Remembering the Challenger

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcobbva

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As it hits 30 years ago today, cannot help but think about those we lost on the shuttle Challenger. Bless our fallen astronauts and their families. Will never forget that launch, so sad it was a bad choice to launch in the cold that day.

I remember when this happened. I was 10 years old. My friend and I were re-enacting the video on the news with Legos, not fully understanding the loss of life part. Weird that it's been 30 years.

For my birthday one year I got a 5-DVD set of the entire NASA space program from the 50's up to about 2005. On one of the discs, there was the entire video report about the Challenger disaster. A highly technical analysis that showed exactly what happened.

That's where I learned that the shuttle didn't explode, but was knocked sideways by the rapid depressurization of the external tank and therefore broke apart due to aerodynamic forces. They were alive - maybe not all conscious, but alive until the crew cabin hit the water.

It was heartbreaking to also see the video of the crowd as well as Christa McAuliffe's parents watching as it happened. I can't imagine what that must have been like to go from such a proud excited moment to the worst moment any person can experience in such a short time.

I was in college. When it happened, I think I was in an art class. The instructor stopped the class, wheeled in a TV, and we all just sat and watched. That, and 9-11, were the two times in my life I can remember everyone just stopping everything and huddling around the TV.

I was at the counter of Hobb Electrical Supply...
It was a really busy morning,, maybe 30 customers waiting for their orders...
The radio was on ( as always ),, someone heard something and hushed the crowd...
You could've heard a pin drop....

I will never forget listening to that in utter disbelief for the rest of my life....

Yes John,,
Me too,,
This one and 9/11.........

Teddy

I remember watching the giant "Y" of smoke in the sky. I was in 4th grade and it was a big deal for us to get to watch the launches--that was usually just reserved for the 8th graders. We were sitting in the library in silence, except for my teacher who was crying.

It was my junior year of high school, we were watching the launch in English class. Why English class you might ask,well because our teacher was one of the finalists for the Teacher in Space program. As one of the gifts to the teachers who were part of the training they were given a gift pack containing a protective tile from the heat shielding and a number of other items. To say everyone was shocked was an understatement.

A very sad day. I can still remember the cameras following the crew cabin as it fell and impacted with the ocean. I was mad at NASA for not having an escape system for the flight crew and it brought back a dream I had from the 60's in which a rocket exploded and killed the crew. The day was ruined, didn't want to do anything and the images are imbedded for ever, in my mind.

I remember that moment well. I was still going to college and also working at a medical supply firm here in North Texas. There was a radio on in the office and the program was stopped for the news announcement. The office of about a dozen people instantly fell silent, in shock. I did not see it on television until I got home that night.

Hard to believe 30 years have passed by since that sad day.

Barbra Morgan recalls Challenger
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35401768

PBS special about Barbra Morgan and her space shuttle flight.

https://video.idahoptv.org/video/1774446496/

I was working in the control room at KAID-TV that day. Most everyone in the building had crowded into the control room to watch the launch. It took quite awhile for the impact of what had happened to sink in. I'll never forget the stunned silence and shock that sad day.

Last edited:
A day I will never forget as well, nor my wife. We where sitting in a spot that we had watched shuttle launches from many times, I remember thinking something is very wrong when the normal smoke trail we could see from Tampa turned into a Y . The radio interrupted Major Tom - they always played that during a launch, and we heard the news. Was late back from lunch that day , as we both sat there in disbelief.

I watched it live on CNN with my parents; we had just sat down for lunch.

I knew enough about the shuttle design to know instantly the crew was doomed and the dimwit blathering of the teevee commentators was useless.

I won't get into politics here other than to say I'm getting pretty torched off by a certain contingent on Farcebook taking the date as more of an opportunity to salute a yammering old politician blathering out some pretty platitudes (and neglecting to order the immediate development of a truly safe replacement launch system) than to salute the courage of the crews of Challenger, Columbia and Apollo 1 who actually did make the ultimate sacrifice. Like a doddering old gaffer reading poetry into a camera deserves as much tribute as the people who actually died.

I was in grade school in Toronto, and my class was brought into the library to watch the launch. Thinking back, shuttle launches had become a bit routine, and I think the plan was for us to watch McAuliffe's first lesson from space. When it exploded everyone got really quiet, and I remember thinking "I guess this is why we were brought in watch". I understood the loss of life but didn't really comprehend it. We all just went back to our classrooms and carried on... but there's no denying the rest of the day was more than a bit off.

