tucked away somewhere.

product_01.png

Was a Sony. Bought in 2001 before we moved to Italy. I think I have it somewhere.

Mike

Mine was a Sony something or other that used the small floppy discs (which aren't floppy :confused2: ) for the media storage. It was like holding a bag phone in front of your face...

Adrian

Kodak DCS200, 1.2MP in 1993. MSRP was $8945, I (we) got for about $5K on closeout. I still have it. Make offer.
DCS-2001993.jpg

The Kodak EasyShare CX6330 (3.1 MP) Picked it up refurbished in 2003 for around $100

I loved this little camera - still do.

3.1mp = 8x10 prints

... and it has a >>>>>>>>>>> VIEWFINDER<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< :shock:

cx6330.jpg

Olympus D-450, got it for Christmas 1999.

ZFRONT.JPG

I had previosuly used a nice Minolta 35mm SLR camera with a BIG zoom lens. Thing is though it was so big and heavy that I did not wear it. Did several big rocket events in 1998 where I did not take a single photo... every time I thought about taking a pic, the camera was in the car or in a tent or otherwise not close enough to be worth going to get it.

So part of my criteria for a digital camera was one I could carry on my belt. The D-450 fit that bill well. Could not take photos as good as the 35mm SLR, but it was handy to take all sorts of pics that were good enough, other than liftoff shots. I am using a Canon S5-1S now, almost like a digital SLR, and carry it in a case on my belt. I wish I still had the D-450 , to have in my car for random photos of opportunity, but it was stolen in 2008 (Now I have an iPod Touch, which is even more handy on the road and while shopping than the D-450 would be).

Last edited:
Kodak Easyshare C613. Still use it to take pics to post in this forum. Since, though, I have bought a Canon Powershot SX10IS that I never seem to use.

Fuji MX1200 (1999) for me and my wife had a Sony Digital Mavica (I think Gen 1)...coolest thing was that it took floppy 3.5" floppy disks! :grin:

Yeah, I think that's what I have... Somewhere around here...

Adrian

We used both a LOT (when we first had them), actually still have both and both still work! LOL

Nikon D200 in 2006. I had a hard time giving up on my film Nikons!

We used both a LOT (when we first had them), actually still have both and both still work! LOL

My ex father in law had one so that's why we got it. Funny part is I have a buttload of floppys full of pictures, but no computer I own can read a floppy now... :facepalm:

Adrian

My ex father in law had one so that's why we got it. Funny part is I have a buttload of floppys full of pictures, but no computer I own can read a floppy now... :facepalm:

Adrian

Just ask your friends or family...I'm sure someone has an old computer or a laptop hanging around that still works and wouldn't mind copying them off for you. Plus some places offer digital transfer services. Sam's club advertised it last year and I think they mentioned floppies.

I have Kodak Mavica, floppy disc camera, from ~1998... still have it, still works... I still have floppies for it... but no PCs to read the floppies.

Kodak Mavica.jpg

Mine was a Canon Pro90. It had a 300mm equivalent image stabilized lens. Perfect for rocketry, right? Unfortunately the shutter lag was pretty bad and it could only take a few pictures before the buffer was full. It also had a flip out and twist lcd screen.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1454509952.726940.jpg

My first - at least the first one that took (almost) reasonable photos - was the Kodak DC40. 512 X 768 resolution and 4M of memory!

I still have it in a box somewhere.

-- Roger

Our first digital cam was a Fujifilm A203, 2mp. Used it for years until we upgraded to a Sony SteadyShot S2000, 10.1mp. We now have a Canon ELPH 350HS but I still have the Sony which I pack with me on hunting/fishing trips.

Kodak DC-20. But the first ones I actually used were the Olympus D460 (same one as in George's post #9 above) and a small Aiptek 1.3 MP camera that I used for aerial imaging mounted on the side of 3 channel electric-powered airplane beginning back in 2003. I still occasionally use that Olympus as it has really good glass and takes great build pictures and such.

Learned to snap photos with an Argus C3. Dad showed me how.

Still have my first "serious" camera...a Pentax in all black, numerous lenses and attachments...back in 1972

Have a Minolta "Talker", a pair of early Kodak Easy Shares, a couple of Canons, and most recently a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70.

The Canon 940 was my favorite but The Princess borrowed it last spring and I'm thinking she broke it or lost it...

Never loan anything to your kids.

Mine was a Panasonic Lumix 3MP purchased at a PX/AAFEES Trailer at BIAP, Baghdad International Airport, in December of 2003.
It was like $230 or something crazy like that.

Mine was a Canon G3. I still have it.
g3.jpg

I'm still a fan of the PowerShot G series.
We had a G10 and I still have a G11 I use often.

My 70D sees most action now though.
I was briefly tempted to make an offer on the DCS200. Very cool looking early DSLR.

Last edited:
I have Kodak Mavica, floppy disc camera, from ~1998... still have it, still works... I still have floppies for it... but no PCs to read the floppies.

View attachment 281357

HEY! We're in the same boat! With the same camera... Maybe we could use them as paddles... I'm sure mine would still work if I charged the battery. I still have the original box too. Hmm.... Maybe time to see if it has collector value on Ebay :facepalm: ONLY used twice by a little old divorced family, excellent condition RARE!!!!!! Buy it now for
only $250.00 !!!

Adrian :wink: :wink: :facepalm:

Back