• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Audio Gear Available

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a tough one.

From what I've seen, if components are anything other than "current" (meaning no older than 2 to 4 years) or truly vintage/desirable, it's nearly impossible to get anything for them. In fact it's often hard to even give it away - honestly. There is so much on the market, and electronics are so cheap, the used value is practically nil. I've had some things that were really good quality, and in their time VERY much "the" thing to have, that I actually could not give away, let alone get a couple of bucks for.

Now, if you're talking about really high-end stuff that may be different. I don't know much about that, and for all I know there could be a healthy market for (though I couldn't help you as to "where"). My experience has been with pretty good/high quality, but not "boutique" or super audiophile.

Regardless, good luck with it,
s6

Depending on what you have to sell, Audiogon might be what you are looking for. Upper range would probably be a prerequisite.

Cheers,
Michael

Depending on what you have to sell, Audiogon might be what you are looking for. Upper range would probably be a prerequisite.

Cheers,
Michael
Okay Al-I'll log in for! this! Back in the day i was considered an 'audiophile' and poured tons 'o' money into my 'hobby'. Worst investment ever! I'm not trying to impress anybody but I had to have a separate insurance policy just on the gear-my agent came over to the house for some reason and nearly had apoplexy. Long story short-it's mostly doorstops now. Like Dave said, the bloom is off the rose. Most people these days have 'learned' to appreciate the low-fi wav files of posted music and the finer nuances of performances have been lost, A lot of the challenge back in the day was retrieving the most you could get off of vinyl. Super-zoomie turntables and exotic stylus constructs went the way of Dodo birds when digital took over. The sad fact is we age and the fine bones in your ears calcify. My Father-in-law claimed he couldn't tell the difference between a transistor radio and my 'wall of blinking lights'! There are still a few of us out there who treasure the 'old school' stuff and that's where E-bay comes in. Some guys want components to add to the 'wall' and some just want parts/pieces. Craigslist is generally worthless (in my opinion) because everybody wants a 'deal'. You may want to look for collectors in your area who have posted a want ad for such stuff, but beware you may be low-balled on really high end items. Stick to your guns and the price may come up a bit, but again,like Dave says, it's hard to recoup any investment. Back when I had a shop, the Orion Guide was like the Kelly Bluebook for used gear. I'e been out of it so long I don't even know if it available anymore. Part of me is dying to know what you have and the other, saner half, is saying 'Good luck, my friend-I've been there"! If I'd invested that money in a 401K-I'd be retired now!

Watcha sittin on Al?

I'm look'n at a rack full of vintage 70's Crown & Soundcraftsman being pumped through Electro-Voice studio monitors.
Worth close to 30 grand in the 70's, probably couldn't get 2,000 for it now.....BUT the sound...oh yeah!
The walnut racks to hold it all in, was 1500 dollars, held the most value today.LOL

Watcha sittin on Al?

I'm look'n at a rack full of vintage 70's Crown & Soundcraftsman being pumped through Electro-Voice studio monitors.
Worth close to 30 grand in the 70's, probably couldn't get 2,000 for it now.....BUT the sound...oh yeah!
The walnut racks to hold it all in, was 1500 dollars, held the most value today.LOL

Crowns just keep on doing their thing. Have one bridged for my bass amp...about 800 watts of joyous bass.

Actually what I have is probably not that desirable, I just dislike the idea of tossing it out as it's still in good shape.

• Two Adcom GFA535 power amps
  • An NAD Tuner/Preamp
  • An NAD Preamp
  • Two Magnepan SMGa dipole speakers

And the one I can't explain why I bought - A Sony 400 disc Blue-Ray optical disc jukebox.

As you guys said, probably not worth much more than landfill, however I figured I might try to see if someone had a soft spot (or head) for any of it.

Actually what I have is probably not that desirable, I just dislike the idea of tossing it out as it's still in good shape.

• Two Adcom GFA535 power amps
  • An NAD Tuner/Preamp
  • An NAD Preamp
  • Two Magnepan SMGa dipole speakers

And the one I can't explain why I bought - A Sony 400 disc Blue-Ray optical disc jukebox.

As you guys said, probably not worth much more than landfill, however I figured I might try to see if someone had a soft spot (or head) for any of it.

I would think that your equipment would draw some interest on Audiogon. Probably not for a lot of money, but enough that it would be worth it to keep them out of the landfill.I would also think you could get a few dollars more than eBay and you would know they were going to someone who would appreciate them. Condition is everything in this hobby!

Cheers,
Michael

I think we all might be sitting on some top-of-the-line back in the day, junk today stuff. I have two Nakamichi tape decks, 700 ZXE, and a Dragon. Only a collector would be interested in this stuff.:sad:

I kind of cringed when I saw this thread. Though I didn't buy top of the top of the line, I spent thousands upon thousands on my Yamaha components and Polk speakers. $1549 for -just- the receiver...

Now, none of it worth a dime resale, but it's still poundin 20+ years later!

Pay for quality...it will return in quantity.

This thread takes me down memory lane.Some fine names in audiophile equipment.

Back in the 70's I owned the "Audio Shop"...."your place for sound advice"....LOL
You know ...sound room, couches, dim light...blasting music. $$$$$$$$$
Before you could get stuff in big box stores. I carried...Crown..S.A.E. Phaselinear...Bose...Harmon-Carden Electro-Voice...RtR..JVC...BIC..Audio-Technica..among others.

Here's one of my famous bill board advertisements. It was a show stopper.
Got me all kinds of trouble with Goodyear.