They were very courageous. The Challenger crew, as well as Columbia and Apollo 1 made the ULTIMATE, ultimate sacrifice. They were all part of the most important, righteous cause that humans have ever had.

It makes me mad to know that people were working hard to have the launch cancelled because they knew there was a high chance of catastrophic failure, and they weren't listened to by the higher ups because they didn't want to cancel the launch for various non-safety related reasons.

It makes me mad to know that people were working hard to have the launch cancelled because they knew there was a high chance of catastrophic failure, and they weren't listened to by the higher ups because they didn't want to cancel the launch for various non-safety related reasons.

A friend of mine described it as "launch head". "Nothing has ever gone wrong, nothing ever will, push the button!".

A friend of mine described it as "launch head". "Nothing has ever gone wrong, nothing ever will, push the button!".

Also known as "Go Fever," which too often afflicts even us way down in model rocketry.

And everybody romanticizes it sometimes. Everybody laughs and says, "man, Alan Shepard sure was badass when he said, 'let's light this candle!' on Freedom 7," but if things had gone wrong and he blew up, who knows when or if the Mercury program would have ever gotten back on track?

We know now that NASA fully expected a flight failure rate of 10% in Mercury-Gemini-Apollo, but expecting it is one thing and having Flight One go boom is another. And somehow I suspect JFK would have quickly rolled back on that whole going-to-the-moon idea if the first Mercury flight had been a disaster.

Just makes you think again about the courage it took to actually climb into those capsules.

Last edited:
I remember this day like it was yesterday...I was still in college...living at home and I was eating lunch in the kitchen with my mom and there was a cut in on the TV and the announcer said there had been a serious malfunction with the Shuttle....I watched the video and said that is not a malfunction...its destroyed! stared in utter shock, disbelief and horror...God bless them

I was in grade school in Toronto, and my class was brought into the library to watch the launch. Thinking back, shuttle launches had become a bit routine, and I think the plan was for us to watch McAuliffe's first lesson from space. When it exploded everyone got really quiet, and I remember thinking "I guess this is why we were brought in watch". I understood the loss of life but didn't really comprehend it. We all just went back to our classrooms and carried on... but there's no denying the rest of the day was more than a bit off.

I also was in Toronto, and had been responsible for the satellite TV relay to all of Michigan for the students to watch the launch. Perhaps you were watching the signal that was being relayed via the M-star network. Odd that we're connected that way.

I was in my first year of College, had the morning off and was making lunch and watching the launch live. I can totally remember where I was like it was yesterday, that and 911 are burned into my memory as events I watched live on TV.

I was just watching videos on Christa McAuliffe which had many interviews including a recent one with her mother, as well as another video on the discussion that took place between the engineers at the booster facility and NASA. According to what you believe it really seems like the loss was an avoidable situation, which sadly almost makes it a senseless loss. I say almost because hopefully the lessons learned in this and the Columbia disaster will continue to have a positive effect on future missions.

The following is something that haunts my thoughts on the disaster and was cut and pasted from the cause of death section on the Wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster

The crew cabin, made of reinforced aluminum, was a particularly robust section of the shuttle. During vehicle breakup, it detached in one piece and slowly tumbled into a ballistic arc. NASA estimated the load factor at separation to be between 12 and 20 g; within two seconds it had already dropped to below 4 g and within 10 seconds the cabin was in free fall. The forces involved at this stage were likely insufficient to cause major injury.

At least some of the crew were likely alive and at least briefly conscious after the breakup, as the four recovered Personal Egress Air Packs (PEAPs) on the flight deck were found to have been activated. Investigators found their remaining unused air supply consistent with the expected consumption during the 2 minute 45 second post-breakup trajectory.

While analyzing the wreckage, investigators discovered that several electrical system switches on Pilot Mike Smith's right-hand panel had been moved from their usual launch positions. Fellow astronaut Richard Mullane wrote, "These switches were protected with lever locks that required them to be pulled outward against a spring force before they could be moved to a new position." Later tests established that neither force of the explosion nor the impact with the ocean could have moved them, indicating that Smith made the switch changes, presumably in a futile attempt to restore electrical power to the cockpit after the crew cabin detached from the rest of the orbiter.

