Where can I find a G80-7t?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketryBill

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to my club launch next week and need a G80-7t motor. If anyone knows where I can get one, (and the motor is still in stock) I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Bill

Last edited:
Yes, but those motors look pretty old so they may pose a safety risk or they might not work.

Last edited:
The Aerotech G80 is the exact same thing, just a different sticker. Aerotech made the composites for Estes.

The Aerotech G80 is the exact same thing, just a different sticker. Aerotech made the composites for Estes.

I see.

I understand that there is a ring on the G80-13T for motor retention, but does the diameter of the ring meausre 29mm to fit inside the MMT or does the ring stick out of the Motor tube? Also, assuming that all the motors have a 137 N-second thrust, what is the difference between the G80-7T, G80-10T, and the G80-13T?

Thanks

I see.

I understand that there is a ring on the G80-13T for motor retention, but does the diameter of the ring meausre 29mm to fit inside the MMT or does the ring stick out of the Motor tube? Also, assuming that all the motors have a 137 N-second thrust, what is the difference between the G80-7T, G80-10T, and the G80-13T?

Thanks

The G80-7T has a 7 second delay before deployment ejection. Thus the -10T will have a 10 second delay, and the -13T will be 13 seconds.

Adrian

So should I go with the recommended motor which has the 7 second delay for my rocket?

like this-
ARO78010-2.jpg

be aware- It ships hazmat.... which means the shipping cost + about a $28 fee per order. It's best to order many at once to reduce the hit.

There are other options like the loadable motor system from aerotech, or getting into reloadable cases if you're interested (these options do not require has mat shipping)

Last edited:
The retention ring is actually a thrust ring, at the nozzle end of the motor. It will fit a 29mm mount tube just fine. If you get a motor that doesn't have the ring, you can make one with multiple wraps of masking tape. For retention, you will need some type of clip, screw on retainer, or, you can friction fit with masking tape. If the kit manufacturer recommends a G80-7 for your particular kit, you should be fine as long as your rocket's weight is pretty close to the mfg's specified weight. And, as others have stated, the Aerotech G80-7T, is the same motor as the Estes G80-7T, just different stickers. Good luck with your flight!!

The retention ring will stick out of the motor tube

Just to clarify, the term is thrust ring. Retention implies a device to hold the motor in the rocket after burn, e.g., to hold the motor in the rocket when the ejection charge is fired.

I know - I hate the HazMat. I am waiting for buyrocketmotors.com to restock and buy there with coupons to reduce the HazMat.

The retention ring is actually a thrust ring, at the nozzle end of the motor. It will fit a 29mm mount tube just fine. If you get a motor that doesn't have the ring, you can make one with multiple wraps of masking tape. For retention, you will need some type of clip, screw on retainer, or, you can friction fit with masking tape. If the kit manufacturer recommends a G80-7 for your particular kit, you should be fine as long as your rocket's weight is pretty close to the mfg's specified weight. And, as others have stated, the Aerotech G80-7T, is the same motor as the Estes G80-7T, just different stickers. Good luck with your flight!!

I get it now, thanks!

P.S. I have a motor retention clip which holds the motor into place, and I made a small ring of tape around the tube to make a snug fit.

Just to clarify, the term is thrust ring. Retention implies a device to hold the motor in the rocket after burn, e.g., to hold the motor in the rocket when the ejection charge is fired.

I know, I just stuck with his wording so as not to confuse him.

Re Wildman: If you buy a 29/40-120 casing for $42, and 2 x G76-7 reloads for $11 each, total $64 (does not need hazmat), that's the same as 2 G80-7 reloads $ 18 + $28 hazmat. And you can fly other reloads with different propellants, for $11 each, going forward. Just a thought. I love my 29/40-120 casings and reloads for the flexibility!

If you are going to a club launch, you might want to find out if there will be a vendor onsite. You'll probably pay a few bucks more per motor than the best prices online, but there won't be any hazmat or shipping costs. It's usually a better deal if you don't want to buy a lot of motors in one order (I usually start to break even when I buy 10 or more online, and that's a lot of money in one shot).

Also, if your rocket calls specifically for a G80-7T, then there is a very good chance it will also fly great on other high-thrust single-use G motors. The 80 in the motor designation tells you that the average thrust is 80 newtons, and any motor close to that will likely work too. The T at the end is a code for the propellant in that motor --- Blue Thunder, which has blue flame, little smoke, loud sound, and is very fast. Aerotech makes other kinds of single-use G motors with different kinds of propellants, different thrust and different burn times. A G79-7W has white flame and white smoke. G78-7G has green flame. G77-7R has bright red flame. Depending on how heavy your rocket is, other lower-thrusting, longer-burning motors might work too, like the G40, with white flame and smoke and a long burn, or the G38, with black smoke. You might need a shorter delay with those motors. It's a lot of fun flying the same rocket on different motors!

