NAR vs Tripoli; which and when should I join?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are not involved with any local clubs, and you must choose one over the other, then consider what aspects of your hobby give you the most pleasure.

Some people get the most enjoyment from the "build". If you enjoy creating your own designs, or builds that showcase detail and precision (e.g. scale), or if the idea of alternate recovery systems (e.g. "helicopter", or gliders), and the idea of the flight is to validate your design, then I recommend the NAR

If what blows your skirt up is the smoke, and the roar of the motor, and the altitude, and as far as you are concerned, the rocket itself is merely the vehicle to experience the power of the motor, then go with Tripoli.

IMO the real difference as a hobbyist between NAR and Tripoli is Competition or EX, otherwise both offer the ability to fly LPR, MPR, and HPR.

If you are not involved with any local clubs, and you must choose one over the other, then consider what aspects of your hobby give you the most pleasure.

Some people get the most enjoyment from the "build". If you enjoy creating your own designs, or builds that showcase detail and precision (e.g. scale), or if the idea of alternate recovery systems (e.g. "helicopter", or gliders), and the idea of the flight is to validate your design, then I recommend the NAR

If what blows your skirt up is the smoke, and the roar of the motor, and the altitude, and as far as you are concerned, the rocket itself is merely the vehicle to experience the power of the motor, then go with Tripoli.

This is just about the most flawed post in this thread.

I never realized the club one's a member in dictates what aspects of the hobby one enjoys. I've been in the wrong club the whole time!

Don't read too much into it. It's really not that much of "a thing".

It's just that in my experience, it seems like compared to each other many of NAR folks/clubs I've been around have been more of the clean-cut/nice-guy/by-the-books/upstanding-citizen types, while many of the TRA folks/clubs have been outlaw/cowboy/rough-and-tumble/play-hard-&-fast types.

Or you could look at it this way: NAR is more Tim VanMilligan/Apogee, and TRA is more Tim Lehr/Wildman.

But really, it's NOT something to be all that concerned with, or to put much focus on. It was more of a joke really.

s6

LOL. Right now I can see Tim saying "Hey, I can be a badass too..."

Edit to add: Join the one that will get you out flying more often. They're both great - I joined TRA because I eventually want to get into EX.

Last edited:
This is just about the most flawed post in this thread.

I never realized the club one's a member in dictates what aspects of the hobby one enjoys. I've been in the wrong club the whole time!

You have my point reversed. I advised the guy to examine his individual preferences - what aspects of his hobby HE enjoyed. Then, assuming he desired to join only one organization, join the organization that had the "best fit" for what HE enjoys.

I belong to both organizations and have been so for many years (refer to my membership numbers in my signature). There are aspects of both that are similar and some that are different. Again, if the premise is to only choose one, then choose the one that best supports what YOU like to do. For example, if one has an affinity for motor formulations, and has an interest in EX, which one of the organizations best supports his desires? It is not so unlike the way one would choose a cell phone.

I endeavored to give the fellow a very simple way to examine his "focus", and per the premise of choosing only one, give him a simple rule for making that decision.

[video=youtube;mUPeO0MbBgc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUPeO0MbBgc[/video]

to the OP: whatever you do just don't join the Judean Peoples Front ! :surprised: :wink: :pop:

[video=youtube;iS-0Az7dgRY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS-0Az7dgRY[/video]

Bob, it is my belief that if a minor is not a member of NAR, then both the TRA and NAR insurance provide protection for the club from suits brought by the minor or a third party. However, it is not clear to me what the coverage is to the minor (liability or medical if injured). The TRA insurance information is silent on the subject, and I know the BOD is considering this, and the NAR information suggests that the minor does not have this coverage. Therefore, it is the (evolving) position of our club to require parent/guardian permission for any minor that is not a NAR member (when launching under either set of rules) or a TRA "named insured" (if launching under NAR rules). I'd be interested in your comments on this topic.

Jim

PS - I belong to both organizations so that I can do certifications for both. I don't really see much difference in the process for TRA or NAR for L1/L2 from my perspective as an L3/TAP.
I was speaking with respect to child's personal coverage at a NAR or TRA launch.

