• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

New Scan of Estes Big Daddy (2162) Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a scan of the Big Daddy's instructions and fin templates. I'm specifically looking for the one that had the black paint job with the yellow and red decals. I could also use a scan of the yellow and red decals and/or dimensions (width of bands) for a new .ork file I'm cooking up.

Oh, and if you're any good at image manipulation, I could really use the "BIG DADDY" with the black outline (or it's font).

rp_est_big_daddy03.jpg

Image Credit: Jim Stuckman

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
Are the fins different from the current one?

If not, I can scan the fins from my new one. Or I can send you the "to exact scale" - "as built stock" RockSim file I made. The fins were calipered for exact size, prior to sanding.

Last edited:
And does this help?ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1455689132.959256.jpg

Or are you wanting the other decals?

And if you just want the text of the decal without the red and yellow striping, I can do that too.

Are the fins different from the current one?

If not, I can scan the fins from my new one. Or I can send you the "to exact scale" - "as built stock" RockSim file I made. The fins were calipered for exact size, prior to sanding.

And does this help?View attachment 282691

Or are you wanting the other decals?

And these appear to be the instructions to the version you put the image of:

https://www.logicrc.com/instructions/D-ES2162.pdf

And if you just want the text of the decal without the red and yellow striping, I can do that too.

Thanks for that Kruegon,

GuySmith actually managed to get me a copy of the fins, decals and plans before you did. I've been busy with lesson planning (and working on that Porta Pad II sim). Thanks Guy!

I just need to print out the images to scale things. However, that will be minimum of 10 hours from now (presuming I remember to hit the printer's). If you could measure the widths of the bands as they would appear applied to the rocket, that would be a big help.

Do please post the .rkt file. I'd like to see what numbers you were able to come up for the fins.

All The Best!
Jim

I'm on my phone right now. Internet went down about an hour ago. I'll get the rkt file ready and upload it as soon as I have internet again.

This one managed to slip my mind for a while... It's back on the forefront of my .ork files...

Decals created using the Kruegon's scan.

I notice that Kruegon's fins exactly match those that I have in my file. Still I'd feel more comfortable if I had a scan of the fins I could measure (I didn't measure the ones in my .ork, and I'd like to just verify them myself). Don't get me wrong Kruegon, it's a fine looking .rkt, but I just want to double check those fins.

If anyone could scan the fins w/a ruler (as a .png file at 600 Dpi (preferred)) I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Jim

That's mighty pretty, but isn't there a way to do it where you can also use the model for flight sim stuffs???
I saw the warnings about discontinuity in BD and Jagged stuffs.

I'll try make you a scan of my fins that are still in the balsa sheet.
They don't fit in the scanner, so I have to trim the ends down.

That's mighty pretty, but isn't there a way to do it where you can also use the model for flight sim stuffs???
I saw the warnings about discontinuity in BD and Jagged stuffs.

I'll try make you a scan of my fins that are still in the balsa sheet.
They don't fit in the scanner, so I have to trim the ends down.

Those warnings are tied to the Phantom Body Tube that is needed for the engine hook, and the engine hook itself. Since this rocket doesn't have asymetrical markings on the fins (requireing the use of "Air Fins"), all you'd need to do is delete the PBT and engine hook. Then you'd need to remember to add in the mass of the engine hook back into the sim for an accurate sim of the flight. I do have a request into the OR development team for a way that I could get the look of the engine hook, without all the annoying error messages.

Thanks for the offer for the fin scan. Looking forward to seeing it.

All The Best!
Jim

I hope this file works. My scanner is not the greatest:

BigDaddyfins.jpg

That's weird, it saved it to my pictures, and not as a PDF.
I freaking hate how computers make everything so damned complicated.
I'll try to get it sorted.:mad:

Thanks Top! Kruegon!

Once I can get those printed, I'll be able to verify the fins, and I'll upload the file. BTW... Can someone verify the thickness?

Thanks!
Jim

Unsanded calipers to 0.133 so I'd say that should be 0.125 or 1/8" thickness.

You're just lucky we have a 4 person family build pile. Lots of unfinished kits still waiting.

Scan fins... (add thicknesses)
Scan decals...

All With Ruler!

Old kits? Scan instructions (no ruler needed)

Thanks!

We're scanning it all as we built them and I'm inputting RockSim files as we go. At least where I can. My old version doesn't allow winglets or wing pods.

The Big Daddy file is up...

I cracked the problem I was having with the fins decals... I had to add length to account for the fin tabs.

My fins (using Kruegon's scan) was 1/16" different from his .rkt file. I printed the fins with the ruler, then cut the ruler out and used it to make my measurements.

Last edited:
Back