What kind of rocket is it, and how much does it weigh? If it calls for an Estes motor, is it an Estes kit? If it's a known kit, somebody here should be able to tell you about other motor options. There might even be some F motor options that don't require hazmat.

Also, if you are going to a club launch, you'll meet lots of friendly helpful people who will be able to help you.

Is this an Estes kit and the recommended motor? If so OpenRocket or Rocksim can give alternative motors to use and what delay is closest.

Nope, it's Aerotech.

As noffie said, the Estes and Aerotech G80 are the same thing.

I have tried OpenRocket, and it recommends 7 second delay motors.

I'd say "most" G motors will need a 7 second delay for your rocket, whether they be single use or reloadable. Within a second, anyway.

If you are going to a club launch, you might want to find out if there will be a vendor onsite. You'll probably pay a few bucks more per motor than the best prices online, but there won't be any hazmat or shipping costs. It's usually a better deal if you don't want to buy a lot of motors in one order (I usually start to break even when I buy 10 or more online, and that's a lot of money in one shot).

Also, if your rocket calls specifically for a G80-7T, then there is a very good chance it will also fly great on other high-thrust single-use G motors. The 80 in the motor designation tells you that the average thrust is 80 newtons, and any motor close to that will likely work too. The T at the end is a code for the propellant in that motor --- Blue Thunder, which has blue flame, little smoke, loud sound, and is very fast. Aerotech makes other kinds of single-use G motors with different kinds of propellants, different thrust and different burn times. A G79-7W has white flame and white smoke. G78-7G has green flame. G77-7R has bright red flame. Depending on how heavy your rocket is, other lower-thrusting, longer-burning motors might work too, like the G40, with white flame and smoke and a long burn, or the G38, with black smoke. You might need a shorter delay with those motors. It's a lot of fun flying the same rocket on different motors!

What kind of rocket is it, and how much does it weigh? If it calls for an Estes motor, is it an Estes kit? If it's a known kit, somebody here should be able to tell you about other motor options. There might even be some F motor options that don't require hazmat.

Also, if you are going to a club launch, you'll meet lots of friendly helpful people who will be able to help you.

Oops, I didn't see you there,

I'll make sure to call my club and ask if any vendors are selling there, and the rocket is a Astrobee-D.

Thanks for the advice

Bill

Re Wildman: If you buy a 29/40-120 casing for $42, and 2 x G76-7 reloads for $11 each, total $64 (does not need hazmat), that's the same as 2 G80-7 reloads $ 18 + $28 hazmat. And you can fly other reloads with different propellants, for $11 each, going forward. Just a thought. I love my 29/40-120 casings and reloads for the flexibility!

I kinda like mine too..... :)

11719993823_748eb59cbd.jpg

can't beat $11 G76's G64's, G53's, the bunch of F and E's, not liking the G138's.... but G76's all day...F52 here and there.....

I kinda like mine too..... :)

11719993823_748eb59cbd.jpg

can't beat $11 G76's G64's, G53's, the bunch of F and E's, not liking the G138's.... but G76's all day...F52 here and there.....

I am trying to resist the temptation of using reload motors, but the casings are just too expensive since I need only one motor. However if I was using 29mm's often I would probably buy it.

I am trying to resist the temptation of using reload motors, but the casings are just too expensive since I need only one motor. However if I was using 29mm's often I would probably buy it.

As someone mentioned above... the casing is $50, the reloads are ten. So 2 reloads and the case shipped, are the same as 2 G80's shipped. If you fly twice a year, reloads make sense. I try to fly at least 20...so I make out.

I had thought that too, but the reload case will pay for itself rather quickly compared to a single use :p

I have the 24 and 29mm Aerotech 'Hobbyline' cases. I also have some Cesaroni cases, which are less expensive, but the reloads can be more expensive, especially with Hazmat. That's why I buy them onsite...

I have the 24 and 29mm Aerotech 'Hobbyline' cases. I also have some Cesaroni cases, which are less expensive, but the reloads can be more expensive, especially with Hazmat. That's why I buy them onsite...

yea....this reload thing gets out of hand fast.... (I've since sold 3/4 of this...and well....just got bigger cases)
15027464585_e1600febd8_z.jpg

Last edited:
yea....this reload thing gets out of hand fast.... (I've since sold 3/4 of this...and well....just got bigger cases)
15027464585_e1600febd8_z.jpg

My case ID is not great, but I think the one to the far left is the one I want next... Is that a 38mm 1G?

Back