You are correct in either case, the section or prefect liability is covered in the event of an accident cause by a minor. This is specified in the NAR and TRA insurance pages on their respective websites.

NAR specifically states that minor child's activities are not covered by an adult members liability coverage, so the adult member is fully and personally liable for any damages or expense incurred by their minor child. As I read the TRA pages, the minor child is covered at least for liability, but as I understand it, neither the adult or the child is covered for their own loss of personal property or personal medical expenses.

Both websites state that personal property loss or personal medical expenses of an adult member due to a rocket of that adult member are excluded from coverage.

Bob

You have my point reversed. I advised the guy to examine his individual preferences - what aspects of his hobby HE enjoyed. Then, assuming he desired to join only one organization, join the organization that had the "best fit" for what HE enjoys.

I belong to both organizations and have been so for many years (refer to my membership numbers in my signature). There are aspects of both that are similar and some that are different. Again, if the premise is to only choose one, then choose the one that best supports what YOU like to do. For example, if one has an affinity for motor formulations, and has an interest in EX, which one of the organizations best supports his desires? It is not so unlike the way one would choose a cell phone.

I endeavored to give the fellow a very simple way to examine his "focus", and per the premise of choosing only one, give him a simple rule for making that decision.

I can understand organization-specific benefits such as research motors for Tripoli and B-engine boost glider duration contests for NAR. But the suggestion that "if you like building nice rockets join NAR, if you like big motors join Tripoli" is totally bogus.

Maybe I've just had the good fortune of belonging to some great clubs, but I've always found myself supported in my endeavors, A through L, soccer field to BALLS. Maybe your experience has been different.

This has been a fun thread, but the bottom line, summarizing the various opinions, is:

Join the one closest to you!

• If you are really into competition and scale modeling, NAR may be a little more to your liking.
  • If you are interested in experimental motors, then TRA is a must.
  • If you have the money and want to support the hobby in the grandest way, join both.

I am a NAR member but fly a lot at a Tripoli club now that my local NAR club doesn't have a HPR field (hopefully that changes).

Besides what has been mentioned, NAR has a lot more focus on LPR than Tripoli. The NAR magazine has a mix of articles for both LPR thru HPR. Tripoli's official focus in HPR and Experimental. So if you still plan to do a lot of LPR, and only want to join one, I would recommend NAR over TRA. If you plan to transition to HPR only, then I might barely suggest TRA over NAR (51%/49%). But definitely, I suggest joining one and think that local club availability is the biggest factor.

As for the "White Hat/ Black Hat" malarkey, disregard. Thousands of great people in both and a couple of not so great in both (that's life). The most attention/compliments I got at any launch, was while launching an LPR at a TRA launch. At my two local clubs (NAR and TRA), the people are friendly rocket enthusiasts who appreciate/tolerate all safe forms of the hobby.

Last edited:
bill_s said:
As J motors aren't under the slightest consideration for me due to cost, I don't think that's a very good way to put it. And anyone considering a J has probably already been a member anyway.

I've enjoyed doing some low-end HPR (actually G skids are making it worthwhile) but don't know I would have ever joined without my main club forcing my hand. One membership is almost 20% of my rocketry budget, if I was even poorer I'd have a choice between joining and flying.
This. If I were flying a couple of HPR rockets once a month, plus some MPR and a handful of LPR? HECK YES $70 would be a small percentage of what I'm spending on rocketry. And when I see the guys with literally a couple grand in reload cases burn through a few hundred dollars in motors in a day? YES, absolutely, $70 is a drop in the bucket.

But for me? I just got into MPR, I think it's cool. I might spend $200 or $300 on the hobby this year, so joining both clubs would be a significant chunk on what I'm spending on flying.

That said, the liability insurance is probably the best argument I've seen in this thread.

Then I think NAR is your answer, unless you have a killer Tripoli prefecture and field close to home. While there are exceptions, NAR definitely has more low power precision modeling and contest emphasis, while Tripoli has a fairly clear high power slant.

Back