76mm MD flight results query

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizWolf

Reaction score
Trying to sim out for a Mongoose 75, and getting results that seem, off using RockSim.

Just to put my mind in the right place, What have you guys seen in your own flights?

Thanks-

I have four flights on my 8.7 lb. Mongoose 75:
L995 to 15,216 ft.
L1115 to 18,773 ft.
L395 to 17,300 ft.
M840 to 28,905 ft.

The L395 was too slow out of the tower and laid over. Recovery was 3.5 miles downrange. All other flights were optimal.

L995 to 15,216 ft.
L1115 to 18,773 ft.
L395 to 17,300 ft.
M840 to 28,905 ft.

The L395 was too slow out of the tower and laid over. Recovery was 3.5 miles downrange. All other flights were optimal.

That's why I was asking about motors...good post!

29,973' on kba m1450w and just over 22k on an m3100wt. Need a bigger waiver closer to home so I can play more often!

Eric

L995 to 15,216 ft.
L1115 to 18,773 ft.
L395 to 17,300 ft.
M840 to 28,905 ft.

Thanks.... either I'm blowing something in the sim or it's just not handling it right.... off by nearly 8 grand. (even when I readjust to 140 oz I still get 21500)

Did you release the parking brake :wink:

Adrian

AH HA! thats the issue... :p

I've never really thought about a flight like this, at all. Kinda bought it on an impulse and am trying to play catch up mentally.

Nose cone is 3.14". Body tubes are 3.0"
You might have the CG more forward than a loaded rocket and wind in your sim is weather cocking the rocket.

Dave,,
Ask Coleman to chime in on this...
As velocity increases past mach
Rocksim over estimates the increase in cd.....
The higher the velocity the further off Rocksim will be.....

Teddy

Nothing wrong with the files, 18K seems just about right. I don't have loki motors loaded, but I loaded a CTI- M-1670 and simulated to 17K. Looks like it is going to go that high.

Plot Cd vs. Mach in Rocksim. The drag jump at Mach 1 is likely too extreme and lowering your flight dramatically. This make Rocksim nearly useless for any simulations that are transonic and supersonic. I stopped using it and now rely on RASAero or OpenRocket. Here is an example from my Blackhawk38 showing the huge difference in Cd

cd.JPG

As others have stated, I don't trust Rocksim for high performance flights....well I don't really trust it at all, but that's a different story.

If you're looking for more altitude out of a Mongoose "easy", shorten the overall length and decrease the root (not span) of the fins.

-Eric-

If you're looking for more altitude out of a Mongoose "easy", shorten the overall length and decrease the root (not span) of the fins.

-Eric-
That's exactly what I'm doing with mine - leaving out the payload bay and just flying the booster section/nosecone. Easy. OR sims it to around 36K on one of my 7600 loads - as always, seems a little generous...I'd be happy if I get over 30K...

That Wildman Falcon references the M2245 numerous times; I have to wonder what it would hit.

Not really looking to optimize it, just know where it's gonna go

Hey Dave, I noticed the rocksim files for the Mongoose 75 That I came across were for the earlier Proline version which used a 54" booster & 25" payoad. The RW version has a 48" booster & 24" payload. I had to make the adjustments on the file which I am also trying to build using Open Rocket. I have the CF Mongoose 75. Is yours CF or fibreglass? When you start to address motor retention let me know. I have one of those placing the retention bulkhead for largest motor possible vs leaving enough room for recovery harness & drogue questions.

Hey Dave, I noticed the rocksim files for the Mongoose 75 That I came across were for the earlier Proline version which used a 54" booster & 25" payoad. The RW version has a 48" booster & 24" payload. I had to make the adjustments on the file which I am also trying to build using Open Rocket. I have the CF Mongoose 75. Is yours CF or fibreglass? When you start to address motor retention let me know. I have one of those placing the retention bulkhead for largest motor possible vs leaving enough room for recovery harness & drogue questions.

Mine is (or will be when it gets here) FG. I drew it up from scratch, using weights from RW's pages.
View attachment mongoose 75FG.rkt

I've talked to many people, and the retention plan is:
Blue-Painters-Tape-2.jpg

maybe some Al tape on the rear.

Back