fin shape, ogive?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
idle thought/question, ogive shape works for nose cones...do you suppose that it might work for fins? thoughts comments.
Rex

ofin1.jpg

Sure, why not? Only problem I see is orientation of the grain to the leading edge; where to have the grain of the balsa intersect the leading edge which is in a constant arc.

Interesting thought. Maybe try a Von Karman while your at it?

I know a half conical has been done lol

I suspect that it won't gain you any performance, I believe that if there were any real aerodynamic advantage to the shape we would have seen it before on some sort of research vehicle. That being said, I don't see any reason not to use it. I would say the the wood grain should run from the root tip to the aft outer corner.

Define work.

If you mean can you make a stable rocket with this shape fin the answer is yes but at the cost of a lot of drag. If that doesn't matter to you then it works. It would not be an efficient design, however. The span to chord ratio is backwards.

It seems like the span to chord ratio would not be dictated by the shape - a .5:1 ogive would give a "square" fin. A shorter ogive would give you an even greater span to chord ratio.

Unless I'm way off? It is a possibility...

It does seem like a lot of the 1930s-1950s sci-fi rockets had an ogive-like profile.

Not sure if OP is talking about fin shape as in overall profile, or fin shape as in cross-section of leading edge(?).

Not sure if OP is talking about fin shape as in overall profile, or fin shape as in cross-section of leading edge(?).

I figure what he means was explained by his picture. The silhouette, or profile of half of a nosecone.

CJ, I still laugh about how you built the Space Cowboy for the Drag Race on the LDRS 30 vid. Classic! I've often wondered how that 'win' may have affected future sales..ya think?

Back