Motor retention LOC Aura

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalPh8

Reaction score
Just got an LOC Aura and I'm looking for the best way to do motor retention for it. I'm not a fan of friction fitting and I believe the Estes 29mm motor retainer is too wide for the narrow body of the Aura. Any other suggestions from other Aura flyers??

Thank you!

Just got an LOC Aura and I'm looking for the best way to do motor retention for it. I'm not a fan of friction fitting and I believe the Estes 29mm motor retainer is too wide for the narrow body of the Aura. Any other suggestions from other Aura flyers??

Thank you!

I actually used an Estes "hook" retainer, but spaced it to allow for the thrust ring. If you've already built though... that might be hard.

What about an Aeropack retainer?

I was looking at those. There's not much clearance between the motor mount and the body of the Aura. I know for a fact the Estes retainers are too wide. I don't possess an Aeropack retainer so I cant check at home. I'll do it if it fits in the gap. The MM is 29mm and the body is 38mm so there's a 9mm gap ....

I was looking at those. There's not much clearance between the motor mount and the body of the Aura. I know for a fact the Estes retainers are too wide. I don't possess an Aeropack retainer so I cant check at home. I'll do it if it fits in the gap. The MM is 29mm and the body is 38mm so there's a 9mm gap ....

Not the Aura, but I've done an Aeropack on a Loc Weasel which is the same diameter. It was a retrofit, so I had to do some grinding on the motor mount tube, but it worked just fine.. until I lost the weasel when it came in ballistic into the woods at a launch :)

The Aeropack will fit on the Aura. The Estes will work also, however will stick over the edges just a tad. The part that sticks over the edge however is just the finger groves and do not create too much drag. Another option on a 38mm body with a 29mm hole is a slim line tailcone retainer from GLR. I just used one of these recently on a Madcow Black Brant that came out awesome!!

If you build an Aura correctly, put a good paint job on it, seal the paint job, at ca to the inside of the body tube, and have safe recovery, it should last a long time. I replaced the LOC supplied shock cord mount with kevlar wrapped around the motor mount and epoxied in place. At some point this might wear out and need replacing, and their are options for that. But this should last several dozen flights, provided it doesn't end up in a tree for weeks at a time or in a pond/lake/stream/canal. The LOC nose cones are solid, though the attachment point is not, which is why I cut them off and have other attachment means.

Thank you!

I've got the Estes retainer on mine. Works great. Definitely not too wide.

I used the Estes retainer. If you sand down the ribbing on the outer screw on cap of the retainer, it is still structurally fine and matches the OD of the Aura tube perfectly.

Really? Does it not stick out wider than the body tube? I test fitted one and it came up wide.

The ribs stick out slightly, but I just use it as-is, and it works great. That rocket kicks so much ass that the tiny extra drag doesn't change the performance much at all.

Tape, but not friction fit. Use it to wrap around rear closure and motor tube. Works every time when done correctly.

Back