Here's a true challenge, try building a flying model of *this*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacTech

Reaction score
A5154814-BF57-496B-9909-4E05E751F9C0_zpsjzgx8nhw.jpg

A88241B9-9C55-416A-9B6A-E93F7667D86E_zpsrbkmmgcd.jpg

I found this old 1930/1940 Buck Rodgers Battlecruiser string-rider toy buried in our lawn when I was out metal detecting with my Fisher Coinstrike detector, our house is a 230+ year old New England colonial, and we have 50 acres of land, mostly hayfields, perfect for my launches...

wonder how hard it'd be to upscale this tiny string-rider into a functional rocket...

....off to OpenRocket!

Easy. Paint with enamel and then bury it in your yard for 75 years. Comes out perfect!

s6

Meanwhile... an 80 year old man remembers losing his Buck Rogers toy as a child.

You'll need a couple more fins at least. Im interested to see what you come up with.

Really not the difficult. Heres one the pretty close that was actually an Old ESTES kit back in the 70's. the Dragon Ship was the evil enemy spaceship of the Patrol Cruiser Excalibur.

Both models pictured below are BT-5 Micro-Maxx powered DownScales of the Estes originals. Building a model to mimic you toy wouldn't be all that difficult. I'd probably add a clear lexan fins on the sides to ensure stability but all the other features could be be modeled without much trouble. I particularly like the forward top mounted gun turret, Very KEWL Buck Rogers feature:)

MM 373a_MM T5 Patrol Cruiser Excalibur_04-17-11.JPG

MM 374_MM T5 Dragon Ship-7_04-17-11.jpg

MM 373b_MM Excalibur & DragonShip-7 Side-Rear_04-18-11.JPG

Give it to Daddyisabar... He'll get it to fly... He'll fly anything!

We Likes it! We Likes it!

(apologies to Mikey)

Give it to Daddyisabar... He'll get it to fly... He'll fly anything!

We Likes it! We Likes it!

(apologies to Mikey)

I don't know, no wings or canted motors up front, seems a little mundane for him:wink:

Well, your simulator must be wrong. We all know that Buck Rogers was based on real rocket science, and it must have worked--otherwise, how could they have filmed the movie? Never once did I see Buck's ship launch into a spiral spin in any of the old serials.

Nice find. Apparently made by Tootsie Toy in the '30s. I found a picture of a cleaner one on an auction site:

34164086_1_l.jpg

Would be cool to model one and see it fly...

Last edited:
You could also try the "Venus Duo-Destroyer." It has 4 fins on the tail, at least:

34164010_1_l.jpg

"Tootsie Toy"? could you play them like an ocarina?

I don't know, no wings or canted motors up front, seems a little mundane for him:wink:

This is an easy peasy standard rocket with decent fins and the motor in back. The turret up front will give the RSO a little SCARE. There was a guy who flew a similar one at NARAM in Pueblo a few years back. I saw him outside the hotel the night before painting it silver, it did not have the turret. I don't think it flew too well. The amount of no good, stinking, performance robbing nose weight and the power to lift it would be just sickening to a non-crazy, non-mindsimmer.

Back