100_3841.jpg

Last edited:
Man CJ,,
That's funny..
You sure have led a full and colorful life...
Good for you CJ...
That why I love to swap stories with ya...lol...

Al,,
I've been dealing with a man in a place called The Music Room..
I think it's in Colorado. ..
I found the guy to be reasonable.. And carry very clean merchandise. ..
I'll send you his name and number if you'd like. ...
If it helps I recently saw a GFA 545 go for about $300 on ebay...

Teddy

This thread takes me down memory lane.Some fine names in audiophile equipment.

Back in the 70's I owned the "Audio Shop"...."your place for sound advice"....LOL
You know ...sound room, couches, dim light...blasting music. $$$$$$$$$
Before you could get stuff in big box stores. I carried...Crown..S.A.E. Phaselinear...Bose...Harmon-Carden Electro-Voice...RtR..JVC...BIC..Audio-Technica..among others.

Here's one of my famous bill board advertisements. It was a show stopper.
Got me all kinds of trouble with Goodyear.

View attachment 281220
LOL! That's why I luv ya like a brother! FWIW-do you remember Hill Plasmatronics? You had to fill your speakers with helium for about an hours worth of listening.

I always wanted a Wilson Engineering WAMM speaker system. Thankfully I was never able to come close to affording one of those beasts.

I always wanted a pair of Klipschehorn or Klipsche La Scala speakers. You could feel the air hit you from twenty feet away from the bass.

I think it was a Velodine sub I heard a demo of that was intense! It shook, rattled and practically warped the ceiling tiles 20 feet up, but you couldn't hear...anything.

Gotta love that -ultra- low frequency!

I kind of cringed when I saw this thread. Though I didn't buy top of the top of the line, I spent thousands upon thousands on my Yamaha components and Polk speakers. $1549 for -just- the receiver...

Now, none of it worth a dime resale, but it's still poundin 20+ years later!

Pay for quality...it will return in quantity.

No regrets with Yamaha. My RX-750 from about 1990 is still thumpin'. I dread the day I ever have to replace it.

You might be surprised if you wait for the right buyer. A couple years ago, I got just a little more than I paid for my NAD 7155 back in college. Of course, I still had the original box, styrofoam, manual, etc. Though I probably can no longer hear the difference, I still love my old Klipsch speakers (1st anniversary gift from my wife of 25yrs)! Now I'm wondering if it makes sense to pay to have my Sunfire subwoofer repaired or to spend less and get something from big box.
-Ken

I think we all might be sitting on some top-of-the-line back in the day, junk today stuff. I have two Nakamichi tape decks, 700 ZXE, and a Dragon. Only a collector would be interested in this stuff.:sad:

A Dragon- wow! That was some serious stuff in the day.

I think it was a Velodine sub I heard a demo of that was intense! It shook, rattled and practically warped the ceiling tiles 20 feet up, but you couldn't hear...anything.

Gotta love that -ultra- low frequency!

You mean the brown note.

You might be surprised if you wait for the right buyer. A couple years ago, I got just a little more than I paid for my NAD 7155 back in college. Of course, I still had the original box, styrofoam, manual, etc. Though I probably can no longer hear the difference, I still love my old Klipsch speakers (1st anniversary gift from my wife of 25yrs)! Now I'm wondering if it makes sense to pay to have my Sunfire subwoofer repaired or to spend less and get something from big box.
-Ken

Klipsch is making some pretty decent subs these days.

What I would refer you too is a company called Hsu Research. They sell direct and make some excellent subs for proportionally reasonable money.

I have a pair of Heresy II's. They were a house warming present from my Dad when I bought my first apartment :) He's the audiophile in the family.

I have a pair of Heresy II's. They were a house warming present from my Dad when I bought my first apartment :) He's the audiophile in the family.

A great gift :) I shoulg have added I also have a pair of Warfdale's. They were the first speaker that got Mylar dome tweeters. Got them at an auction where I also got a Crown 880 reel-to-reel tape machine. Heavy,very heavy. 1/8th inch stainless steel face made to come out of the case and be rack installed with 10.5" reels. Many came out with 4 track but this one was just syereo. It's was sold when I got a Revox/Studer A77 that I still have. I rebuilt the Warfdale's, the tweeters destroyed by heat and so were the midranges and the First Order Butterworth Crossover had been "modified". Best thing about the speaker is the woofers, cloth surround instead of foam. The foam would be destroyed but the cloth surround is still going strong. Solid wood cabinet with a veneer instead of ply or MDF they are beautiful furniture :).

I got a pair of La Scala's and a pair of Heresy's. Two great pair :)

You lucky dude. I once went in the audio storeand got a demo of the La Scala's. Played the Eagles track, Victim of Love, and the air wave that came out of those folded horns when the bass hit was impressive. like I said earlier, you felt the air from 20' away. Of course, this was before subwoofers were the rage; I'd take the folded horns of the Klipsche speakers anyday before subwoofers.

A Dragon- wow! That was some serious stuff in the day.

Yeah, I picked it up back when I was participating in tape trees, trading cassette copies of Grateful Dead concerts. This was before shows were coming out on DAT and they started Digital trees. The Dragon allowed me to be a branch and receive the lower generation tapes and then I made copies for the leaves that signed up for the tree. Eventually, I gave my entire cassette tape collection away to a friend . . . over 1000 hours of Grateful Dead shows.

The Magnapans are definitely distinctive and should be sellable at a tempting price, but size makes probably Craigslist and patience among the best options. Of course, your best value is to keep using them ...

I couldn't afford the Dragon at the time - had to settle for the ZX-7 which had all the technology, just in a manual mode, less automatic.

Back