Shipping mid & high power motors in Canada

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabernut

Reaction score
Since I have two MPR and am currently building an MPR/HPR rocket, I'm planning out my motor purchases for spring. After spending some time window-shopping online I find that I can get a G125 for $25 + ~$14 shipping. I'm not seeing anything about HAZMAT like you see all over the US sites.
For the HP reloads, I'm only seeing that you have to have Certification to buy them, no extra shipping costs - still $14.

What's the deal with shipping MPR & HPR motors in Canada? What restrictions are there, I can't seem to find any clear details on the subject.

For example, on the site I loaded my cart with three motors, a G125T, H128W, and an I218R(I wish :rolleyes:) and the shipping via courier is only $13.94 :eyepop:

Just buy from a Canadian dealer, no issues. Try Sunward

I was just browsing through the CTI reload section on their site. I actually live about 30 min away from them, can't beat free pick-up!

I was just browsing through the CTI reload section on their site. I actually live about 30 min away from them, can't beat free pick-up!

Dang, I thought I was lucky to have the Wildman as an onsite vendor!

Factory direct?! Geeze....

Far, far cheaper to have them ship it. By the time you actor in gas, wear and tear on your car, an hour to go there and drive back, etc., it will cost you a lot more to go pick it up. Of course, if you get to see some cool stuff then it would be worth it.

Far, far cheaper to have them ship it. By the time you actor in gas, wear and tear on your car, an hour to go there and drive back, etc., it will cost you a lot more to go pick it up. Of course, if you get to see some cool stuff then it would be worth it.
You're right... Since I drive a truck w/ a 5.3L V8, gas alone is $$$ in Canada.

The CTI Factory... I wonder if they'll give me a tour :rolleyes: Free samples? I once got a few free candy bars off the line from a candy bar factory, you never know.
Seriously though since they do defense research - not getting in unless they ask you and not without a background check at least - I would imagine.

+2 For Sunward Hobbies. Angelo is a great guy, I've always been happy ordering from him.

You're right... Since I drive a truck w/ a 5.3L V8, gas alone is $$$ in Canada.

The CTI Factory... I wonder if they'll give me a tour :rolleyes: Free samples? I once got a few free candy bars off the line from a candy bar factory, you never know.
Seriously though since they do defense research - not getting in unless they ask you and not without a background check at least - I would imagine.

A tour would be really cool! :headbang:

....For example, on the site I loaded my cart with three motors, a G125T, H128W, and an I218R(I wish :rolleyes:) and the shipping via courier is only $13.94 :eyepop:
some US sites will not calculate the shipping for Canada correctly as they can't ship here.

If you need any motors u to G, you don't certification but do need membership in clubs.

The sale ends today so a good time to order.

You can contact me off list ( email at [email protected] or 416-953-1847 ) for motors.

CTI does not have pickup, but I do. There are no tours at CTI.

Thanks to all for recommendations!

some US sites will not calculate the shipping for Canada correctly as they can't ship here.

If you need any motors u to G, you don't certification but do need membership in clubs.

The sale ends today so a good time to order.

You can contact me off list ( email at [email protected] or 416-953-1847 ) for motors.

CTI does not have pickup, but I do. There are no tours at CTI.

Thanks to all for recommendations!

Angelo,

The retail shop of Sunward is closed, so if I wanted to pickup some motors direct from Sunward, where would I go to?

Angelo, why would I need a club membership in order to get motors from you?
high power motors as requested by CTI. Regulations also require I know my clients. So unless you are experienced, you should join a local or national club. The clubs also provide insurance.

Angelo,

The retail shop of Sunward is closed, so if I wanted to pickup some motors direct from Sunward, where would I go to?
contact me and I will arrange an appointment.

Angelo,

interesting.. I did not know that. Maybe QC & Ont rules differ? My local supplier (Udisco) doesn't ask me for my credentials or club affiliation when I buy my motors (up to & including 'G'). They need that for higher impulse though.. Unless this is a recent thing (like, the last year or two)..

Angelo,

interesting.. I did not know that. Maybe QC & Ont rules differ? My local supplier (Udisco) doesn't ask me for my credentials or club affiliation when I buy my motors (up to & including 'G'). They need that for higher impulse though.. Unless this is a recent thing (like, the last year or two)..
just something that was suggested. If you are buying a G motor, then you should have some experience.

G motors and under are completely exempt from any licensing restrictions in Canada. However, age limit is set for purchasing at 18 as per federal government regs.

Since I have two MPR and am currently building an MPR/HPR rocket, I'm planning out my motor purchases for spring. After spending some time window-shopping online I find that I can get a G125 for $25 + ~$14 shipping. I'm not seeing anything about HAZMAT like you see all over the US sites.
For the HP reloads, I'm only seeing that you have to have Certification to buy them, no extra shipping costs - still $14.

What's the deal with shipping MPR & HPR motors in Canada? What restrictions are there, I can't seem to find any clear details on the subject.

For example, on the site I loaded my cart with three motors, a G125T, H128W, and an I218R(I wish :rolleyes:) and the shipping via courier is only $13.94 :eyepop:

If you closely read NRcan ERD regs you'll see that HP motors actually are not requiring a license to purchase or possess in Canada - they do however require tracking of the sale similar to the purchase of black powder. However, each seller will, as a matter of principle, place further restrictions for sale to ensure proper use.

Back