Where to mount chute?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketNerd

Reaction score
How far up or down the line is optimal to tie the chute? Closer to the nose cone or the middle, or closer to the tube? I always tie mine off right in the middle but now im thinking a bit closer to the nose cone might be better?

I try to mount mine in a manner that will prevent the nosecone from hitting the fin can when it's under canopy. It also depends on how long the shroud lines are.

I once was testing a zipperless design and managed to blow the recovery bay off the fincan, but the parachute didn't extract. Now I make sure that the mounting point for zipperless deployments is far enough back to ensure that the chute will come out upon separation.

Also important to note, make sure that your nosecone is securely attached to the recovery bay when using a zipperless design. My Cherokee D PSII 2.5" upscale nearly impacted the ground when the nosecone and the bay separated. The chute got stuck in the bay. I got lucky though, at the last possible moment, it extracted and deployed. Unfortunately, my camera's battery chose that exact moment to die.

[video=youtube;3qrm-fAsqLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qrm-fAsqLI[/video]

My next comment was "YAY!!! I meant to do that!!!", but honestly I was quite embarrassed by the close call.

Last edited:
Bummer! Although nice straight launch you had there!
Also noticed you said (oh shoot) when the "chute" didnt come out lol. Corny i know

Bummer! Although nice straight launch you had there!
Also noticed you said (oh shoot) when the "chute" didnt come out lol. Corny i know

Trust me, I had another word that was just screaming in my head when the chute didn't pop out. However, there were kids present, and I didn't need to be THAT guy.

Again, though, just as the camera died, the chute did pop out and deploy feet off of the ground. I was right however, I didn't need to walk far.

I put the chute pretty far towards the nose cone. About 3/4 of the way up. That's of the exposed cord, not the stuff hidden in the payload tube. You don't want it to smash into the rocket and damage your beautiful paint job (or in my case, the hack rattle can job)

I never tie the parachute to the nose cone base anymore.
If the kit supplied shock cord seems short, add a longer length cord.
I tie mine about 1/3 the way down from the nose cone.
This keeps the nose cone from swinging in and out of the shroud lines and tangling.
The nose cone is also far enough away and won't be hitting the body on the way down.

I do mine a little different. I put the chute at the end of the chord and put the nose cone about 1/3 of the way down. I have found that this allows the rocket to hang better under the chute and minimizes the "circling" of the nose cone and rocket under the chute. You should give it a try.

I do mine a little different. I put the chute at the end of the chord and put the nose cone about 1/3 of the way down. I have found that this allows the rocket to hang better under the chute and minimizes the "circling" of the nose cone and rocket under the chute. You should give it a try.

Now I never thought of that! I get stuck in my tracks (my way of thinking) like a streetcar...

Any negatives anyone can think up? It would definitely keep that NC from beating up my "wonderful" rattle can paint job and make it look nice and linear on the way down!

+1 on this. I've started doing this too. I haven't converted all of my rockets. Most chutes are about 1/5 to 1/4 the way down from the nose cone, but whenever I disassemble the recovery for any reason it usually goes back with the chute on the end and the nose cone about 1/5 the way down.

Most of my shock cords already have a loop about a 1/3 of the way down, so making the change is as easy as it gets. My rockets seem to land much better as you do not get as much side landing force which tends to break/damage fins.

+1

At least when I remember to do it that way. :)

-- Roger

I have to agree with everyone here. The first time I tried it, a LOC IV on a H180, it looked like someone was lowering it by a cable. No spinning, no pendulum swinging, just a beautiful, stable descent.

Back