Whether the crew members remained conscious long after the breakup is unknown, and largely depends on whether the detached crew cabin maintained pressure integrity. If it did not, the time of useful consciousness at that altitude is just a few seconds; the PEAPs supplied only unpressurized air, and hence would not have helped the crew to retain consciousness. If, on the other hand, the cabin was not depressurized or only slowly depressurizing, they may have been conscious for the entire fall until impact. Recovery of the cabin found that the middeck floor had not suffered buckling or tearing, as would result from a rapid decompression, thus providing some evidence that the depressurization may have not happened all at once.

NASA routinely trained shuttle crews for splashdown events, but the cabin hit the ocean surface at roughly 207 mph (333 km/h), with an estimated deceleration at impact of well over 200 g, far beyond the structural limits of the crew compartment or crew survivability levels, and far greater than almost any automobile, aircraft, or train accident.

It was my junior year of high school, we were watching the launch in English class. Why English class you might ask,well because our teacher was one of the finalists for the Teacher in Space program. As one of the gifts to the teachers who were part of the training they were given a gift pack containing a protective tile from the heat shielding and a number of other items. To say everyone was shocked was an understatement.

Wow Rich. That is really close to home! I can only imagine how that impacted all of you!

I was at the office, one of the senior staff, this lady a little older than me, came out of her cubicle after putting the phone down abruptly and announced to everyone "The space shuttle has blown up, and pieces are falling into the ocean!"

I took off at lunch to go to the nearest electronics store to look at the TV reports to try and understand what happened and what the situation was.
Some of us talked it over that afternoon.

Before the day was over, I got into an argument with this lady.
She said we'll never find out what went wrong - the pieces are in the ocean.
I told her look - this was a mechanical failure - or an act of God ......so take your pick.
I think she thought it was an act of God.

The first reports of the SRB failure hit the Washigton Post w/in about two weeks as I recall.
Some of those guys at Thiokol started talking.

I was in my first year of College, had the morning off and was making lunch and watching the launch live. I can totally remember where I was like it was yesterday, that and 911 are burned into my memory as events I watched live on TV.

I was just watching videos on Christa McAuliffe which had many interviews including a recent one with her mother, as well as another video on the discussion that took place between the engineers at the booster facility and NASA. According to what you believe it really seems like the loss was an avoidable situation, which sadly almost makes it a senseless loss. I say almost because hopefully the lessons learned in this and the Columbia disaster will continue to have a positive effect on future missions.

The following is something that haunts my thoughts on the disaster and was cut and pasted from the cause of death section on the Wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster

The crew cabin, made of reinforced aluminum, was a particularly robust section of the shuttle. During vehicle breakup, it detached in one piece and slowly tumbled into a ballistic arc. NASA estimated the load factor at separation to be between 12 and 20 g; within two seconds it had already dropped to below 4 g and within 10 seconds the cabin was in free fall. The forces involved at this stage were likely insufficient to cause major injury.

At least some of the crew were likely alive and at least briefly conscious after the breakup, as the four recovered Personal Egress Air Packs (PEAPs) on the flight deck were found to have been activated. Investigators found their remaining unused air supply consistent with the expected consumption during the 2 minute 45 second post-breakup trajectory.

While analyzing the wreckage, investigators discovered that several electrical system switches on Pilot Mike Smith's right-hand panel had been moved from their usual launch positions. Fellow astronaut Richard Mullane wrote, "These switches were protected with lever locks that required them to be pulled outward against a spring force before they could be moved to a new position." Later tests established that neither force of the explosion nor the impact with the ocean could have moved them, indicating that Smith made the switch changes, presumably in a futile attempt to restore electrical power to the cockpit after the crew cabin detached from the rest of the orbiter.

Whether the crew members remained conscious long after the breakup is unknown, and largely depends on whether the detached crew cabin maintained pressure integrity. If it did not, the time of useful consciousness at that altitude is just a few seconds; the PEAPs supplied only unpressurized air, and hence would not have helped the crew to retain consciousness. If, on the other hand, the cabin was not depressurized or only slowly depressurizing, they may have been conscious for the entire fall until impact. Recovery of the cabin found that the middeck floor had not suffered buckling or tearing, as would result from a rapid decompression, thus providing some evidence that the depressurization may have not happened all at once.

NASA routinely trained shuttle crews for splashdown events, but the cabin hit the ocean surface at roughly 207 mph (333 km/h), with an estimated deceleration at impact of well over 200 g, far beyond the structural limits of the crew compartment or crew survivability levels, and far greater than almost any automobile, aircraft, or train accident.

My God....
I was not aware of this. ...
That is absolutely haunting. ...

Teddy

Back