First thoughts about a design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessalco

Reaction score
I'd like some feedback about a design idea. The rocket will be a 3 x 29mm cluster, all Skyripper G69 hybrids. This will likely be one of the last hybrid rockets I build, so I want to do something memorable and unique. I've successfully clustered two of these motors repeatedly. I got a good deal on another motor set and some reloads, so I want to give this a try.

It would be EZ-PZ to make a 3FNC that would seriously outperform what I'm considering. Been there.

Here's a hack-up of the design idea. Rocksim says it's stable on two or three engines. One engine it goes just high enough to be risky.

Capture.JPG

The real deal will be all CF laid up in smooth curves. The nose cones on the pods would be fairings sweeping to the main. There would not be three independent tubes for the motors, the body will be one structure with voids for the motors. The wing fins would be CF over a foam core, with vertical fins a plywood composite structure. I know this idea will have a pretty serious tendency to weathervane, but since it's pushing to over 6K I wouldn't be flying it on windy days anyway.

Anyone flown something like this? Anyone see problems I should consider?

Thanks for the input.

Kevin O

I have nothing to offer, but I am curious. What size motors? Are you planning for glide recovery or traditional?

Even blowing things up gets old after a while ;) Plus I have a pile of CF, a quart of West System, and no other plans for the winter.

The reloads are stash, Al, plus I lucked into 2 complete packs a few months ago. I have, all told, 14 complete (including starter) and 2 partial left. This rocket will likely fly only once.

I also still have ten 38mm and two 54mm.

Back